Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Jails, institutions and death--I made a big mistake

Notices

Jails, institutions and death--I made a big mistake

Old 12-14-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Night owl

Thanks Kzaug. I actually dread my birthday every year and get depressed like many people do. I can't wait for it to be over. But I truly believe the energy you have on that day, what happens, plays out through the year. Its happened to me dozens of times so it's from experience that I speak and fear.

I haven't been able to change my thoughts, I don't know if it's possible for me, maybe too much early brain damage. But if that works for you that's terrific. I'd like to hear how you do with it.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Well let me be the first to say: Happy Birthday! You didn't have to spend it in court! I'd call that a plus in the right direction!

TOD
Old 12-14-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

I'm like Kz! Another birthday is just another birthday to me! That is when it rolls around! I'm a Leap Year Baby! Gotta wait every four years to have a real BIRTH day! LOL

So I guess I got ya beat on that every other year celebration? HUH?

TOD
Old 12-14-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

So glad you got rescheduled. Maybe look at the birthday part as a fresh start?

That was quite a storm yesterday, and i hope you are safe and warm in the aftermath!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
Thanks Kzaug. I actually dread my birthday every year and get depressed like many people do. I can't wait for it to be over. But I truly believe the energy you have on that day, what happens, plays out through the year. Its happened to me dozens of times so it's from experience that I speak and fear.
I think that might be a tad too much pressure to put on your birthday. Especially if you say you dread it and get depressed about it sounds like you are already setting yourself up for failure.

I live one day at a time and every day is a day to celebrate life. Whether it be your 16,000th day on earth or whatever trying to place expectations on any one day just might lead you to being disappointed in the end, but that is me. Whatever works for you. Take each day as it comes - each moment as it comes. Obsessing is wasted energy in my mind - put that energy towards good thoughts.

Take Care Lyoness!!!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always think of a birthday as the start of a new year, so maybe going to court can be part of 'out with the old', lyoness?

D
Old 12-15-2015, 12:18 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
Hi Lyoness,
I'm glad they rescheduled court for ya! Look on the bright side, when ya get to our age, b-days are no big deal anyways. In fact, I'd like to skip them every other year, then it will take me twice as long to reach 80, lol!
This is a little off subject, but have you ever read the sticky on the top of the Anxiety Forum entitled "Emotional Memory Management?" I think it could really help someone w/PTSD. It says there are 2 parts to a person's memory. The memory itself and the emotional response to that memory. Then, it goes on to say that it takes 90-120 seconds for that emotional response to emerge after the memory. And if you think about something happy ( like things our pets do or just a beautiful, happy day you had in the past ) you can escape from the negative emotion from that bad memory. I just read that this past wk. & was so excited bout that revelation that I'm posting about it everywhere lol. The Sticky words it much better than I did. Definitely worth a looks see. Big (( Hugs ))
Kzaug, I don't know if this fall's under what you were suggesting but I just watched a PBS show that had a lot of positive imagery and got my mind off my anxiety. Since you said you like pets I thought you might enjoy it too. It's part of the Nature series and is called "Pets: Wild at Heart: Playful creatures. It might be online too. Anyone who loves animals and needs to change their thoughts (like I do) will enjoy it.

And let me know how that technique works for you. I was talking to my neighbor earlier about ways she's changed some of her thinking. For me it has always been a slow painstaking process that doesn't always work. That's why I feel hopeless about it so much.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Instead of dwelling on the misfortunes of yesterday be grateful for the power of today. Becoming aware of this life lesson will help set you free. Free of regret, guilt and bad energy in general. Getting over your past is a part of life we all have to face. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Now, stop being a humbug on your birthday and be a good hostess. Put on some Christmas music get out the paper plates and forks blow out the candles and let us all celebrate this special day with you.

Each day we live is a gift, Lyoness. So thank your higher power in the morning for another day of life, and thank your higher power in the evening for getting you through the day.

Hugs and prayers
TB
Old 12-15-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

I haven't been able to change my thoughts, I don't know if it's possible for me, maybe too much early brain damage. But if that works for you that's terrific. I'd like to hear how you do with it.
Do you think that the way that you think about your birthday is a self fulfilling prophecy? If you are sure you are going to feel awful on your birthday and for the year ahead it is likely that you will. I don't know the solution but maybe do your utmost this year to have some good thoughts and see where that takes you? I do realise that thinking is not easy nor is it the answer to every problem but it might might might just make you feel a little bit better
Old 12-15-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Lyoness! Remember, this is your year! Bombard your senses w/positivity...eyes w/imagery, ears w/music you like, buy yourself a rose & enjoy it's fragrance throughout the day, etc. Read every self help book you can get your hands on. I just started reading The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, subtitled Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are.
Psychosomatic thoughts can either work for you or against you. If you think you're going to have a lousy birthday, you will. If you say to yourself, "this is my year & it's going to better than last yr.," you will. I truly believe this.

Ty for PBS recommendation, but I got rid of cable last yr. to have more $ for drugs ugh. I also pawned my PC, yikes lol. I decided not to order cable ( or buy another PC ) again because of my addictive nature. I tend to go overboard with everything & I wanted to be more productive this yr. Now, we listen to music all day & into the evening, everyday. And, I'm getting loads of work & projects done this yr ( which makes me feel very fulfilled.

Big Birthday (( Hugs ))
Old 12-15-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy birthday Lyoness

Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

P.S. We have 2 dogs, both girls ( Chihuahua & her baby, a chi-poo ) & a cat that my son rescued from a busy intersection when she was about 3-4wks old. Now that our children are all grown, they're our babies. They're all about 7-9lbs & the same size. And our cat thinks she's a dog lol. She runs to the door w/our doggies when someone comes over, fetches & jumps on our laps when we call her.
They're all very sweet!

Let us know what happens at court, k? ((( Hugs )))
Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Night owl

Hey everyone, thank you so much for the birthday wishes and suggestions to help me get through. Wonderful gifts!

I tried to post more last night but SR went down right as I was trying to submit it. Then no more SR all night. Plus internet is down here so I'm on my phone. I admit I am a cavewoman but it sure is a great thing to be able to get online with my little ten dollar phone!

Last night I was saying that I was going to try as you all suggested, to let court be the last of the old and try to focus on moving forward and what I want. That's what I meant about setting the tone for the year. I try to think about what I want--call it prayers or focusing or positive hopes or whatever. It's just me trying to make the changes I want and I hope for in the ways I can. Birthdays feel like beginning and ending to me, a personal new year.

So tomorrow I'll have court, I hope it will go fast so I don't have to spend hours of my birthday there--just go in, stand with my lawyer and then get out as fast as possible. And let that sh** be in the PAST!

My neighbor said she'd go with me again which is very nice of her. It helps to feel like there's a person on my side beside the lawyer which is a strange relationship. He's defending me but is busy, confusing at times and doesn't really help me decide what to do which I thought was part of what they're supposed to do. Guide and recommend. But maybe I'm not fully understanding his role. He says, repeatedly, that my case is very complex, more so than many others. Maybe that's why he can't or won't suggest what I should do.

Anyway, once I find out what mental health court entails (my counselor got me a name and number of someone who can tell me--hopefully any way). Then I can start to get past this.

My neighbors offered to buy me lunch for my bday so that is a really sweet thing. I'm hoping to go to a town about an hour away and poke around and shop, etc. It's a small but vibrant place that has a positive vibe/energy, surrounded by mountains and golden hills and there's even lithium in the underground water supply, so would be a good place to be. That's one reason I hope court is fast, with short days and a bit of a drive I'd like some daytime light if possible.

I feel like I'm babbling so I'll try to finish. I really mainly wanted to say thank you all for all the good wishes and thoughts. I am thinking about what you say and trying to learn. My brain likes to absorb things slowly so that I get more out of it. Sort of like a crockpot (or crackpot) and let everything run by every other thing in it.

So : and everyone!

P.S. I love all the smilies! And can we eat that cake Timebusters?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes for tomorrow Lyoness - and I think I missed actually wishing you a happy birthday- so happy birthday

D
Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
P.S. We have 2 dogs, both girls ( Chihuahua & her baby, a chi-poo ) & a cat that my son rescued from a busy intersection when she was about 3-4wks old. Now that our children are all grown, they're our babies. They're all about 7-9lbs & the same size. And our cat thinks she's a dog lol. She runs to the door w/our doggies when someone comes over, fetches & jumps on our laps when we call her.
They're all very sweet!

Let us know what happens at court, k? ((( Hugs )))
Your fur family sounds wonderful. I have just one kitty, a big tabby boy and he has saved me at times. I consider my housesit kitty as family, too, along with some other critters. I tend to think other species are superior to humans at times, lol. They sure give love unconditionally.

I hear you on the tv thing. It can be addictive and expensive. But if you were interested you could probably watch the animal videos online or maybe your local library has it. It was so good. I only have an antenna and adaptor at home, I'm grateful PBS is one of the channels I can get!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Best wishes for tomorrow Lyoness - and I think I missed actually wishing you a happy birthday- so happy birthday

D
Thanks Dee!

It's weird. I didn't write about my bday in hopes of getting attention for it, Ii usually shy away from that. I was really just freaking out about court and all that.

But I can really feel everyone's kind wishes and it feels good (something I don't allow myself much). I am really touched by all of your caring and kindness.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you weren't fishing for birthday wishes, but I'm really glad it feels good

D
Old 12-16-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

You know I had to do it lyoness!

TOD
Old 12-16-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

And can we eat that cake Timebusters?
Dude, we are all waiting for you to cut the cake so you can give us all a slice. I'm dying for a piece of birthday cake LOL

Peace and love and many many more birthdays to come, Lyoness

Hugs and prayers
TB
Old 12-16-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Hi Lyoness,
Just a friendly quick hello! I'll be back later.
Big (( Hugs ))