View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 06:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
mrhodes01
Another Long Rookie Thread...

Happy new year everyone! I've been on posting hiatus but sober as a judge (four months today)...except for sleeping pills, on which I've become an expert.

I entered recovery this time because of anxiety and lack of sleep when I tried to quit on my own, and I've tried a few things. Melatonin, Tylenol P.M, and Trazadone didn't work for me, then rehab took me off the xanax my regular doctor gave me for obvious reasons. They gave me ambien instead, which is the worst drug in the world in my opinion. I would sleep for three hours and then wake up needing another one. Made things worse, and I often took two and was groggy for two days thereafter.

So we tried Seroquel, which I still take, but I don't think it's a good idea. Racing thoughts are my big problem, and this definitely helps with that. I call it "lobotomy in a bottle," because when I take a full dose I just don't think about a damn thing and grin until I drift off into a sound 10-hour slumber. Then, of course, I can't wait to take another Seroquel to erase my thoughts, which, gee, is the role that alcohol always played in my life.

So now I just take a half dose when I'm really unable to sleep. I just wish somehow I could get everything in order to where I don't have these irrational thoughts that keep my up at night. But that's another post...

For myself, it's a bad idea for me to take any drug. But if I don't sleep, I become a nervous wreck and am likely to abuse "real" drugs. I think it's a Catch 22 a lot of us face.

Here's to a good natural night's sleep for all.

Tough situation.