Notices

Sober Vapers Part 2

Old 06-19-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Dude vaping has totally saved me from smoking... I've gone from like a pack a day down to 2-3 cigs a day lol. Not only that though... if you guys don't have a lot of anxiety - try Wellbutrin. It is an anti-depressant so there are some funky side effects that people REALLY don't like... but it makes cigs TASTE horrible and SMELL horrible. So it seriously makes it a hassle to go and smoke - like you won't even wanna smoke lol.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by MxKing971 View Post
Dude vaping has totally saved me from smoking... I've gone from like a pack a day down to 2-3 cigs a day lol. Not only that though... if you guys don't have a lot of anxiety - try Wellbutrin. It is an anti-depressant so there are some funky side effects that people REALLY don't like... but it makes cigs TASTE horrible and SMELL horrible. So it seriously makes it a hassle to go and smoke - like you won't even wanna smoke lol.
pretty good. I jumped off from the point you are at just a month ago. I know a lot of people who have reduced or quit smoking thanks to vaping. After starting up smoking again 10 years ago and struggling to quit ever since it was my doctor who recommended vaping to me. So glad he did. It also now has me back into habits and hobbies I had given a lot of time up since I had to smoke outside of my home. Now I'm knitting and back into computers. In fact, have a Raspberry Pi sitting here ready to be set up. All with money that used to be literally going up in smoke
Old 06-23-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Well, today is 900 days without a cig, or 63,000 cigs not smoked. That's a lot of cigarettes, and a lot of money. And I'll pass at the Wellbutrin, thanks but no thanks.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  
quat

Those are some impressive numbers, way to go!
Hard to imagine a pile of 63k butts and think about all the carbonized crap they would represent, glad that pile didn't 'pass through' you .

Saw a cig butt recycle bin in town the other day , who gets to handle those and what do they do with them ewww
Old 07-15-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

I misplaced my ecig next to my coloring book last night. This morning I was in a horrible mood and tearing up my room to f ind it. To think I used to spend $6.50 a day to let something have this type of control over me disgusted me. So glad my doctor recommended vaping.

Speaking of my doctor, I consider him pretty conservative when it comes to the FDA, medication black boxes etc. Two weeks ago I mentioned how I haven't smoked for over a month and a half and he went off on the new "anti-vaping" regulations. He said quite a few patients have reduced or quit smoking thanks to vaping and that these new regulations will bring people back to the much more dangerous cigarettes.

Chief, so sorry I missed your impressive numbers until now. Way to go!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
quat

Bump
Lots of great info in here , Vape on
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Hi I'm coming up to 3 months without cigs, thanks to Vaping. I've just joined this site and it's great to see a Vaping section!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
quat

welcome aboard Zanna
Old 09-05-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

I am so past the smoking thing now. That horrible smell. Ick.

As a reward I'm getting new oils and going to my first dodger game. With the money saved from my addictions, including cigs, I have the money to go and even get a Dodger Dog!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I'm so proud of all you new vapers, but sad for you that this threadb has lost its steam. May be FDA hype, or everybody just got cozy with their gear and liquids and just settled in. I'm glad the old posts are always there for posterity though. I'm not sure how you all could get back to "part 1" of the sober vapers thread. Anyway, as others say, "vape on!"
Old 09-06-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
quat

I have a few conversations a week (IRL) with other vapers and those curios when they see me with my kit. And I continue to see more and more people vaping, take that Big T !
My wife even did some shopping on her own recently, she came home with a Vaporesso 75 Target and is all about the ceramic coil tank , though unfortunately some have gone 'bad', I think it may be due to their delicate nature(?) and her seeming ambivalence to the effects of gravity, she drops hers alot lol, but when new they really vape nicely
Vape On!!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Thw old thread is: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...vapers-21.html

Still vaping, coming up to 70,000 not smoked in 10 days. Haven't bought anything for quite a while now, so the cost is down to $12.00 every 100 days for the both of us when I make a new "brew". (500ml)

I did lose some steam in the advocacy department, as the misinformation is both disheartening and relentless. So I just continue on my own, and supply information to the people around me when the occasion is ripe for it.

Things will turn around, but it might take a decade. And it will come from the medical profession. We often say on here: "no medical advice, ask your doc!". Well every time I do, she says she is proud that I quit smoking through vaping, and to ... vape on.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
quat

I stopped using combustible tobacco a little over three years ago, after daily use from ages 17-45 ish and have been vaping ever since. I can certainly see and feel the difference in my 'day to day ' health. No longer hack in the mornings(or during the day) , lung capacity during exercise more than feels like it has improved and almost restored to much youthfuller times (recently tied my old record of underwater laps in the pool).
Not one for going to the doctor at least in the past but have been seeing some recently which has involved some testing, fairly routine. I received the results to a thoracic CT scan, all well and good so whew In the advisory/comment section it was noted that there were small nodules detected in the lungs/lobes but that no follow up was necessary due to size and such "if" patient was not a current or past nonsmoker, though advised for a 12 mnth follow up exam for current or past smokers. Hopefully I dodged a giant bullet or have at least stopped loading the chamber , vape on ! Smokin sux!!
Old 09-10-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

When i ordered my oils I can get a small free "gift". I picked the stickers. I got two of my favorites "Cigarettes suck! Vape on!"
Old 09-13-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
When i ordered my oils
Just a detail, but it is important: it's best not to call them oils. Not just because they are not, but because many detractors have written a lot of BS about lipoid pneumonia. One guy died of this in the UK a year or 2 back, and his wife claims he got it from ecigs.

It's a disease that indeed is caused by breathing in oil or oil fumes. As good as the lungs are in hacking things back up and out, oil is not one of those things. Nobody knows exactly what happened to him, but the ecigs can be ruled out 100%, as there is no oil in there anywhere (PG and VG are sugar alcohols, not oils). However, it's important for people who do DIY to avoid any flavorings that have an oily basis as that could potentially be harmful. (don't worry, the liquid companies are all too aware of that). That's why not all food flavorings are suitable to use in liquids.

If we vapers call it oils, it just adds to the confusion.

Speaking of DIY, I just had to make a new batch, so for fun I timed the process. It took me 23 minutes from starting to take out the materials to finishing cleaning up. Of course, it's not totally finished, as I slightly heat up/mix the bottle further for about 2 hours in an ultrasonic cleaner, but that's not exactly "work".

So that's 23 minutes to make 500 ml, and according to my calculations, the last batch lasted 113 days (that's for both me and my wife). Together, we vape about 4.5 ml a day it seems, and I vape a lot less since switching from 6mg to 9mg again (almost half). The batch cost me $12, or about 1 cent a day for the both of us.

Going out for cigs costs a lot more time than 23 minutes over 113 days...

Some geekery (my recipe) attached.

diy_ecig_batch.jpg
Old 09-29-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Some will say vaping is a bit of a cheat, but today it has been a thousand days since my last cigarette.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I had smoked heavily for most of my 36 year smoking career. From 10 grams tobacco a day to vaping 18mg 1 mL per day. You read it right, 1 mL per day. 8 months smokefree, not looking back.

I am stunned when I find so many vapers in recovery knocking back 10 mL or more per day. Glad I started vaping in isolation.

When I mentioned to my doctor some time back I was considering vaping he said 'nothing really that wrong with nicotine, it's the delivery system (tobacco) that's the problem'.

My delivery system these days is a cheap piece of rubbish but it does the job. Everytime I try learn about vaporisers so many company names and products and parts and opinions on said products and parts... they get thrown around and I throw my hands in the air...

It is terrible the nonsense going on to stifle vaping. I reviewed the 'popcorn lung' study. Did you know the control in that study was air.

That's right, vaping is more damaging to lungs than fresh air only. NEWS FLASH!

Doh!
Old 10-09-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  
quat

Last Man Standing a sitcom here in the US(ABC Friday nights) had an episode featuring the vaping 'debate', came off as being against it pretty strongly , basically stated that the science is not in , the new generation are the guinea pigs , gateway to smoking.
Interesting in that they did show a cast vaping 'live' and in another scene between older actors only showed cigarettes being held and smoking being alluded to or talked about. In that scene an analog smoker trashes her cigs and says she is heading out to the vape shop , and then a former smoker disposes her 'vape pen' and picks up the discarded pack of tobacco , hard to figure out the message there !
Old 10-17-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hi! I've been around SR for a while, didn't know this space existed.

I started vaping (and stopped smoking) a little over 3 months ago- after a 26 year long cigarette habit. I'm thrilled with the switch- and still quite a newbie to the whole thing (still just using a little starter kit- haven't ventured into building/rebuilding or anything), still having fun finding new and interesting flavors, deals, etc on liquids.

Just wanted to drop a hello!
Old 05-08-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

I hate to see this thread get lost. Still vaping here. Once I'm out of my current liquids I'm going to move down from 24 to 18mgs. I know I can do it without any problems but years ago when on the patch tapering down was hell. For days I would be crawling the walls. I know with my vaping a good part of the reason it is working is that hand to mouth motion. Still, if I'm not careful I will make my paranoia my reality.