Notices

Off methadone 30 days

Old 04-01-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Blacklok - I don't have any advice on the timing because I have never kicked methadone. Also, I never had a physical job that I had to do while kicking.

However, I would say that even on no sleep I was able to show up to work the next day when I had to. It wasn't a physical job, but I still had to focus mentally which I found to be very difficult in itself. In some ways going to work was better because I was going to be miserable whether I went to work or not. At least work provided some form of distraction. I found the worst part to be when I was at home on the couch or kicking in bed.

You are going to have to go through the withdrawal at some point. There is no easy way out of it. You already have 6 days, which is a huge accomplishment. If you are in a situation where you have to work through withdrawal then there is no way around it. If you give up now you are going to be faced with the same situation in the future unless you change jobs. The only difference is that you are going to have to repeat the past 6 days.

Also, I think you may be getting overly stressed because you are worrying about days that are a week away. Only today matters at this point. Tomorrow will come and go to, but there is no point in worrying about tomorrow if you don't get through today.

Hopefully, the other guys with personal experience coming off methadone can share their experiences as far as the timing goes. Whatever happens you can do this. You have already accomplished so much.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Howdy Blacklok

Oh dude I feel deeply for you. If you can take the rest of the week off that would help. You are the man if you can go to work and go through withdrawl. Methadone will mess with your sleep for a while. Sleep when you can, I know it will not be fun. However you might get something from a doc that will help your sleep. Other than resting when you can, take vitamins and keep hydrated. Hang in there buddy you can do this, it won't be easy. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I am literally blown away at how much hope I've lost from how I felt day 4 to now.... day 7... I always heard it gets better before it gets worse but I don't see how it could! ! I haven't slept in 3 days more than 1 hour I'm guessing that's making up for all the time I spent sleeping on methadone! Marvin I seen you started feeling much better around the 3 week mark how was it at 2 weeks?I can't lose my job over this I may have to do this some other time unfortunately
Old 04-02-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Blacklok - is there any way that you can explain what is going on to your work if it came down to it? Would you lose your job if you fell ill with pneumonia or something else along those lines and had to be out for a while? I didn't share my story with many people, but the vast majority of the time that I did I got positive feedback even when I didn't expect it. Some of the people I shared it with had lost family members to addiction, and they knew how serious it really was. Obviously, only you know the specific dynamics of your work situation, and it may be a non-starter for you to tell anyone at your work.

You still have a lot of time between now and when you have to go back to work. I hope you turn the corner soon.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I'm with Opio. If you can, use the flu excuse. Wd looks alot like it so you will look the part.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hello to all of my friends, opiophobe, Marvin , tiredenough , and blacklok.
I would first like to thank everyone for the continuous support for all of us addicts out there that are just trying to recover and get back to that happy place again.

Today marks 57 days for me off the methadone... I still can't believe it. But I will note.. It was certainly no easy task. So, blacklok... You said it gets better before it gets worse but in my opinion it is exactly the opposite. For me, it got worse before it got better. There is no magical time that it gets better... I wouldn't be able to tell you 2 or 3 weeks. But what I can tell you is that everyone is different and it DOES eventually get better. It's just hard to put a time frame around it. In my personal experience around 3 weeks in I was doing better psychically. But you must prepare yourself for that. DO NOT BY ANY MEANS GO TO WORK... You will need a couple weeks to take it easy and relax. This time is for YOU and nobody else. Just remember it does get better but you must stay positive and keep yourself as busy as possible... Light walks , hot baths , protein shakes , Gatorade , bananas , watching television etc.

Opiophobe .. You always have a wonderful encouraging comment to make and I wanted to let you know I appreciate that. You respond to everyone and thank you for your continuos support. It is tremendously helpful and inspirational.

Marvin .. How are you doing today? How many days are you at? How is your mental and psychical symptoms?

WE ARE DOING THIS GUYS! It is a struggle but we are pulling through every minute that goes by is another minute passed. Hold strong everyone!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Came SOOOOOO close to caving this morning guys...had the keys in my darn hands!! BUT ...but...I didn't! I said to myself if I go back to that clinic this week was a waste..what if I FONT lose my job?! And if I did...my family/gf would understand and they would help me thru til I found another! ! I keep hoping and praying I'll be able to go back to work 10 or 11 days in IF God wills it...If not...then I know it's all part of his plan I am at the point of no return today was kickout day for me at the clinic and it was SOOOOOO hard to let the good repoire I'd built up there (30 day takehomes) go!! But I did it!! Day 7 horrific morning but I GOT to get myself outta the dark side thank you guys so much for helping me very appreciated! ! Oh btw I'm going to the doctor to See if I can get some sort of NON opioid sedative/anxiety of some sorts..thoughts on this? Will it help me sleep even 2 or 3 hours would be a godsend
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Day 31

I am very proud of myself for making it this far. If not for the help for my friends here, I don't know if I would have made it.

Blacklok I will not sugar coat it. The second week I really don't remember, not sure where it went. I did talk with people that was around me. They explained that I was not in great shape, and I did do things,but it was a struggle. I still had pain and little sleep. However, everybody will have various levels of symptoms. I have been on large doses of that poison for 15 years. It started to mess with my heart, so that was motivation to stop. What ever you use to motivate yourself keep them in you mind. Keep your mind busy at all time's.

Ididit, opiophobe and Tiredenough. Guys I owe you folks my life, truly I could not have done this without a place that I can write down what was in my head without being judged. This forum gave me hope, strength and the will to win this battle. I am not completly over this yet but I feel that I am over the hump.
I will win. At least I have taken my first breath!!!!! I am celebrating today by going to the dentist, yea.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Went to see doctor today he gave me a sedative no such luck unfortunately BUT I did get around 45 minutes sleep was awoken from a VERY trippy dream but I woke laughing at it so my gf had a laugh too and we got up and ate some strawberries reminds me of why I'm doing this to see her smile again send some prayers my way plz yall for me to get some rest when I lie down again I've got high hopes! ! Thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Blacklok - that is great news that you didn't cave! I still don't think it is a foregone conclusion that you won't be well enough to work in another 10 days. That is a decent chunk of time. Either way though, it is great that you have getting clean as your number one priority. At the end of the day, jobs come and go. Think about how messed up it would be if you had gone back on the methadone just to work, and then the company goes bankrupt or the owner drops dead from a stroke or whatever. Even the most secure jobs can go poof overnight.

One thing I would say is that if you do have to part ways with work, do everything you can to qualify for unemployment. You pay the premiums every paycheck so why not collect? I don't know all the rules with unemployment, but I know that it doesn't work if you voluntarily quit. Anyway, something to keep in mind.

Ididit / Marvin - Thanks for the kind words. You guys did all the hard work though. I am proud of both of you for sticking with it, and getting through the tough times.

I thought I would share something that happened yesterday with you guys, because it may inspire you when times are tough. Yesterday morning I went outside and had a feeling of complete normalcy that lasted a few hours. It might not sound like much, but I realized right away that all the awfulness had 100% gone away in that moment. I didn't feel bored, sick, depressed, anxious, nauseous, fatigued, ******, or anything else that comes with the package. It was just normal, and everything I went through over the past 50 days was worth it for those few hours. I am looking forward to waking up everyday like that soon enough. Keep on keeping on...
Old 04-03-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Day 32

Homophobe congratulations on having a time of normalcy. I can't wait to experience that. As I think back on my own experience, it has been 15 years if you take in account the time I was using. It makes me even more excited. I got to tell you guys I found another stash of methadone in my safe. It must have 150 pills in it and I just put them back in the safe and locked them back up. I was happy I didn't feel the need to take any, but why the hell I didn't I didn't dispose of them is beyond my understanding.

One question to all. I seem to be waking in places that I did not expect, it's like I am (Randy) all the time. Don't get me wrong that is not a bad thing in my book, but I was at the dentist yesterday for God's sake, his assistant was is very pretty. That was so inappropriate. I think that was very odd. I should have more control over that.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

That happens to most of us, Marvin Things "wake up" at the slightest provocation for awhile. Haha, the wind outdoors even got me for the first couple of weeks!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Marvin - I am not homophobic...lol. I only hate opis.

As far as waking up in places you don't expect, I have that too. I think it is because of my long-term use destroying my testosterone levels. In the end taking care of my husbandly duties was a chore. Now that I am off I think I have as much testosterone as I did when I was 18. I haven't gotten in checked out by a doctor or anything, but I suspect that is why I feel much more aggressive / angry at certain points (along with the waking up part of it). As far as the hot assistant goes, that doesn't sound that abnormal to me. Having no reaction would be odd in my book.

As far as the methadone in the safe why hold on to it? It was a very liberating feeling when I flushed my last stash. That was when I realized that I was "all in", and there was no turning back.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I have always assumed the "homophobe" was a spell check thing. It's made me chuckle alot, though
Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Day 32

Very sorry about that Opiophobe. I am using my tablet and I don't believe I have a complete grasp on it. It did make me laugh.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

No sweat Marvin. I was just messing with you.

I figured it was spellcheck, but I would have given you a pass even if it was just no sleep!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hello to my wonderful friends!

Hey there guys!!!!!!!
Hope all is well with everyone, glad to see everyone still posting and checking in with how your feeling and your experiences.

Opiophobe/ ( homophobe ) LOL - I am so pleased to hear about that experience you've had. That honestly sounded incredible. Sounds like outstanding progress to me! I can definitely relate to feeling great sometimes too, but for me it usually happens in the evening. This feeling of overall satisfaction really takes over me, with no care in the world. And those exactly feelings I have make me want to carry on in my recovery so I can definitely feel what you are saying. It's an amazing feeling and I certainly wouldn't trade it for the world.

Marvin - haha it's funny but embarrassing to admit this but when I got off methadone, I was the horniest person EVER... I'm 24 years old now ( my birthday was in late march) .. I'm also female. I found that there's nothing more I wanted than being intimate.. Apparently this is completely normal because our bodies are bouncing back to normal, but also making up for lost time. So I totally know what you are going through oh too well!

Well guys I'm on my 60th day today! Can't believe I've made it this far already. Yay us!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Opiophobe, ididit, marvin, tiredenough,
Thanks SO much to yall for telling me to hang In there!!! Thank you thank you thank you!! And most of all thank god AND my gf she held me down when I wanted to go to the clinic (ofc) I told her to beforehand but still! ! OK ok I know you guys are curious to know why I'm so happy and was so miserable day 7...well if ya looked I had 1 positive morning on day 8 but still I was at 6 days no sleep literally besides a trippy 45 minute nightmare. Here's what I did called the doctor back told him the sedative did nothing he called me In ativan BOOM slept 15 hours with only 1 or 2 interruptions. I've never liked benzos so yall can spare me the addiction stories from them I only want to use them if I'm 2+days awake the diarrhea and vomiting have set in a lil finally on day 9 but been taking immodiumn to combat that helps a lil...so to all reading this how I hope it gives you inspiration cuz 2 days ago I KNEW I wasn't gonna make it BUT I pulled myself OUTTA that depression which is VITAL to succeed in quitting opioid everyone was right on here ya got your good days and you got quite a few bad ones hell I'm sure I still have bad ones ahead I'm only day 9 but hey!!! 12 more and I'm 3 weeks clean I hear it's cakewalk after that!! Later fellows, gals.... death to opis!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Day 34

Ididit way to go on 60 days. I am envious of you. I look forward to being able to say that. It is also good that I am not turning into a perverse person, thanks for explaining that.

Blacklok, way to go buddy. Can't be more proud of you. Keep tryin to keep mind busy. I've been reading a lot, like I am on my 11th book since I stopped taking that ****, and I have been listening too and playing music. Any thing that will keep the dark thoughts from finding you. Keep up the great work.

Opiophobe, I been thinking about the stash I found in my safe and why I didn't destroy them when I found them, been thinking alot about that. It makes me feel I have dominion over the poison. It's like my will is stronger than the habit. I will destroy the stash on day 60. That will be a day I celebrate. I know I will never use methadone again.

Best wishes to all, you folks are the best.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Day 34

Ididit way to go on 60 days. I am envious of you. I look forward to being able to say that. It is also good that I am not turning into a perverse person, thanks for explaining that.

Blacklok, way to go buddy. Can't be more proud of you. Keep tryin to keep mind busy. I've been reading a lot, like I am on my 11th book since I stopped taking that ****, and I have been listening too and playing music. Any thing that will keep the dark thoughts from finding you. Keep up the great work.

Opiophobe, I been thinking about the stash I found in my safe and why I didn't destroy them when I found them, been thinking alot about that. It makes me feel I have dominion over the poison. It's like my will is stronger than the habit. I will destroy the stash on day 60. That will be a day I celebrate. I know I will never use methadone again.

Best wishes to all, you folks are the best.