Notices

Daily Check In; Part VI

Old 11-23-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thumbs up Daily Check In; Part VI

Time for another daily check in thread!
You all are doing GREAT, and what a terrific support group for smoke cessation!

Here's the link to the previous thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ck-part-v.html

And remember, keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey teach-

hope all is well, we've missed you!

I have had a crazy weekend so far....

Now it's go pats go pat go pats

just checking in at halftime!!!!

KUTGQ everyone- short week coming up this week, we can do it!!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Karen Sweatt - Free and Healing for Twenty Nine Days and 37 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 435 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $108.98.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

coming right up on a month jinx!!!! wtg!!

Hope everyone had a good weekend- Mine was really fun- I'm going to make an effort not to talk too much about food BECAUSE this week contains the day where we always let it fly with complete disregard for any sort of dietary scruples- so I am going to try and make up for it with my behavior the other four days-

My fridge is full of smart choices (I came in to work today with a whooooole pile of halloween candy, took one small packet of pretzels out of it and the rest goes intp the community bowl- YOU GUYS DEAL WITH THIS NOW!!) we planned out our menu for the week- everything is reasonable- so now on Thursday I can make a complete glutton of myself guilt free- I always say on the morning of Thanksgiving to my kids "wait until you see how much turkey I can eat, you'll never believe it!"

Love Thanksgiving- we get up and watch the parade, make cinnamon buns, have coffee and mimosas-

Right now my wife and youngest are under the weather tho (stayed home) and if they don't get better, we'll probably have to bow out of the big celebration which would be really a bummer- I have a pretty elderly Gramma (she's awesome) but she's been in a hospital for a few days and two brand new nieces, so we can't be in there with all sorts of disease and such- keep your fingers crossed

I guess I ended up talking about food for the entire check in post- sorry, I'm trying to not be a tool about it, but I'm talking about reasonable food (except the cinnamon buns)

Short week thank goodness
Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh come on Chippa....you know you have to talk about food. That is okay though....I am looking forward to Thursday myself. My mom wants a "southern" style Thanksgiving dinner so my job is to make mac/cheese. I am searching the net for a good cheesy recipe.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has a Wii game? My husband bought one and were not supposed to open it until Christmas but we could not stand it. My oldest was home from school and it was too cold to be outside so we opened it up. I think I found my new addiction. Plus, you would not believe how much moving around you have to do!!! It could be good for losing weight!!! We have played non stop all weekend. Bowling seems to be our favorite. I want to get the Wii fit to see what that is all about...it's got exercising on it!!!
I mean usually I tend to check in here to post but the Wii game kept me from doing much else!! I barely had time to cook!!!! My neighbors came by Sat. to play and returned last night!!! Too funny!

Oh.....let me not forget....3 weeks 2 days 11 hours and 43 minutes smoke free!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Chippa, I know we aren't supposed to be talking about food but I am craving soup. I am looking at Oyster Bisque and it says to simmer the oysters......does not say with or without water. Don't laugh...I don't like to cook so some of these terms get me confused. Then it says to discard any oyster dregs.....what the heck is a dreg???
Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow-

I have no idea-

I loooooove oysters, but I've had them fried at the Naked Fish and raw, never an oyster bisque- I know you have to have liquid to simmer- I would imagine the poysters themselves don't create enough liquid to simmer, but I wouldn't think in water either with oysters- I would assume that you get everything into the soup and THEN simmer it- (like a witches cauldron- little tiny bubbles) that way you know everything is cooked to the same temperature, without boiling it-

Just a guess, I am no authority but there are few things in life better than shellfish

man that sounds good- There was a bar when I lived in New Orleans that had free oysters every Wednesday night- man, I took that place for a ride- love oysters in the summer with horseradish and tabasco (this is one instance where I always use tabasco, not Frranks or any other kind- maybe because of when I lived in NO)

I have to have a lunch meeting today, so the gym is out (I kind of banged up my feet over the weekend) I'm off to a bad start already!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would assume dregs is just whatever debris (shell pieces, sand, dirt, etc) is left over when they've been shelled
Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I guess I will just look up on the net to see if I can find another recipe that explains better...I was thinking you needed water to simmer too but then on one website it says not to boil them for soup......

Now I am craving it and am determined to figure it out....I love oysters too!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WAY TO GO STEAM!!!! WE ARE HERE FOR YOU AND GLAD YOU ARE BACK!!! YOU CAN DO IT......YOU REALLY CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Karen Sweatt - Free and Healing for Thirty Days and 43 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 450 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $112.75.
[CENTER][IMG]
Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

30 DAYS!!!!!

That's a milestone there jinx

Steam, wtg and good to have you back- Let us know what's working for you!

My wife is picking up a prescription for chantix on Thursday
Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Steam, that sounds like a great plan. I didn't smoke around my family either...half of them didn't know I did. Didn't what to get chastised for it. Just keep telling yourself it is no longer an option and stick to it. I actually put a note in my pocket everyday that said smoking is no longer an option...don't do it. I know that sounds weird but that little piece of paper kept me from caving in.

Chippa, that sounds great that your wife is going to try Chantix....awesome!!!

Alice??? where is Alice.....
Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great attitude Steam! Glad you will be with us......just keep posting...it really helps a lot!!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Being around family really helps, because they're doing stuff and not smoking- you just do what they're doing-

I remember when Christmas would be the only day of the year when I wouldn't smoke!

Steam you can do it man!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah....I would always want to leave early to go home and smoke. What a great feeling not to have that pressure and need to rush through your day surrounded by when your next smoke will be. I hated the fact that smoking ruled my life and kept me from so many great things in life.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I rode with a guy today to lunch that smoked- and he had my old brand and matches all over the place in his car when I got in- I couldn't believe what his car smelled like- my wife doesn't smoke in her car (that much) because we tale the kids in it a lot so I forgot what that smells like-

wow, it was pretty intrusive

I pretended I didn't notice-

They opened this barbecue place near my work about a year ago and their pulled pork is insane it's so good- they had a special- pulled pork sandwich and 2 ribs and 2 sides for like 8 bucks (I stuck the guy with the bill) I had dirty rice and this coleslaw that was really crunchy and didn't have any mayo in it

holy crap it was good

I'll run faster tomorrow, it was worth it
Old 11-24-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

that's the thinking my man-

anything goes but smoking
Old 11-24-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Steam, we will be here to help you every step of the way. Being a non smoker sometimes would seem unimaginable to me. I NEVER thought this day would come. I have never been more proud of myself. I didn't realize how much life changed in a good way for me when I stopped. What I am amazed with is as soon as you change your routine and do things differently, you don't seem to crave them like you did. It's only been 3 weeks for me and it's amazing how I don't think about smoking hardly at all anymore. It's not a part of my life anymore...no matter what happens. I know what you mean when your car messed up and that is the exact time you want to smoke. I know that feeling. My dog had to be rushed to the animal hospital and when I finally found out he was going to be okay...I wanted to relax and have a smoke but that notion only stayed with me for a minute. It's not worth it...it's no longer an option.

You are doing a good thing and you sound like you want this bad like we all did at one point and that is what has to happen.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

Hi everyone! Sorry, I was so busy at work today I didn't really have time to check in! Still doing good - day 29 today!!

Steam, welcome back! You sound like you're ready and I think that's the key. If you DONT WANT to smoke, nothing can make you smoke - and if you don't want to quit, nothing can make you quit. I think you're exactly right, it's all about attitude. And as everyone has been saying - you will be AMAZED how great you feel. I can't believe how much time I used to spent thinking about smoking, buying butts, and smoking... just sitting around smoking and doing nothing else. What a waste of time! I've definitely had a few cravings here and there, but they pass quickly. And at this point, even if a cravings hits, in the next second, my brain jumps right to "But I know it wouldn't really help" It sounds good - like eating a giant bowl of something yummy all at once sounds good - but in reality, it will just make you feel much worse. There's always going to be those stressful triggers - car problems, fight with somebody, unexpected bill in the mail... unfortunately, those things are life. Can't outrun em, can't escape em... can't smoke em away. now, you will just have more energy, stamina, - and self-esteem - to deal with them...

Palm did you make your soup? I baked these fat free brownies last night - No Pudge is the brand name, you just add fat free vanilla yogurt to the mix. They are seriously SO good!!! You cannot tell they are fat free. I brought the batch into work and everyone was raving about them!!