Vital Absorbing Creative Intrest

Old 06-05-2023, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vital Absorbing Creative Intrest

One of the SMART aims is to get to "living a balanced life" without our DOC. One of the key concepts is VACI - Vital Absorbing Creative Intrest. The more we can focus on and spend time with those the more balanced our life will be, with fewer urges and cravings.

Some of mine are growing orchids, working with exotic wood (small flat work and turning), my nearly 3 year old Biewer Terrier (Ruthless Heart Throb), snorkeling/SCUBA, and recently tooling around on country roads on my new Honda Super Cub.

What are some of yours? And what new ones would you like to try?
Old 06-11-2023, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I spend a lot of time on SR and another forum for vulnerable people I help run.
I also enjoy playing music.

I lost my musical career through drink once, so being able to play with people again, and people who want me to play with them, is a gift I don't want to squander

Your terrier is super cute

D
Old 06-14-2023, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

While I was drinking I tried to play guitar (NOTE: play not learn to play - LOL). Before I started drinking I could play drums pretty well (snare in marching band, tympani and full set in bands). I decided recently to get some sticks and a practice pad. I'm really enjoying it even though I'm nowhere near as good as I was - yet.
Old 06-14-2023, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am a would be drummer - but I *totally* lack the co-ordination needed for a kit.
I still tap on things all day tho - drives people mad apparently...

Keep it up Charon
D
Old 06-15-2023, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You should try a conga. Lots of different sounds can be made and you don't need sticks. Fingers, palms, and hands can often out do sticks rythmically. There's also something called a Cajun drum. Lot's of cheep ones out there but this company caught my attention. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and spending some cash.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Dee74; 06-15-2023 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Replaced commercial link
Old 06-15-2023, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

We’re not allowed to post commercial links here, so I hope it’s ok to swap it out for the youtube.

I’ve jammed and played gigs with cajon players - it’s a lot of fun, but I suck less at bass playing.

D
Old 06-16-2023, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
We’re not allowed to post commercial links here, so I hope it’s ok to swap it out for the youtube.

I’ve jammed and played gigs with cajon players - it’s a lot of fun, but I suck less at bass playing.

D
Sorry - I didn't think. Won't happen again. Thanks for swapping it out. I do think the ?thing? is interesting. It should be pretty easy to learn and you should be able to play as soft as needed (at home to random music). A bit pricy. Since I do woodworking I might give building one a try.

Ny scooter is becomming more than just a fun ride. Twice so far I had appointments (dental, orthopedic) and didn't have my car. Once it was dead and once my wife needed it. The scooter allowed me to get to the appointments - and in a fun way. Glad it wasn't raining though.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

VACI
[quote] What are some of yours? And what new ones would you like to try?/quote]

I have a tabletop HO slot car and train track layout I love to tinker with. I have 2 scale models going. 1 a 1/87 scale barn and train loading dock for cows. 2 a 1/25 scale 1932 Ford hotrod.

I recently purchased a monkey drum. Boy is that thing annoying and I love it🤣

I would like to be in a drum circle with native americans. There will be a pow-wow soon not very far from me. I have been to them before. The 'all dance' in the sacred circle is just a blast to do. The crafts sold at a pow-wow are very trippy with animal bones, parts, and whatnot. I would love to purchase a hand drum there.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Zencat;7944159]VACI
What are some of yours? And what new ones would you like to try?/quote]

I have a tabletop HO slot car and train track layout I love to tinker with. I have 2 scale models going. 1 a 1/87 scale barn and train loading dock for cows. 2 a 1/25 scale 1932 Ford hotrod.

I recently purchased a monkey drum. Boy is that thing annoying and I love it🤣

I would like to be in a drum circle with native americans. There will be a pow-wow soon not very far from me. I have been to them before. The 'all dance' in the sacred circle is just a blast to do. The crafts sold at a pow-wow are very trippy with animal bones, parts, and whatnot. I would love to purchase a hand drum there.
Sounds so interesting. There isn't much indigenous native activity near me. I;ve been intrested Maori symbolism for quite a while and have some native made pendants which helped me through my recovery some. I don't think I would have either the patience or steady hands for model work and I'd probably have more accidents than finishes with the slot cars. LOL
Old 06-19-2023, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For Father's Day my wife baked monkey bread with walnuts (or pecans) and we took our canoes to a small local lake and had a quiet paddle. Had pain in both shoulders paddeling. Time to start strengthening. I have an October 27th date to have my left shoulder replaced so I'm looking at a dive trip October 7-14 to Bonaire. First I need to make sure I can still dive from shore. I can probably dive from a boat even if shore diving is out. If I can't dive from shore then other locations might be better. I'll find out as soon as the water warms enough.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A few things keep me busy...
I'm playing guitar and some keys almost every day.
I'm a die hard fan of the game Borderlands 2 which I consider to be a masterpiece.
I also read a LOT, I'm a library rat!

Good luck with your shoulders Charon, my salutations to Ruthless Heart Throb
Old 06-20-2023, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
A few things keep me busy...
I'm playing guitar and some keys almost every day.
I'm a die hard fan of the game Borderlands 2 which I consider to be a masterpiece.
I also read a LOT, I'm a library rat!

Good luck with your shoulders Charon, my salutations to Ruthless Heart Throb
Some great creative interests. I used to read a lot as well. Unfortunately it was in bed while I was drinking. Since quitting I am enjoying books more and actually remembering what I read.Lately I've been zoning out watching TV. I think I'm going to turn the TV off and read unless there's something I actually want to see. ANd libraries and the people who work there are a national treasure!!!
Old 06-21-2023, 06:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Heading up to Lake George to try some diving with minimal equipment. I want to determine two things. First, can I still dive after my near death experience in Florida, or do I still have PTS.. And second, get an exact weighting to be able to dive with little or no air in my BC. I also need to get my passport renewal into the mail right away if I'm going to take a trip before shoulder surgery.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well it didn't go so well. Getting in and out of wetsuit & underlayers was exhausting. I was able to do a short dive. Fortunately I wasn't very deep. The mouthpiece came off the regulator and I inhaled water. I realized what had happened and found the reg and kept breathing from the hard oraface. When I assembled the new tank I forgot to bind the mouthpiece with a zip tie and it wasn't on tight. That's now fixed. I planned to do a regular dive when the NYSDA went to Blue Mountain Lake but that has been cancelled.

I've decided that, if I get my renewed passport in time I will go to Bonaire one more time and find out for sure what I can still do.
Old 06-24-2023, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry it didn’t go well.
Do you always dive alone, Charon?

D
Old 06-25-2023, 06:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I almost always dive alone. I worked to get the skills, equipment, and experience to qualify for a SDI Solo Diver card. Having a "buddy" that I have to continually check on and in with, but in an emergency almost certainly would be too far away or orherwise useless (or might very well make matters worse) is anoying at best and dangerous at worst. If you're interested, here's a link that is a real eye opener: https://vimeo.com/49259855
Old 06-26-2023, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Went through my "collection" of insulation. Found I'm no longer able to get into any of the shorties. LOL. Combination of flexability and girth. Ordered a 2 mm top with a full length zipper. Going to look for some 2 mm shorts. I've got 2 underlayers of polyolefin and a 3 mm wetsuit that I can still get into. Also a 2 mm vest that fits OK. I'll probably be doing much more snorkeling locally than diving. Planning for a bucket-list trip to Bonaire for September. I getting used to the idea that it might be the last dive trip I can take.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just wondered if it would make it easier with a buddy to look out for you and vice versa, but I'm not a diver - sounds like you're pretty good on your own.

D
Old 07-04-2023, 07:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One of my Vital Creative Absorbing Interests is growing orchids. This one just opened. It blooms more than once a year for me, has flowers about 3½ inches across on a 6-7 inch tall plant, and the flowers last about a month and a half.. I'm pretty sure if I took it to an AOS judging it would be awarded.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

That’s fantastic Charon

D