Notices
View Poll Results: Does melatonin give a high?
Yes, definitely, and addicts should avoid it.
0%
Yes, but it's not much of one, so it's OK to take.
18.18%
No, but addicts should avoid meds for sleep.
9.09%
No, it's safe even for addicts.
72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Catch a "buzz" from melatonin?

Old 01-05-2005, 10:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by liveweyerd
I have recently learned that people with depression have smaller amalgydas (a brain part) and that if not medically treated it continues to shrink and atrophy...
Ewww! !

Dam* straight, doctors are not always right! Too many of them believe whatever the drug reps tell them. :devil2: Ask a pharmacist. teehee. I'm just a LITTLE biased what with being one and all.

Love and all that good stuff,
Eddie
Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well, I am glad to understand that, even tho' I sensed it was progressive from prior experience. I knew this last time I did not have another recovery in me and accepted that I was going to be taking anti-depressants for the rest of my life.
Being well for the first time, I say hurray for modern medicine!
here is a site I think you might like, has a lot of cutting edge mind/brain research.

www.MindandLife.com that is from memory so if it doesn't work, I will look it up.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by liveweyerd
that is from memory so if it doesn't work, I will look it up.
Because you always look things up! LOL.

Yes, I am WELL for the first time, too, and it takes 9 meds to keep it that way.
So I say Hurrah for modern medicine as well.

Thanks for the link, live! I'll have to check it out another time though 'cause I have to go to school here soon. Have a great day!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

While in rehab, I asked the "spirit gut" (he is a Tibbetean Buddhist) if there were any safe sleep aids recovering addicts could take, and I specifically asked him about Melatonin. (He was very knowledgeable in a lot of areas, especially herbal remedies). He told me that Melatonin is safe for me to take, but it's not supposed to be taken for an extended period of time. He also mentioned an herb called DonQuay (sp?) that he recommended. He said to stay away from Valerian Root since that's what Valium comes from (that was mentioned on this site before). I've taken Melatonin in the past and never experienced a high or any mood altering affects from it. I did feel a little groggy sometimes. I have not taken anything for sleep since I got clean only because I'm paranoid to take anything for sleep, even if it's not mood/mind-altering - the reason I started taking hydrocodone was because I like the way it helped me sleep. Therefore, for me personally, I want to really try to avoid any sleep aid for those personal reasons.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Melatonin...

...gives me really whacky dreams. Just threw a bunch out b/c of that.

I have chronic sleeping problems. Don't want to go back to Ambien, b/c I used to like to chase it with beer . Tried Restoril recently, it knocked me out cold, but woke up way groggy....

So, now I am just praying for a good night's rest and if it's God's will, I'll get it. If not -- I'll be tired. Sure beats being drunk or hungover!

Ken
Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No expectations!

gg,
I think Valium just gets its NAME from Valerian root. I don't think it actually is the active agent in Valerian. Yet another research project, eh? And I think the spelling is Dong Quai. Thanks for sharing that about the melatonin! I'm pretty sure it's OK for addicts to take. I don't know why that doctor said we shouldn't except that it is sort of a "sleeping pill" in a sense.

Ken,
Restoril is like alcohol in a capsule! In my opinion and the opinion of many professionals on recovery, we don't have any business taking that stuff. Most doctors don't really understand addiction and will prescribe stuff to us that we really shouldn't take, so I have to be on my guard and be responsible for my recovery. Have you read "The AA Member & Medications?" Awesome pamphlet! Take care!

Love and hugs, y'all,
Eddie
Old 01-06-2005, 06:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am pretty sure you are right about the valerian root Eddie, or I know lots of people who would have kitchen labs going. It grows abundantly in the midwest, my origins.
hahahahahaha
Old 01-06-2005, 06:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
LOST!

When I took melatonin, I was in college a few years ago. And it did not make me feel very well. I woke up feeling weird and groggy. Just my 2 cents!
Old 01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thanks, YOURAIRNESS, and again liveweyerd! And yes, that IS a gorgeous portrait! Apareces como una princesa. I think I said that right.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-06-2005, 06:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Another Long Rookie Thread...

Happy new year everyone! I've been on posting hiatus but sober as a judge (four months today)...except for sleeping pills, on which I've become an expert.

I entered recovery this time because of anxiety and lack of sleep when I tried to quit on my own, and I've tried a few things. Melatonin, Tylenol P.M, and Trazadone didn't work for me, then rehab took me off the xanax my regular doctor gave me for obvious reasons. They gave me ambien instead, which is the worst drug in the world in my opinion. I would sleep for three hours and then wake up needing another one. Made things worse, and I often took two and was groggy for two days thereafter.

So we tried Seroquel, which I still take, but I don't think it's a good idea. Racing thoughts are my big problem, and this definitely helps with that. I call it "lobotomy in a bottle," because when I take a full dose I just don't think about a damn thing and grin until I drift off into a sound 10-hour slumber. Then, of course, I can't wait to take another Seroquel to erase my thoughts, which, gee, is the role that alcohol always played in my life.

So now I just take a half dose when I'm really unable to sleep. I just wish somehow I could get everything in order to where I don't have these irrational thoughts that keep my up at night. But that's another post...

For myself, it's a bad idea for me to take any drug. But if I don't sleep, I become a nervous wreck and am likely to abuse "real" drugs. I think it's a Catch 22 a lot of us face.

Here's to a good natural night's sleep for all.

Tough situation.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
No expectations!

mrhodes,
Thank you so much for that insightful post! Have you been tried on anything other than Seroquel for mood stabilization? There are lots of options with a lot less abuse potential. Talk to your doctor. Hope you get some sleep tonight!
Love and hugs,
Eddie

P.S. To all, not that I don't appreciate all these wonderful posts, but please vote in the poll at the top, too. Thanks!
—EZ
Old 01-09-2005, 08:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey, eddie, thanks for this thread. As you know, I have had really, really bad insomnia for over three weeks now. I was getting so little sleep that it was affecting me physically, menatally and emotionally. Well, my sponsor has me take a hot bath before bed, meditiate with aromatherapy candles (lavender to help sleep) and drink sleepy time tea. I also started taking one tab Melatonin a half an hour before bed.

Well, joy of joys, it works for me! The last three nights I got 6, 5 and 7 hours of sleep... all in a row! I feel so, so, so much better.

Being a pill addict, I am familiar with the effects (on me) of different sleeping pills. Melatonin is very gentle and mild. It just makes me relaxed, not quite sleepy, and able to fall into a natural sleep if I just lay in bed for awhile.

This is my experience. I just wanted to share it with you and thank you for your help.

hugs,

jojo

P.S. I talked to the pharmacist before I decided to try it. She was just a little bit taken aback when I told her that I am an opiate addict in recovery and I shared my concerns about taking pills. Surprised, maybe? But she handled it well and was able to give me some very good information. A credit to your profession as you are, too, my dear.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Phinneas
Melatonin is very gentle and mild. It just makes me relaxed, not quite sleepy, and able to fall into a natural sleep if I just lay in bed for awhile.
Thank you, jojo, for sharing that and for the compliment!

And Whoo-Hoo!
You're getting sleep!
Sleep rocks! teehee
Love and hugs, Eddie
Old 01-09-2005, 09:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
~FEELS SO ALIVE~

I took melatonin for a while last year.It worked well.I felt no buzz from it at all~
I didnt feel hungover either~
I slept a good 6 hours .I also tried the ole stinky valerian root pills..LOL
It worked real well also..
When i was going through some really deep emotional turmoil....I required something stronger..Thats when my doc prescribed trazadone at bedtime.I took 50 mgs and slept like a baby~
The one thing to anyone that doesnt know this about melatonin is it can mess with your hormones if your on Hrt or birthcontrol..So do your homework..
Old 01-10-2005, 05:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by wastedtime4me
The one thing to anyone that doesnt know this about melatonin is it can mess with your hormones if your on Hrt or birthcontrol..So do your homework..
Thanks, WT4M!! Yes, melatonin interacts with a number of things, so it is important to check it out before taking it.

Yeah, Valerian stinks, but cats love it!

When I was in treatment, it only took 25mg of trazodone to help me. And to think, it comes in 150mg tablets which is the antidepressant dosing level.

Love and hugs,
Eddie

P.S. Please vote in the poll, if you haven't!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello Eddie

This sounded like a solution for my sleeping (or not sleeping) so I did a search and found this... (enough warnings that I am thinking twice about it)

familydoctor.org

Melatonin
What is melatonin?

Melatonin is a hormone made by a part of the brain called the pineal (say: "pin-ee-all") gland. Melatonin may help our bodies know when it's time to go to sleep and when it's time to wake up. Melatonin supplements (in pill form) can also be taken. There are two types of melatonin that may be used in these pills: natural and synthetic (man-made). Natural melatonin is made from the pineal gland of animals. This form could be contaminated with a virus and is not recommended. The synthetic form of melatonin does not have this risk. If you are not sure if your melatonin is natural or synthetic, ask your doctor or pharmacist before taking it.
How is melatonin used?
Melatonin can be used to treat insomnia (difficulty falling asleep and/or staying asleep). It can also be taken to prevent jet lag. Beyond that, there is little scientific evidence that melatonin has a role in promoting health or treating disease.
Does melatonin have side effects?

Some people who have taken melatonin have reported sleepiness, headache, a "heavy-head" feeling, stomach discomfort, depression or feeling hungover. Further study is needed to find out more about melatonin's side effects, especially delayed or long-term effects. For example, we don't know if melatonin causes problems when taken with other medicines. We also don't know how melatonin may affect diseases.
Does melatonin require a doctor's prescription?

No. Melatonin is sold without a prescription in health food stores and drug stores in the United States. However, melatonin products are not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Since melatonin products are not regulated by a government agency, their purity, safety and effectiveness can't be assured.
Should I take melatonin for sleep problems or jet lag?

It might be better not to take melatonin until we know more about it. If you decide to try it, talk to your doctor first. Be sure to tell him or her if you have any medical conditions, are taking any other medicine (prescription, over-the-counter or herbal) and if you are pregnant or nursing. It is unclear what effect melatonin can have on an unborn baby or nursing infant.
Does melatonin have any effect on aging?

No. Despite claims that have been made in magazines and newspapers, no scientific studies have shown that melatonin can slow down the aging process or prolong your life.

Reviewed/Updated: 9/05
Created: 9/00
Old 02-02-2007, 01:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I've been taking melatonin. No discernible buzz at all.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

thats interesting because they gave it out in my treatment center.. i dont think its the type of drug to be abused.. i still take it sometimes and still sober 10 months thank god
Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I've taken Melatonin for years (here and there) and never felt a buzz. It doesn't even really help me sleep. I will take a Xanax for sleep but Xanax doesn't do anything for me either other than make me drowsy.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I take Benadryl for allergies and melatonin for sleep. Neither one knocks me out or gives me any buzz at all. Melatonin gives me just a minor relaxation. Everyone is different.