Notices

The Day I Decided To Quit Painers

Old 09-14-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

You guys had me crying here!! Omg that was funny in our sick way lol!!! I needed that! Good luck at the game!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Great job Brian on One week!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Thanx Cleanin for the kind words I know he still loves his dad especially now he's the most important person in my life even though I was addicted I never shoved him aside
Old 09-14-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Well I've made it eight days opie free tomorrows Monday I need to take on things I've been putting off utilities I owe city income tax a list that starting to stress me out mind just feels foggy and unorganized I just hate to deal with anything but I know its not going away have to deal with it sometime wish I could do like I did this past week and just worry about my not using wish me luck
Old 09-14-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Alright, Brian if you haven't gone to bed yet....just wanted to congratulate you on your eight days! That's amazing! You are going strong!

You mentioned having a list of things to do tomorrow. I think that's a excellent way to get organized. Making a short to do list each morning. True....life goes on, and there are things that we need to do to keep things running smoothly in our lives. But we still need to keep it as simple as possible in early recovery.

A very common scenario is someone in early recovery starts thinking about all the time that he/she has wasted being an addict. Now that person is clean.....can think clearer than ever before so thoughts are turned towards the need for catching up! They suddenly want to tackle each and everything that they've put off doing for all those years they've been addicted and let things go. It's ok to want to clean up those messes....to want to start working on things they've neglected. In fact, its a good thing. But what often happens is that the person reaches a certain point where they start to fizzle out and become tired. Because it just isnt normal to keep that level of excitement and energy going for a long period of time. At that moment they become very vulnerable for a relapse. Another thing that hapoens is they start getting frustrated. Because in the real world things don't always go as planned. Frustration is another trigger for some people. So the best thing to do is like the saying goes. "Slow and steady wins the race."

So if it helps you to relax....avoid frustration.....avoid too much stress. Take another look at that list.....and only do those things that are completely necessary okay? Now if those things can be done in a short amount of time and they do not cause too much stress and energy.....you can add one more that you would like to get done...but if you can't get to it....its ok. But before that one extra thing, you must add something that you enjoy doing. Something that will get that dopamine flowing to your brain.

Just my thoughts on that. Take what you want and leave the rest.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Thanks Cleanin my mind feels so goggy I just wabt to lay here and do nothing no motivation to do anything hope it gets better in the next day felt pretty good yesterday cause I knew that nobody would bother me its just weird the thought of using hasnt crossed my mind thank God
Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hey, do you remember what I posted before about it not being linear? Please remember that, if you are feeling a little down today.

Some days are harder than others in early recovery, it just does that to mess with our heads, I think. It would be so much easier if we knew each new day would be better than the last, but the truth is not that simple.

It will happen though, when suddenly you realize you haven't thought about it all day, that things finally feel totally normal, and that is an amazing feeling.

Good luck Brian!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

I remember now blue will go back and read thanks so much just got done taking a walk sat at the little park not far from my house looking at the playground started thinking about my little boy and me started crying just some emotional crap my sons sixteen now we've always been close even my using years I did the best I could for him oh well this shall pass
Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

It will pass, Brian. I can promise you that.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brian810 View Post
I remember now blue will go back and read thanks so much just got done taking a walk sat at the little park not far from my house looking at the playground started thinking about my little boy and me started crying just some emotional crap my sons sixteen now we've always been close even my using years I did the best I could for him oh well this shall pass
My oldest son is 15 and he and I have been very close throughout, too. The idea of him being almost grown can easily reduce me to tears, I guess because I feel I've wasted time, all that energy and money that should have been directed at him but wasn't. BUT!! I refuse to beat myself up about it anymore, it's onward and upward from here.
You sound like a great dad, especially with the football and all. please don't feel sad.

Also, if the last generation is any indication, our sons will probably return home a couple times before they settle. So there's that.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Hi Brian sorry I was MIA this morning......hubs missed the train, and my 12 year old son is home sick today! It's been quite a morning is all I can say!

I'm glad you got out for a walk Brian that's great! The emotions are also so common in early recovery! Just think about it! You've been numbing them for several years now. You aren't anymore. They are back and very very raw! So try not to be too alarmed about them.

I remember my first three months were ridiculous when it came to emotions! But try to think of it in a good way. You are alive again. Also, Brian I agree, you have been an awsome Dad! I can tell how much your son means to you.....so it's obvious that you have been there for him...and what you are doing now is the best thing for him. To have his Dad back completely is the best gift you could ever give him!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Yes Bluehpur you are right! That made me laugh. Our children stay with us longer and come back more than any other generation. I'm sure the cost of housing has something to do with it. Sheesh! My daughters could never afford their own apartment here. We can barely afford our mortgage!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Brian, I just wanted to say how proud I am of you to cold turkey that dose and stick with it. It aint no easy thing but you made it look that way. You are a solid dude.

There may be some bad days mixed in with the good ahead but you can do it.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Hey guys correct me if I'm wrong recovery is just like using a wild roller coaster ride with ups and downs or peaks and valleys I'm finally learning that only been nine days after a long long substance abuse history after thirty years of either drugs or alcohol my tiny brain is probably wondering whats going on lol
Last time I took a break was when I was in the Care Unit for twenty eight days at our local hospital several years ago I just can't touch any mood altering substances ever no matter how good or bad things get
Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Brian YES!!!! You are spot-on correct! That is exactly what recovery is like! so just hang-on and don't let go! Ride it out because that roller coaster ride gets slower and less bumpy as time goes on. You will do this....like TE said....you make it look easy! You are solid!

Another, YES, you cannot use substances of any kind anymore....just like I can't either! We are a different breed us addicts! We can get addicted to anything and everything. It's so good that you understand that!

You are just about thru your 9th day right? Tomorrow is the big 10!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Yes Cleanin ten tomorrow thanks to all for the helping hands i'd like to say it's easy as well as u know its not take care all
Old 09-15-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Hey Brian! Just thought I would check on you while I was here. Congrats on 9!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Pre-congrats on hitting double digits! Yeah!

I can totally understand....the first week I did quite well, then nosedived - the emotions all over the place, the lack of motivation, it's totally normal.

I also can relate to wishing other people would do stuff for me lol. If I could afford a personal assistant I just might
Old 09-15-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hi Brian and friends, I just read the entire thread - and I'm extremely happy I did. It's amazing too see all the motivational and helpful people that are here to answer your questions. I am really motivated to quit, im on my way there. I'm tapering slowing and keeping focus strictly on getting better. Reading this definitely keeps the fire burning! thanks everyone!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Hey I honestly think I would be eating oxys perks and vics today if it wasnt for you guys on this site thank you from the bottom of my new found heart