View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
gratefulgal

While in rehab, I asked the "spirit gut" (he is a Tibbetean Buddhist) if there were any safe sleep aids recovering addicts could take, and I specifically asked him about Melatonin. (He was very knowledgeable in a lot of areas, especially herbal remedies). He told me that Melatonin is safe for me to take, but it's not supposed to be taken for an extended period of time. He also mentioned an herb called DonQuay (sp?) that he recommended. He said to stay away from Valerian Root since that's what Valium comes from (that was mentioned on this site before). I've taken Melatonin in the past and never experienced a high or any mood altering affects from it. I did feel a little groggy sometimes. I have not taken anything for sleep since I got clean only because I'm paranoid to take anything for sleep, even if it's not mood/mind-altering - the reason I started taking hydrocodone was because I like the way it helped me sleep. Therefore, for me personally, I want to really try to avoid any sleep aid for those personal reasons.