Notices

Daily Check In; Part VI

Old 03-07-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do it tuffenuff!...that one puff won't even feel good...It'll make you dizzy, taste gross in your mouth and the nicodemon will tell you take more...who needs it right?!

When I think about just a puff, I take a few really deep, cleansing breaths. It reminds me that already my breathing capacity is markedly improved. I do my affirmation...I'm a clean, healthy, nonsmoker just oooozing healthy feelings and happiness...Even when I don't feel that, saying it often enough reminds me it is true. If the feeling lingers, it's time for me to get physical...even if it is a really quick walk around the block at work. I always found 5 minutes to grab a smoke before, so I can find the same time to get moving. For me the fast pace physical movement helps to raise my spirits...kick starts the dopamine levels or endorphins or something. A big part of my quit is finding healthy alternatives to the reasons I smoked...healthy but resulting in feeling good - I know I won't stick to something that is healthy but I hate doing. (I'll never substitute stomach crunches for cigarettes, lol)

So glad you are giving it all you've got to get past this bump. :ghug3

Today I am 18 days, 21 hours, 47 minutes and 6 seconds smoke free. 340 cigarettes not smoked 2 days, 14 hours of my life saved and I'll throw in 30 cents to make it $120 even that I have saved in my jar and not spent on cigarettes. I'm finding I am much more mindful of fighting off thoughts of wanting sweets than I am of cigs...the old brain just wants that endorphin fix!! The best thing I can see right now in the way of physical change is that I can run twice as long as I did before without feeling super winded and that first mile isn't the huge fight between my body protesting and my desire to move.

Last edited by greeteachday; 03-07-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Steam....great news on you!!!

Guess Alice and Chippa are history????

Well I am well into my fourth month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:13 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Checking in again.......

Glad I stopped by today, as the thought to smoke (sheesh, I even thought abouyt buying a pack, smoking ONE ( lol right?) and throwing the rest of the pack away! Where else would I get just one cigarette? I am a non-smoker now!) was again plaguing me.

Thanks history teach...I will work on trying to come up with a mantra abnd at least while my thoughts are occupied by that, I won't be able to think of cheating! When I decide on one, I will be sure to post it!

And greet teach, also very good advice on the getting active.....I sure could use more of that in my life! I have really been very lazy lately......

Palm....congrats on keeping the quit!

This site is really helping me to stay quit and stay focused on my quit and i just want to thank everyone who contributes here! You guys/gals ROCK!

Day 69.......and I smell great! I really like NOT reeking of stinky smoke! And it is easy to be reminded how nasty it was, just go stand next to someone who has recently smoked....YUCKO!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  
To Life!

Tuff,
Take a look at the post on the 5 stages of grief during quiting. I posted it yesterday. I thought it was spot on.

standing next to a smoker is definately a turn off!
I hate to think I smelled that way!

Today, I am One month, three weeks, four days, 7 hours, 24 minutes and 13 seconds nicotine free. That's 1126 cigarettes not smoked, saving $337.85. Life saved: 3 days, 21 hours, 50 minutes. Nais gadol haya po!

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Hi Steam, I am still here!!!! STill going strong.....I wonder too about Alice and Chippa. Guess they will return when they are ready.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

hi guys... here I am, checking in. I've been doing so lousy, I guess I feel sort of guilty writing when I see how well everyone else is doing... working up to picking a new quit date. Seeing you guys do so good is building up my excitement and getting my ready for that new date. I did it once and I know I can do it again... I'm super proud of you guys! and thanks for still caring, you guys are the best!!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I thought it would be good to post here I am now on day 4. Told my sponsor and my sister yesterday that I had stopped smoking. I think they were as surprised as I was about it. I had no plan but had been thinking about it for awhile and on Sunday I just didn't have one and have continued doing that and plan on continuing.

Two things happened today.

1. I put petrol in my car and when I paid for it my head told me to buy a pack of cigs which I didn't do, I just let the thought pass through my head.

2. I went for a walk and I got a big surprise when I could walk up hills without nearly dying from lack of breath! Usually I am panting and puffing when I get to the top. Can't believe something like that would come right so quickly.

So I've had a better day today than yesterday too. Thank god!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Welcome Liz! It is always great to see newcomers join the ranks!

Hi Alice, get that date set and get back in here with us! If we can do it, so can you!

Day 71......................and counting!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hey, Liz,
Congratulations, and welcome to the pack! LOL!
I've read some evidence that the spontaneous quitter can be more successful than the quitter that plans for months! I know it goes against the collected wisdom, but, the research is there and it's good. I guess it depends upon the individual. (doesn't it always? LOL!)

Alice,
You're always welcome here. YOu'll be back, and if reading and posting help make it a quicker journey, well, more power to you. You know what you have to do and you'll do it when you're ready. So, stop beating yourself up, ok? And know that we're here for you, too.

I'm now One month, three weeks, six days, 22 hours, 45 minutes and 10 seconds nicotine free. That's 1178 cigarettes not smoked, saving $353.69. Life saved: 4 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes. Nais gadol haya po!

Remember to keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Day 5.

Sister came to see me today and put the fear of god into me. She quit nearly 2 years ago and went mental after about 1 month, so of course I am already thinking about how I will be at 1 month! I have to remember to keep it in the day.

Also noticed my head is actually telling me what brand of cig to buy and smoke, which is interesting in itself because it isn't the brand I use to smoke. Taylor made insanity eh?

Thanks

:ghug
Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!! I'm checking in: it's been a while since I've been here...so nice seeing all of your names and reading your posts (feels like home!). SO HAPPY to see so many of you doing well, and others working hard to find their path and new names too...one big smoke-free family. Too mushy?? yeah, well...I'm at 7 months today - - so I give myself permission.

I'm amazed everyday how my life has changed over the last 7 months - there is no way you could have convinced me a year ago that this would be my life in less than 12 months....I feel like I'm awake after a very long sleep and finally living MY life.

This place was such a help to me - I really owe a lot of my success to all of you..THANK YOU!!!! Everyone struggling - you CAN do this!!!
:ghug
Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hey, I almost missed my two month anniversary!!!

I was at the dentist today, and the assistant asked how long it had been.
I said "Almost two months."

Well, today, I am Two months, 21 hours, 32 minutes and 42 seconds nicotine free!!!. That's 1197 cigarettes not smoked, saving $359.38. Life saved: 4 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes. Nais gadol haya po!

Thanks for sharing the journey with me. I cannot believe that this time is sooooo much different than the last time I quit when i was spitting nails and ready to kill! I went crazy for about two months and this time, I'm doing great, except for eating too much and not excercising enough. that's bad....

Remember to keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Smile re tantrums & nic-fits

It's so to come back and see sooo many newcomers who are "butting out" (). For those who don't know me, I am a former member of the Try To Stop smoking cessation who came along (thanks to) with historyteach after their message boards closed. I am 2 years nicotine-free, happy to say, thanks to all the grreat support I received from historyteach and other quitters like you. Having :ghug "a party" of quitters is so helpful, especially when combined with other smoking cessation tools like the QUIT WIZARD at makesmokinghistory.org (formerly Try To Stop) or....maybe?it is still trytostop....can it be so long that I cannot remember? Anyway, so much for my introduction. I come up with some doozies sometimes. But, just holler if I can be of any support; okay? Now.......

Did I hear "tantrum?" I think I did! I definitely used to have those; don't we all. Some quitters call these bouts, "quit fits" or "nic-fits." I say, count to ten and if it doesn't fade away then just "go with the flow-- don't candy coat the mood." What I used to do is use a punching ball (you know, the kind you blow up for kids to bounce around with). Try something like that or if you're so inclined, exercise such as jumping rope or running in place for a few moments. If that doesn't relieve the pressure, "take a time out." If you have to, bury your face in a big fluffy pillow and yell &/or sob and carry on like the dickens. (hmm, where did that originate, I wonder?) It helps to relieve yourself. Don't bottle up things inside.

Congratulations! Again, good hearing from everybody. Keep up the good quits, you hear? Take care......1 Day At A Time & You Can Do This!

cess101
Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

SOS to Chippa! Where has your verbose gone lately?
You're selection of terms, "verbose," was a real hoot to me (laugh-laugh-laugh)
'Member....."Post Before You Puff." Quitting is a process so don't let a little setback like this hinder progress. You just let your mind wander.....
Get those fireworks going again in your mind and forge right ahead.....

Cess101
Old 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Day 8 here.

The latest is I seem to be getting breathing problems. I had asthma as a kid and I think it has come back. For the first few hours I am up in the mornings I am finding it hard to breath. I was at a friends the other day and even she commented on it as she could hear me wheezing. Am going to the docs Weds so will ask about it.

Also noticing HALTS (which are used in addiction to other substances) applies to smoking too. If I get too Hungry, Angry, Lonley or Tired, I want to smoke more. Had a great example of this yesterday afternoon and did not throughly think through what I was going to do with my time! It's all learning.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  
To Life!

Cess!!!
OMG!!! How are ya my friend!!!
I haven't seen you in a dog's age!

Today, I am Two months, two days, 22 hours, 22 minutes and 26 seconds. 1238 cigarettes not smoked, saving $371.59. Life saved: 4 days, 7 hours, 10 minutes.
Nais gadol haya po!

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!