Notices

Sober Vapers Part 2

Old 10-11-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Tried a Isub on a ego-one 2800 last week (cheapest entry level sub ohm in the local B&M shop) last week and it was absolutely GREAT (although it was wide open and I kinda like more resistance/thicker cloud). Would buy it but those coils cannot be re-built so I would lose out on the hobby aspect (I like changing it up twice a week or so and pretty much refuse to pay for coils). Decisions... Meanwhile, this Tropical Torte from vapemoar @ .4 is pretty tasty this morning @ 13.6 watts.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Amazing article in the British Medical Journal - which, until now, only published opinions that were strongly against vaping: BMJ Blogs: The BMJ » Blog Archive » Richard Smith: How public health moralists are promoting harm from tobacco and helping the tobacco industry

So fast thinking moralisers may be preventing other benefits for those who cannot stop smoking. Even more ironically, they may be protecting the tobacco industry. Selling cigarettes is hugely profitable, much more so than selling e-cigarettes. Furthermore, nobody could start a new tobacco company, but entrepreneurs can develop e-cigarette companies—and have done so.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Geesh, I'm so hooked on this VapeMoar juice! Getting their sampler pack next (10 of their 11 flavors in 15ml bottles for $20) cuz I mix them all anyway. Their vanilla adds depth to everything! Finally got a tugboat clone and am enjoying the RDA flavor thing immensely (even in single coil mode) but yes, I'm using a bit more juice--may drop down to 2 mg soon . Vape on!
Old 11-07-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zombob View Post
Geesh, I'm so hooked on this VapeMoar juice! Getting their sampler pack next (10 of their 11 flavors in 15ml bottles for $20) cuz I mix them all anyway. Their vanilla adds depth to everything! Finally got a tugboat clone and am enjoying the RDA flavor thing immensely (even in single coil mode) but yes, I'm using a bit more juice--may drop down to 2 mg soon . Vape on!
Nice zombob. I'm not big into RDA's myself (although I should be because the flavor is great), I've got a troll a buddy put a build in for me and I do use that from time to time. Right now my favorite set up is the Hcigar vt200 and a Smok TFV4. Originally the cost saving aspect of vaping was a plus but it got lost on me. Lol I get "shiny-itis" (the urge to buy new vape stuff a lot). But still, I used to smoke, drink and do drugs, so when I consider the cost of all of that versus vaping, I believe I'm still doing better money wise, definitely better health wise! Vape Moar....I had a friend give me a BUNCH of their juices and the 2 I tried I didn't care for personally, but that's just me like I said I've still got plenty more to try. I need to find out if they use alcohol in any of them. Vape on everyone!
Old 11-08-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

You could go to their site and ask--they even have a phone# that a real person will answer during normal bus hrs mon-fri. I still use tanks when out 'n about but am really diggin their Autumn Spice mixed with a little vanilla right now on my dripper. You're right tho---Even if I went out today and bought $500 in gear, golden-oak-barrel-steeped- juice and a snakeskin sleeve I'd be waay ahead cash-wise. And it's fun!
Old 11-08-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
quat

Fun .. and tasty!
Vape On
Had an occasion recently to have a stogie, wedding w/cigar bar. I used to love l-o-v-e cigars, barely got past lighting that stink stick. And tobacco flavors are my fave vaping, go figure
Old 11-08-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Absolutely! I feel ya on that DeeDub. The big difference is I can't stomach particulate smoke anymore--especially second-hand --but gimme some mellow gold from VM, mix it w/some cafe creme and some vanilla? Mmmmmm!
Old 11-08-2015, 11:10 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Great article ChiefBromden. Let's all hope they can't touch vaping, since it saves lives.

Need to get into DYI also to make vaping even cheaper.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

I don't see it ever being totally illegal as nicotine would be the only component to outlaw and That can't happen if CigBarons want to stay in business ( and powdered nic for plants--and nic gum,patches...eh?). They can however tax the heck out of all the components and make them very hard to obtain (expensiver). This seems to be the plan but it will never be unavailable--only more underground. I do believe we are living in a time when it will never be cheaper or more accessible so I'm gonna vape-em-while-I-got'em. Hope yuns are doing the same because leaf tobacco kills folks dead!
Old 11-12-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Another study in PubMed that could really help: Biochemically verified smoking cessation and vaping beliefs among vape store customers. - PubMed - NCBI

FINDINGS: Most customers reported starting ENDS as a means of smoking cessation (86%), using newer-generation devices (89%), vaping non-tobacco/non-menthol flavors (72%) and using e-liquid with nicotine strengths of ≤20 mg/ml (72%). There was a high rate of switching (91.4%) to newer-generation ENDS among those who started with a first-generation product. Exhaled CO readings confirmed that 66% of the tested sample had quit smoking. Among those who continued to smoke, mean cigarettes per day decreased from 22.1 to 7.5 (P <0.001). People who reported vaping longer [odds ratio (OR) = 4.659, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 2.001-10.846], using newer-generation devices (OR = 2.950, 95% CI = 1.037-8.395) and using non-tobacco and non-menthol flavors (OR = 2.626, 95% CI = 1.133-6.085) were more likely to have quit smoking.

That said, vaping is still pretty much under attack (vapeshops were raided Hollywood style in Malaysia, the FDA did not significantly changed their deeming regulations proposal which will end 99% of all vape shops and manufacturers in the US, the TPD will do much of the same in the EU). We're not out of the woods yet I'm afraid.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
quat

Two great words in that article "science" and "none"( in the declaration of interest), but yeah the woods still loom large.
I will ask at vape stores I know to be politically active if they have this one on PDFs and if they have mailed congressmen it.

And btw quit passing aspersions on Baccy flavors! Ejuice gots no flavor, ya gotta put it in , just sayin
Ps comment not directed at forum or members, just at the woods at large
Old 11-13-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Yup, and it's even difficult to do, and takes a lot of different flavors to get close to a tobacco-like flavor. In fact, that's how the RY4's of this world came to be, when they figured out they needed to add flavors like butterscotch and chocolate to make the tobacco somewhat realistic and palatable.

Tobacco flavors also need a much longer "steep" time than most others.

Most ironically, unflavored e-juice (I've tried it for a while) just tastes sweet (as VG and PG are sugar alcohols*, and good quality nicotine has very little taste).

But to be clear: tobacco flavors are not at risk, in fact, that's the only thing (with or without menthol) that some would allow - wanting to ban all others. It's never the other way round. My guess however is that starters look for that original burnt tobacco taste, often aren't satisfied with what's on offer in e-cigs, and if those can switch to other flavors, they are more likely to find something that "sticks" which enables them to continue vaping.

Anyway: we see more and more science pointing in favor of e-cigs - even the CDC now has released numbers that make it clear kids aren't drawn to e-cigs and teens are switching from smoking to vaping (and never the other way around) resulting in a surprising decline in teen smoking rates. Sure, more science is needed (it always is, and if there's bad stuff in e-cigs we need to find out (like diketones as flavoring), and not stick heads in the sand), but so far it is looking very good if you believe in harm reduction.

* See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyol Note that both are used as... additives to candy and food to make them... sweeter.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update Chief. Seems I've had my head in the sand regarding pending legislation.
I've had this anyvape davide for over a year and was ready to give up on it as a flavor-provider till today. Been using 28ga for coils @ around 1 ohm for several months but could not get good flavor out of this tank (my chinese lucite knock-offs taste/wick great but are always breaking in my pocket). So I finally went with the very-tight wicking method ( like twice the cotton rolled after wetting w/juice or water--all over utube). I'm a mouth-to-lunger so this tank is plenty for me and I gotta say---after a year of fiddling its just right at 1/16th ID, 1ohm and 11 watts. Thickness And flavor at the same damm time. I use 26ga in my rda and 17.5w but keep at 1 ohm and single coil (same tight cotton) and the flavor on That is phenom. Oh, one more thing: Chinese kanthal tastes like I imagine slag tasting--takes 2 days to brush the taste/toxins out of mouth. Temco wins (or lightnin vapes). Gotta go re-fill--see yuns later.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
quat

Turned my once sleek coolA$$SX Mini M into a bigA$$ clunker, got a 'backup' ,IPV D2 tinyA$$

yeehee
Old 11-15-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Turned my once sleek coolA$$SX Mini M into a bigA$$ clunker, got a 'backup' ,IPV D2 tinyA$$

yeehee
What happened to your SX mini? The ipv is a good choice, I just got an ipv3li as a gift to myself for my 2nd birthday. Other than that I've been playing with temp control curves for the dna200.
This deal with vaping and the FDA here in America kind of puts a damper on things though. It's unfortunate that even with irrefutable evidence of vaping' viability to help smokers quit, it seems they would rather kill it and let big tobacco roll on. I've signed petitions sent emails made phone calls and told everyone I know how vaping has helped me. I'm at 3 mg's headed for 0 but some juices taste kind of weird to me with 0 nic. Either way I have no intention of going back to smoking. Vape on everyone!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
quat

Just splurged a little for a back up for the six mini m , great device. The ipv d2 is smaller by a fair margin , cute little guy . The same chip in both, er I think?, the sx mini has more features ,settings the best being the power setting variability, really like that 27 j s at "soft, standard, powerful or powerful+" , the ipv fits pocket better but with near same TC performance and nice batt life .
Old 11-16-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Not the exact same (YiHi SX130H) but for all intents and purposes it works almost the same. Not a fan of PFY - the first device I owned from them was the IPV2 (back in June 2014) which was very "meh" - but the D2 gets glowing reviews from almost everyone and makes an excellent backup in my opinion.

Something else: there is a big movie (docu style) coming about vaping called "A Billion Lives". Shot in 4K, big budget, and they have traveled half the world to shoot it. Non-vapers who started out just wanting to document "this new hype", but as they were filming and talking to vapers they were shocked at how it was under attack and the money that was involved in doing so. A first preview was done in Ireland this last weekend, and the movie is expected to be ready in March 2016, in theaters mid-2016. Link: A Billion Lives | The Documentary Film About Vaping
Old 11-16-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Too late for an edit so new post.

If you have the time, a very detailed blog from someone in public health who did a 180° on e-cigs: https://jimmcmanus.wordpress.com/201...-e-cigarettes/

It is my prediction that more and more people in public health will change their minds, but possibly too late, as the FDA and TPD regulations are imminent. Turning those back might take 10 years, but I'm confident that will happen too.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
quat

For some reason I assumed ipv wouldn't have a YiHi chip, surprised it had a setting for Ti coils, I think they started shipping these in June or so and I didn't think temperature control for ti coils would have been 'preloaded' on devices then. I also got my wife a 40w eleaf w/TC. Haven't tried it yet other than on wattage mode , couldn't really try it out yet as she knows enough so far to probably report that the deice doesn't work because her coils are not TC on her other device tanks and has little patience , we will get there
Thanks , as always Chief, for spreading all Knowledge , if things get bad before we get out of the woods maybe think about changing your avatar to Harry Tuttle
Old 11-24-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Harry here again.

So... e-cigs can cause AIDS. Colombian Congressman Claims E-Cigarettes Cause AIDS | E-Cigarette Reviews and Rankings

Apparently the article is not a hoax (Spanish language sound clip at the bottom of the article).

So yeah, 10 years of roaming those woods indeed.