Notices

Sober Vapers

Old 12-03-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I didnt get an invite but wanted to join in. I am thinking of vaping at the begining of the new year. In the meantime I thought I would offer some info I know about vaping.

NJ and PA have added ecigs to the same ban as cigarettes

Many of the big tobacco companies own the ecigs companies you see offered in most stores.

About a week ago there was a link to an article on *****s home page that reported on a study just done in Japan where scientists claimed certain( cant remember which ones) chemicals were found to be in higher concentrations in ecig vapor than in tobacco smoke. Who knows.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Just wondering, am I the only one who has noticed this wonderful side effect, or is it just me?
I have not lost any weight and I am eating and snacking exactly the same which in itself is great! A lot of people start snacking and gain a bunch of weigh when they quit smoking
Old 12-03-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I vape and use a Kanger Tech pro mini 2 clearomizer with any old battery. Innokin would be my second choice for a head. You want one with replace-able coils. 2 batteries (gotta keep vapin if one goes dead) @ $15 and a decent head for $20 and some juice for $10 and then if you switch completely over I can't see spending more than $20 per week on the habit unless you go for the high dollar juices. Best thing I ever did healthwise. They're treated the same as cigs here but I've never gotten a complaint for sneakin a few puffs wherever. I try to stay compliant but it's a much less invasive smell than smoke --most people don't mind.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Happy, I worried about the same thing, however, I know I read somewhere that "analog" (real cigarettes) have upwards of 1000 chemicals- may be more may be less, but either way, it's far less than the chemicals in the analogs. I just got done reading an article that said that the pg in vapes is also used in albuterol inhalers. So, if it is used in asthma medication prescribed by physicians, how bad could it be. The other main chemical is VG which is vegetable glycerin, which has to be fairly safe as some people go with vg only vapes to lessen the "chemicals."

As far as nicotine goes, like I stated earlier, as well as others here, nicotine is not the most dangerous thing about analog cigarettes. In fact a doctor once told me he wouldn't even discourage his patients from smoking if nicotine was the only chemical in cigarettes.

I'm not sure about the chemicals they use for flavoring; but as I stated at the beginning, there sure isn't 1000 or more like what's in analogs. I know for sure that there's arsenic and formaldehyde in analogs; and I know that arsenic and formaldehyde are NOT in e liquid.

I hope to some day get to the 0 nicotine vape liquid, and who knows, maybe no vape at all; but for now, I'm super relieved and grateful, that the vapes are helping me not want analogs AT all. I've smoked a few of my husbands analogs since starting to vape, and I'm like, "YUCK! Why would I want one of these over a vape?!?!" And the analog immediately made me feel achey and like I had the flu. I realized, "I used to feel this way all the time! I never realized it was the cigarettes!" I knew they made it hard to breathe, but i never realized how much they made my whole body ache and feel flu like.

Vapes have been a godsend to me, and if the chemicals are as bad as what those studies say, how come I don't "physically" feel the "badness" like I do with analogs? I like them so much I wish I could get every smoker to try them. I am however, a little baffled that my husband has tried vapes ( in fact he was the one who was so gung ho to get on vapes) he can't seem to get on board with vaping only; after a day or two, he breaks down and buys a pack of cigs. Oh well! He's also trying to get sober from alcohol, so maybe that's the problem; and I would a lot rather him give that up even if he can't quit smoking yet. Lesser of two evils-kinda like vaping is the lesser of two evils in comparison to analogs.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I know a few people who quit drinking and smoking or using and smoking at the same time but the majority wait until they have a few 24 hours under their belt until they stop smoking.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
torquemax777

That's what I thought. Drinking can make a person unpredictable and sometimes mean while doing it (and while quitting) whereas, quitting smoking only seems to alter a persons demeanor while quitting. Seems better to only fight one demon at a time, and in my AH's case, alcohol is the beast he needs to conquer first!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happybeingme View Post
a study just done in Japan where scientists claimed certain( cant remember which ones) chemicals were found to be in higher concentrations in ecig vapor than in tobacco smoke. Who knows.
newstudyshows.jpg

Couple of things... although it would be wrong to say "I know", I have been closely reading up on the science for the last 7 months. I would be the last to say that nothing can ever go wrong with ecigs, but if you look at it logically, pyrolysis (burning organic matter) produces a lot more chemicals than evaporation (well, actually it's an aerosol). If you keep that in mind, it becomes a lot easier to understand studies (and especially headlines about studies)

If you believe the reports on that study, than I would expect you to not start vaping at all, as it would not make sense.

However: couple of facts

. the study that actually caused the headlines has not been published yet
. we are talking about one chemical: formaldehyde (and not of the 30+ other carcinogens in smoke)
. while it is true it can be found in "building materials" and "embalming fluid", it can also be found in... just about everything around you, including your exhaled breath
. the high levels were found in 1 device/setup. All the other setups had levels of not-detectable, or on average 6 times lower than smoke

Now I am not saying nothing can go wrong with ecigs. The healthiest way to stop smoking is ... to stop smoking. However, headlines like these do not help anybody - but they might prevent smokers from switching.

Vaping has many enemies. You do not need a tinfoil hat to understand that. Oddly enough, the science that *really* points out certain dangers (certain flavor ingredients, high temperature vaping...) comes from scientists who are big proponents of vaping.

PS: that utterly nasty taste you get when you have a dry hit? That's what formaldehyde and acrolein tastes like. You'll know when this happens. It's the moment when stuff starts to burn again, instead of vaporizing. And that's 99% surely what happened with that undisclosed (and thus non-peer reviewed) study.

PS2: the lowdown on that particular study can be found here: E-cigarette aerosol contains 6 times LESS formaldehyde than tobacco cigarette smoke
Old 12-04-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I had only been sober like 10 days when I was going to meetings closer to the city and noticed a lot of folks at the club vaping. There's a table where members place items they no longer want for others. A goodwill table.Usually recovery related items but on this day someone had left an e-cig starter kit. I picked it up and within a week was vaping exclusively. I've since upgraded equipment some but same pen set-up. Best thing next to quitting drinking I ever did.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

The real strong advocates that get in the political game and do a lot of work pushing back at the news and new laws\rules call vaping a 'harm reduction' strategy. That's all it is. Inhaling anything but pure clean air (if you can find some) into your lungs is probably harmful to your body, even if only slightly. The real comprehensive look at what this is doing to our bodies won't come for many, many years. Seriously, I think it pretty much compares to drinking diet sodas. Nobody even REALLY knows the long-term effects of all the sugar substitutes yet either. It's a layman's common sense gamble, and I've thought it a very good bet for all of my almost 4 years now. The only real cautionary tale I tell to others taking the gamble is to keep that eliquid way out of reach of pets and children, if they orally ingest a large enough quantity it can cause them serious damage or death.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hey chief! Thank you for looking into that"report". I have used the e-cig in the past and still have some cartridges left. So, I will probably try that for now. I also have a coupon for a free Mark Ten so I may get that as well.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by happybeingme View Post
Hey chief! Thank you for looking into that"report". I have used the e-cig in the past and still have some cartridges left. So, I will probably try that for now. I also have a coupon for a free Mark Ten so I may get that as well.
See how it goes, I do have a first generation ecig that I kept in my purse in case I was stuck somewhere and could not take a smoke break but I never liked the taste and did not find it fulfilling. If it does not work, you might want to look into getting an ego.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I was curious what PG/VG ratio y'all prefer and why. I know higher VG is thicker and is responsible for the vape clouds we exhale, and that PG gives a better throat hit, but that most will want a little of both.... But just wondering about a more detailed explanation of your preferences on the ratios???5
Old 12-04-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Well my favorite juice, "Urban Cowboy" is 40 PG 60 VG. My preferred Vape store mixes all there's that way unless one requests different. I have vaped 50/50 also but the 40/60 mix is what I prefer so far. If I don't smoke today I'll have a month without a cigarette! And I'm at 8 mgs nicotine. Never could have done this if I were still drinking.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

For me I used to mix 80VG/20PG, but as I also make juice for my wife who uses a tank system (Kayfun) , I settled at 70/30 to make sure it's not too thick for wicking.

VG is a lot softer for your throat, but it does reduce throat hit and doesn't carry flavors very well, so 70/30 is a good compromise. For high wattage dripping, it's better to go higher VG though - I experimented with 90/10 which is the highest VG ratio I can obtain, as most flavorings are suspended in PG. But that really didn't work in tank systems, and it became too time consuming to make several mixes.

For me it's one of the beauties of vaping that you can search for ratios that suits the individual.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Thanks guys for the info. Mine is 70/30-70 is the pg 30 the VG, but we got one that is only VG, we didn't notice till later but it doesn't seem to create a huge noticable difference in the amount of vapor it produces; however, I do notice that the flavor is muted as they say and especially on the inhale, though the exhale seems very tasty and sweet. Though that could be the particular flavor or brand. And, like you pointed out, the device and the wattage seem to make a difference too.

As you say, there are just so many variables from personal preference, to juice companies, to the way the device works.

I'm kinda into researching things though and love reading ratings and reviews on any new thing I'm trying or about to buy, so I really do appreciate all of you guys and your input. This is an awesome forum. My husband is ac struggling alcoholic and I'm normally on those forums. It sure it's nice to come here and have something that's all for me!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I recently got the balls to drill the holes bigger in my Protank mini2 threaded connector. I should have done it long ago. Much easier pull and more vape if I wish. I used a 1/16 bit and did 2 of 3 holes--then today taped one over and it hits just right. I know about the adjustable air-flows- just wanted to experiment ( and I'm cheap). I have a clone that has always hit better than the Kanger and it only has 2 holes. They are minutely bigger as it hits easier and actually gurgles less often. I can't imagine anyone wanting more vape from a single-coil. Just another reason vaping is better--modifying/personalizing equipment is a hobby unto itself. Oh, and just wait till you wrap your first better-than-factory-hitting coil--Whooee!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I vape mostly at 50/50
I recently got the balls to drill the holes bigger in my Protank mini2 threaded connector.
You are much braver than I am. Since I read that news article about the exploding ecig in Tacoma I have been afraid to even plug my clk in my cell phone charger rather than in the USB which comes with it LOL
I must admit that I like my little ego just like it is, I just wish the battery would last longer.
OT but speaking of sensationalism and news manipulation I would recommend the movie Nightcrawler. I saw it yesterday and it was really awesome!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I'm vaping a Puff brand. Have no idea of ratio. I think it's 50/50. I mix 2:1 tobacco, fruit frenzy 10 ml bottles (3 for $10). Don't care for the full-on fruits. Lasts me 8 days-maybe less now with modified holes. I used Vapin Plus but it gummed up coils quicker and darkened by end of one cart--heard it was mostly PG. I'm gonna go whole hog next month and buy bulk and mix my own.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
torquemax777

An attaboy, did you know they are selling vapin plus at gas stations now? We're on a tight budget right now and my green leaf e-go was starting to taste like rubbing alcohol no matter what I did to clean it. So I currently have the vapin plus I got it for $19.99!

So until we get ahead and I can go pro (or maybe I won't want one) I'm quite satisfied! In fact, the way I see it, if I have to replace it once a month, it's still cheaper than a carton of cigarettes!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

So glad I checked back in on this forum! I have been vaping for over a year and would encourage anyone to try it. I smoked one or two cigarettes for about a week or two after getting my ecig. I would get so mad at myself for going all day long and then smoke right before going to bed. I finally made up my mind to try to go without the one daily cig. It was a little hard but nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

I did find that although I was still getting nicotine I still had some wicked withdrawals. I think it had to be because of all the other chemicals in cigarettes. The wheezing at night and smokers cough went away almost immediately though. I was also embarrassed because my fingers had gotten a yellow stain on them from smoking. I can happily report that was gone within the first month of quitting.

It is hard to believe just how bad cigarettes smell until you quit. I have not been able to talk my husband into quitting and when he smokes around me, it almost suffocates me!