Notices

Sober Vapers Part 2

Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

OMG, this place has a forum for EVERYTHING, even e-cigs.

I quit smoking today and did not know there were all those toys out there. I just use cheapy e-cigs with cherry flavor.

It sure is easier on the lungs.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
quat

Any reason to not make a dual vertical coil with Ti01 on the velocity style deck ? Like 13 wraps ?
Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
quat

hello silly
lol, yeah too many toys
I started with the overthecounter cigalikes , found the toys with tanks to be way more satisfying, wish you well and Vape On !
Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Still vaping here
I started smoking again for a couple of weeks this summer when my friend was in the hospital and almost died but quitting again was really easy.
I treated myself to an aspire CFVV battery for Christmas since my old and well loved Iclck is showing signs of aging and of course I still have my Istick 30W.
I don't care either for the OTC vape pens. I don't enjoy vaping tobacco. In general I have a fruit ejuice in one and a pastry in the other (I have that delicious Tiramisu ejuice from Vape Wild
Old 01-17-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Any suggestions

I may also PM Chief, but the last two eleaf istick 30W batteries we have had have overheated and started smoking-ruined! We have been wrapping coils around 0.5-1.1 ohms with 24 gauge wire and have only been running them at 18-24 W, which is still 6-12W below the max so I don't understand.
My husband has an eleaf Melo that is not rebuildable, it is a premade vertical coil that's 0.5 ohm. Curiously enough, the Melo was never on the istick when this happened, only our eleaf lemo drops that we build.
Kinda wanting to stay away from isticks from now on, though our 40W isticks haven't had this issue "yet". We like to each have two batteries, but replacing a battery every few days is getting more expensive than smoking! This has happened twice in a week! One battery we had less than 24 hours, the other was only a few months old.
With all the options out there, I wanted to know y'all's opinion about a different battery to try next. I would like to stay in the $50ish range of possible. We don't need a 100-200W battery, as we only run our coils at 35W at the most; and that's on the 40W battery. The 30W like I said, we stay at 18-24W.
Thanks for your help guys. :-) vape on!!!
Old 01-17-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
quat

There are a lot of toys to choose from
A coworker just got a Kangertech Subox kit online for , I think $55, they come with the mod and a Kangertech Subtank Mini, they run .5 ohm coils. You have to buy an external battery and perhaps a charger if don't have one already. I personally like the external battery mods pretty much for the reason you've had with Eleaf iSticks, nice mods just that once the internal batteries go , the jig is up.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Hmm.... I'll have to look into that. I thought those kind were for way advanced people because there's more math involved than in regulated mods?
Old 01-17-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
quat

They are regulated mods, so even I can use them safely
Old 01-17-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Oh OK. I guess I'm confused as to how the external batteries differ or how they work. I thought there was only the kind like the istick and then those direct current ones that started the whole sub ohm vaping trend. Please forgive me, I can be quite naive about these things. I there was a time when coil building and variable voltage/wattage were WAY over my head. If it weren't for this forum and others I lurked on, I'd still be using gas station clearomizers! ;-)
Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Well ok ! .. a vape section. I had 2 years or so using just the ecigs and gave in to the marlboros at a point when I also started back drinking. Then I kept at it after I quit the alcohol, telling myself one thing at a time.

I have my different models and juice and the last few days have been trying not to buy any real cigs. That has not worked yet, but tonight I will try again.

Really makes a big difference in being able to breath and such.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Blacky, what's I'm finding really refreshing about vaping is that unlike other addictions, if I happen to have a cigarette here and there, the cigarette its the least desirable of the two options. It's like, "blech! Where's my vape?!? This cigarette is yucky!" But I think it took awhile for my mind to stop thinking I'm "missing out" on not having an actual cigarette. Once it registered that I get the same nicotine fix, with several different tasty flavors, I really feel now that it's the cigarette smokers who are really "missing out!"
If you get some time, try to find the first "sober vaper" thread and browse thru both part 1 & 2. Part one is really cool cuz we were all new to vaping and were all enthusiastically sharing our new discoveries and such.
Keep up the good work! I never kept track of how many cigarettes I haven't smoked or how much money I have saved, but when I read the statistics that Carlotta and others have shared, it is astounding!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
quat

Vape On!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

8 weeks two pieces of nicotine gum vaping 0%. Two days no vape at all I'm a free man
Old 01-25-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Did not get or smoke any cigarettes today. I have gone just to the ecig or another tank like one. I even found a pack with two in it in my truck and just crumpled it up.
Would not have done that a day ago.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but there's been some caution in the news that some e-juices contain diacethyl, which could potentially be harmful to the lungs of a vaper.

I don't know if it's a great risk since diacethyl already exists in tobacco smoke. Nevertheless I like playing it safe and check my vendors and only buy e-juices that are diacethyl free.

There was an article that explained which flavorings of juice have the most of that stuff potentially. Something like potato, beer and really weird tastes seemed to possibly have that stuff in them.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

I'm stuck with Justfog 1453 pentyle clearomizer. I like the fact that it gives good vapor and ALWAYS WORKS.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

My Istick 30 Nauti combo is getting beat up from being dropped and abused too much at work although it still works. Not ready to put down the vape quite yet and was on borrowed time so I bought an Istick 60 watt temp control. It came with a Melo 2 tank. Haven't tried the temp control yet but with .3 ohm coils, this thing rocks. For 45 bucks it's a steal. You have to buy a 18650 battery but I like that you can change batteries.
Hopefully my last one. Don't feel too guilty as the cost was cheaper than a carton of smokes, I've saved a couple grand and my lungs are now clear.
By the way. If you have patience, the tools and time on your hands it is possible to change a battery in the smaller Isticks. It's just glued to the pcb and wires soldered at each terminal. Wouldn't recommend it though unless you have some electronic assembly skills.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

There was a kid in the news that was using a modded something and it blew out 6 of his teeth when it exploded. The lithium ion batteries will do that if there is a short I think.

I am good with the simple rechargeable automatic pen like models at this time.
They are good when working with both hands, say like up on a ladder painting a house.

I found that the e-juice flavors are a gamble. Some are good, some meh, and some horrible like cigar flavor. That one had me actually coughing like I had inhaled an actual cigar. Why I got it .. IDK.

Oh and no real cigs since I started back on the vape.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:38 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but there's been some caution in the news that some e-juices contain diacethyl, which could potentially be harmful to the lungs of a vaper.

I don't know if it's a great risk since diacethyl already exists in tobacco smoke. Nevertheless I like playing it safe and check my vendors and only buy e-juices that are diacethyl free.

There was an article that explained which flavorings of juice have the most of that stuff potentially. Something like potato, beer and really weird tastes seemed to possibly have that stuff in them.
Diacetyl has been found in 73% of juices tested back in 2014. Admittedly, the juices were chosen because their flavor profile made it likely it contained diacetyl. Nothing to do with potato or beer, but with creamy tasting desert liquids and even tobacco flavors.

Diacetyl (and the very close cousin AP) are what makes butter taste buttery/creamy. It's also used to enhance flavors in food, and it's used heavily in commercial popcorn.

To take a step back: it was known in 2009 that diacetyl could be a problem, and most flavor companies and liquid vendors acted upon it. Alas, the replacement they started using - acetyl propionyl (or simply AP) is just as damaging (and maybe more so) as diacetyl (DA for now).

The research in 2014 was done by someone who can be described as the biggest and most important supporter vapers have in the scientific field: Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos. When this guy says something negative about vaping, you better listen.

Yes, cigarette smoke contains DA/AP too (they are both diketones). Problem is it can not be avoided in smoke, but it can 100% be avoided in e-liquids. Further more, the damage it does is progressive AND irreversible: while totally benign when ingested, it is assumed to create scar tissue deep into the lungs, and after a while these scars can block off parts of the lung, leading to a condition that is very similar to COPD. So yes, while most liquids contain less DA/AP than cigs, some actually contain a larger dose. Dr. F. concluded that it is an avoidable risk.

Again, progressive and irreversible: combine that with the fact that most vapers (99%) are former smokers, it is insane to ignore it in vaping. DA/AP are wilfully added to e-liquids, it's not something that naturally occurs in them.

Most companies ignored this info, or even started to lie about it being in their juice. The first class action lawsuit against a high profile juice manufacturer was initiated about 3 months ago.

It is also expected that the FDA will ban them for usage in e-liquid. But then again, the rulings the FDA will come out with this year will crush vaping altogether, but that's a whole different story...

Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
There was a kid in the news that was using a modded something and it blew out 6 of his teeth when it exploded. The lithium ion batteries will do that if there is a short I think.

I am good with the simple rechargeable automatic pen like models at this time.
Just so you know, pen style models use li-ion cells too. 99.9% of the ecigs use them (100% if you don't count the few passtrough mods that are on the market), you will find them in your laptop battery, in your smart phones, tablets, power tools etc. A Tesla car runs on those same batteries (just lots of them)...

They are reliable as long as you don't abuse them, and in most appliances there are built in protection systems to avoid overcharging, deep discharging, shorts, overly high amperage loads, etc. Not so with "mechanical mods" (and the story most probably is about one of those) where the user needs to make sure he/she doesn't make a single mistake. Mechanical mods are just tubes (and sometimes boxes) with no electronics in them: the raw battery power is sent to the atomizer by pressing a button which physically completes the circuit. They are called "mods" because originally they were just modified flashlights.

When abused, li-ion cells or (lipo)packs don't explode: they release (hot)gasses. But when enclosed in a metal tube with no venting holes for the gasses to escape, those gasses can build up enough pressure to make that tube explode violently (think pipe bombs). Many of these mechanical mods to not have proper vent holes, and when they go wrong, they go wrong with a bang.

They should never be sold to beginners, but some shops do sell them to unsuspecting newbies who just "want to blow clouds". I used them for a while, but they were not worth the added risk, so now I only use regulated ecigs, and make sure I have genuine and safe cells/batteries.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I was a half to a pack smoker for 31+ years, I tried everything in the book to quit with very limited success, even tried support groups but the craving was always there and I eventually game in even though my two adult children pleaded with me to quite, sometimes in tears which broke my heart.

In the fall of 2014 the smell of cigarette's in my truck and on my clothes was bothering me and I was sharing this with my kids and they went to work My daughter has her Dr degree and started looking into this vaping as I knew zip about it.

A package with reading material arrived from my daughter December 20th of 2014 with an Evod Mega kit and RY4 juice 8mg, on the 30th (2014) of that year at noon I had my last cigarette, I haven't craved since, today I have 0 to 2mg.

I could probably quit all together but I kind of like the vape, it's not a craving like cigarette's but for now I will vape on

All the best to those looking for a way to quit, it worked for me.

Andrew