Notices

Daily Check In; Part VI

Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

Sending out good vibes to you Teach, and all of us!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I have not had an actual cigarette in several months but even more importantly I have not been addicted to the nicotine patch for almost two months. When I came here, I was addicted to the patch and was dreading stopping. So glad I finally did. Hopefully I will never put nicotine in my body ever again, it's so addictive and so horrible what it does to my mind, body, and free will.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Requires Adult Supervision

History,
Hang in there.....

Getr345,
You are right my friend, being addicted is just that... Being addicted...
Some days I want to just stick them all over my body, from head to toe. That is the insanity of this addiction. I'm looking forward to being free of the patch as well. Nothing, will have power over me anymore!! I'm done being a slave to ungodly things.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Hey Historyteach,
Where are you in RI? I'm going to be down in Newport on Monday. Do you want to catch a meeting Monday night? (Sorry if it is presumptuous of me to assume that you are on SRF and in the program, no offense intended if not.)
Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hey Teach, hang in there, you are doing great! My prayers and good wishes are already on their way to you!

BTW....I love your motto, is it pronounced the same way as it is written?

Hi Chippa, I would have thought that by now all my bowls would be clean, but I find some to wash everyday, lol!

Day 17 here.......cold turkey for me.

Funny, on reaching the 2 week mark, I went and donated blood (nice, clean, nicotene-free blood!) and when I mentioned it on the other forum (the Q) I got asked if I didn't do it just for the cookies!

Haha! If they only knew, over here we get not only cookies but also cheese , pudding, tea and a chocolate bar. And this time I got a free pen to boot!

So I marked my two weeks by doing something nice for someone else and making myself feel good as well!

Have a good weekend everyone...........
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hey, Tony,
I'm in Warren. I've been to a number of open meetings. But, it's my son who's an addict, (heroin); I'm a codie and a nicotine addict. That's how I came to SR. And there's no offense taken at all. If I was in Newport, I'd be happy to go with you. And for the record, I'm in Newport on the weekends often at my sister's house. I'm helping clean up my mom's house since she passed away. So, if you're there on the weekend sometime, give me a hollar!

Tuff,
Good for you, giving to someone else the gift of life!
the pronunciation of Nais gadol haya po would be like this -- nyees gadol hiya poe.

And the miracle is still happening. I've made it one more day. And witout the Chantix! LOL! YEA!!! It is now Four days, 6 hours, 34 minutes and 46 seconds nicotine free. That's 85 cigarettes not smoked, saving $25.64. Life saved: 7 hours, 5 minutes.

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Newport is absolutely beautiful

I like to go in the fall and spring and bring my kids and have a picnic on the beach- the summer is great too, but in the slightly off-season when it's less crowded it can't be beat
Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
Getr345,
You are right my friend, being addicted is just that... Being addicted...
Some days I want to just stick them all over my body, from head to toe. That is the insanity of this addiction. I'm looking forward to being free of the patch as well. Nothing, will have power over me anymore!! I'm done being a slave to ungodly things.
I thought I was the only one who ever got hooked on the patch.

I mean, I wore it for weeks (months) at a time.

Did you ever see that movie "Thank Your For Smoking" where they covered the tobacco lobbyist Nick Nailer with patches and put him on the Lincoln Memorial? lol...
Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

That's funny!! I can just picture that. My wife makes fun of me and says I should put a nicotine patch on my forehead, that way people will know to stay away from my "grouchy self!"
She thinks it is funny when I talk about being on Zyban is not for me but for the safety of those around me. But it is true...
It has taken me many years and many many failures to come to this point in my life where I am willing to surrender this addiction to my higher power and try to do something about it. "In to action" is the key... Not thinking about it, wishing for it... But doing something about it. I will also come to that point where it is time to be free from these patches as well. I'm following the program my doctor helped me come up with to the letter. First time for everything... I always thought I could find an easier softer way, if you know what I mean.
But here I am 15 days behind me and working on day 16. There was a point in time when I could not even fathom being able to say that. But for the grace of God, here I am.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

156 days of washing my bowls. Just when I thought they were all clean I found a huge stack of them laying around - blue ones and green ones, round ones and square ones...there are bowls EVERYWHERE in my life. :ghug
Old 01-17-2009, 01:12 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  
To Life!

One more day nicotine free!!! That makes it Five days, 6 hours, 5 minutes and 16 seconds. 105 cigarettes not smoked, saving $31.52. Life saved: 8 hours, 45 minutes.

I picked up my sister and her husband at the airport yesterday. She smokes like a chimney. She asked if it was ok, and I said yes. I have to deal with it. And you know what? It didn't bother me!!! That's the best part of this quit! It's just an acceptance that I do not want to smoke.

Now, I have to admit, I'm not dealing with any major stressors right now. And stress has always been my downfall. But, I know today, unequivicably, that I cannot ever have one puff -- Not Ever! One is too many, and one billion is not enough....

Nais gadol haya po!

Shalom!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
To Life!

Today is Six days, 8 hours, 48 minutes and 38 seconds without a sickarette. That's 127 cigarettes not smoked, saving $38.20. Life saved: 10 hours, 35 minutes.
I'm feeling pretty good. Had some cravings yesterday while cleaning out my mom's house. The emotional reactions of coming across things, and making final dispositions. But, it's ok. I weathered the storm, and all is well. I am a non-smoker once more.

Nais gadol haya po!

Shalom!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Day 87 for me.

I went somewhere with my sister, who also is a living chimney, and she smoked in my car. It took a WEEK to get rid of the odor.

Since then, I told her my car is non smoking.

You're a brave gal Teach.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Steam, that reminds me of a story I heard from my next door neighbor in Canada.

He was talking about a guy he knew who lived all alone on the mainland.
His name was Little Pete.

Once, Little Pete had a woman come over Russia, supposedly to marry him, but that didn't work out...he also built a house in the shape of a boat on the shore, to be a hotel, but that didn't work out either....
anyway, back to the story.

One day, my next door neighbor was in town and decided to visit Little Pete, (who actually was a big Giant of a guy) and looked all over at Little Pete's house and couldn't find him.
All of the sudden out of the corner of his eye he sees these dirt balls flying through the air. So, Joe, my neighbor walks over and sees a big old deep hole, and Little Pete at the bottom of it.

Joe says well hey Pete, what ya doing down there? And Pete says I'm digging a well.

Because Little Pete was all alone he stuck his ladder down there, and went down, and instead of bringing up buckets of dirt, he would make little mud balls, and throw them up out of the hole....

I don't know if Pete ever finished that well, but I always chuckled when I heard the story.

Hugs.....
Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  
To Life!

I've made it one week!!!
In fact, it's been One week, 4 hours, 34 minutes and 8 seconds. That's 143 cigarettes not smoked, saving $43.14. Life saved: 11 hours, 55 minutes. LOL!
Doing well, too. Still some coughing upon exertion, like shoveling this %^%(*&*)(*&^%$#$%^ snow that keeps falling. And some cravings due to emotional stuff. Not too bad though. I got past it all.
And I feel good!
*****!
Nais gadol haya po!

Shalom!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  
..discover it.

Ahhh! I said it was my 100th day in another post, but when I actually added it up, it is officially my 65th day so far. One more month and I will be at my 100 days. I definitely plan on it!!! I recommend printing out "Junkie Thinkin'" and skimming through every so often!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Yes!

Day 20 here today, doing fine. Well, maybe the pants are getting a little tighter?
I will worry about that later.

Congratulations Teach on your one week anny!

Still washing my bowls......................
Old 01-20-2009, 12:07 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Steam,
You keep pluggin' away at it. I really struggled in the beginning of my sobriety, I really had to dive into the "program" aspect of recovery before I could find any REAL relief from my dilemma. It's encouraging to me to see new comers stick to it and get it right. There is way too much "in and out" these days. I played that game for a while, and there is no way to win at it. I'm not a normal drinker, and the sooner I could accept that, the sooner I could begin to get well.
Anyway, I'm glad things are going well for you, keep coming back... Remember, meeting makers make it... (my AA plug )
Chief
Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

As for me... Day 20, smoke free!! I guess I should say tobacco free, cuz I'm hooked on it all. Chewing, cigars, cigarettes, pipes. It's a good thing they didn't make tobacco suppositories, OR I WOULD BE HOOKED ON THEM TOO!!! That's just how I roll... Hare core till the end...
Old 01-20-2009, 03:18 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  
To Life!

Today I'm One week, one day, 8 hours, 8 minutes and 33 seconds nicotine free. That's 166 cigarettes not smoked, saving $50.03. Life saved: 13 hours, 50 minutes.

I've got a big day today; me and another history teacher. The two of us are splitting the school; He's got the upper classmen; I"ve got the lower classmen. Big presentation at school for the inauguration. The press will be there. I've got to wear a dress; heels.

Of course, we've had no school since last Wednesday! They called school off Thursday and Friday. Said it was -- TOO COLD! :>(
So, we've had no time to plan; and all my stuff was in school. I had no way to get it. The principal called yesterday while I was out. Left a message changing the outline plan that the VP gave us for the program, but, didn't tell us how long we'd have to talk; to work with the kids.... :wtf2

So, I've got this big interactive presentation planned. And I've got a pledge for them to sign on to get involved; to commit to action to do their part to fix America, (it's expected Obama will ask Americans to ask everyone to volunteer to do something similar to JFK's "Ask not what your country can do for you; Ask what you can do for your country" speech). And finally, I have a timeline to witness the change over time in Black American history. But, I have no idea if any of it will fit according to this new schedule! grrrrrr......

But, I will not smoke.
Nais gadol haya po!
Wish me luck, ok? :>)

Shalom!