Notices

Weekenders-Learning to cope, 26 - 29 January 2024

Old 01-27-2024, 07:44 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I find I talk about food A LOT nowadays. Please excuse me. I've started "reading" all my recipe books again and watching cooking series.
Even while walking with my group I seem to be talking about meals I've cooked, suggesting recipes and basically just thinking about it a lot. Quite a lot.
My family don't seem to mind
Old 01-27-2024, 08:37 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

The suggestion that Colonel Sanders could have anything to do with frozen fish was a manifestation of my somewhat warped sense of humor .

Enjoy your cooking and the fruits of your labor Ayers! Cooking, if one enjoys it, and trying new recipies are a great way to take the mind off of things.

least, be kind to yourself. Children can be mean sometimes.

My plans for having a little barbecue and doing some stargazing tonight have suddenly been dashed by a tremendous thunderstorm which seemed to come, quite literally, out of the blue. Still, any sober Saturday evening is a good evening.

Best wishes and good vibes to all the Weekenders.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:49 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Ck was supposed to get in contact with me after she got home from work to try to fix my health care web site, which I'm locked out of for the last week and a half. She's been saying she'd fix it since I first told her I was locked out but she's not done it yet. I told her I need to get in it so I can reserve my free taxi rides to my medical appts in Feb. I don't know if she just keeps forgetting or what. I am worried cause my first appt is on the 5th and I still don't have a taxi reserved to take me. I don't know if she's mad at me or what. I can't call their help number cause I don't think anyone's there on weekends, so can't reserve the taxi that way.

We can sort it out, love; talk to you later. s xx ❤️
Old 01-27-2024, 09:06 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Mr

Quick pop in to say hello.
All is well in vman land. The farmers had the country proper blocked the last 10 days... things are getting back to normal now.
I started playing squash again and am pretty chuffed about that. I have played on an off for a long time.

Are you a system engineer / db admin or more software Dragon ? im in the the IT Telco sector also...mostly working in IAM (sso) and SaaS integration these days.... and a little big data and gcp.

Good vibes to all 😀

Vinny
Old 01-27-2024, 10:11 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you V-Man.

Sorry about the friction with your daughter least, you're not dirt so don't think that way.

Well done on dropping the friend Steely, you to Ayers for your b'day party.

Good luck with the speech Dragon!

The number of wild Haggis is so low that it is a protected species now. There were a few unsuccessful attempts in the 19th century to try and domesticate them. This is the last domesticated herd ever to exist, near Selkirk in 1896.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:33 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Sao, the resemblance between these animals and their keepers is quite striking.

Good to see you Vman.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:48 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Talking of food, I've just had a spicy Inferno pizza, cheesy chips and jaalpeno wedges and a carton of chilli sauce. It's the sort of food I used to devour when I was drinking and got a taste for having some today. There must be some special ingredient in the alcohol that makes this meal taste good because it tasted quite rubbish to the sober me tonight..!

While waiting for my food, I looked at the opening hours of the takeaway. Friday and Saturday nights it's open from 4.30pm until 3.30am the next morning. I do wonder how many of their customers are sober after midnight (thankfully I was there at 6pm). Possibly none...
Old 01-27-2024, 11:02 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Sao, they are cute! They look kind of like Wombats, which are adorable. Thanks for sharing. Great pic!
In for a Sober Saturday. I'm hoping we'll see a little sun today. It does make a difference Although sometimes in the summer, when it's one hot sunny day after another, I'd crave an overcast day. I will enjoy the cooler temps while we have them!
Have a great, sober day all.
Mags, Learning to Cope is perfect. I'm learning to cope with situations sober that I have to deal with painful or not. Learning to cope is so much healthier and I'm grateful to be on this sober journey. I'm glad to be feeling better, still tired though, which I think is part of a bug my mom I are getting over. Now that my stomach is feeling much better, I'm just left tired. My mom is too. Hopefully this is the last part of it!
I haven't heard from my sister in a very long time. She must be mad at me and at this point I don't even care. I actually feel a lot more peaceful when they aren't around. My mom and Iget along fine when my sisters aren't in the mix. I should count my blessings and be glad they aren't around.
Have a wonderful rest of the weekend all! Love and peace to you all.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:53 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thanks to Sao’s post I did some reading up on the wild haggis. The following is interesting and if anyone wants to know more, it is an extract from their page on Wikipedia:

According to some sources, the wild haggis's left and right legs are of different lengths (cf. Sidehill gouger or Dahu), allowing it to run quickly around the steep mountains and hillsides which make up its natural habitat, but only in one direction.[2][3] It is further claimed that there are two varieties of haggis, one with longer left legs and the other with longer right legs. The former variety can run clockwise around a mountain (as seen from above) while the latter can run anticlockwise.[5] The two varieties coexist peacefully but are unable to interbreed in the wild because in order for the male of one variety to mate with a female of the other, he must turn to face in the same direction as his intended mate, causing him to lose his balance before he can mount her. As a result of this difficulty, differences in leg length among the haggis population are accentuated.[3]
Old 01-27-2024, 12:00 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Come on Zen, unlock the secret of the spice!

Thanks for acknowledging King Sting Ray. There is need to support young indigenous musicians. And, I'll give them a bat, anytime.

Their guitars were so shiny.

I like you are a metalhead zen.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:10 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Least, you say in your next life you will not have kids, only dogs and cats.

I reckon thats alright, but you could also be the mother you want to be in this life, and the next if you want. We all think we could have done better at mothering. An impossible goal. Constructed.

Being a good mother can mean 'stepping back', too. So I've learned.

I'd pay for my own taxi. It's not worth it, and it makes a statement. A good one.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:21 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Wild Haggi can be domesticated, where the common term 'sporran pet" comes from.

Is there anything worn under the kilt? No, it's all in perfect working order

I made 2 funnies

Old 01-27-2024, 01:48 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Slept good last night, almost 10 hours. Today, for fun, I'm going to walk around the bldg and clean up the piles of poop that irresponsible dog owners have left all over.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:54 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Late pledge today. Day 481.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:06 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

@RunnerF Hi buddy KOKO!
Day 516 sober in the books
Old 01-27-2024, 06:49 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Took Billie for our second walk at 5 pm. Got at least 50 of the large poop bags the bldg provides and went around the back yard and around the bldg picking up poop. Used all the bags and had to use a few of mine to pick it all up. Wrote a note on bright pink paper that I had picked up at least 50 piles of poop because it was grossing me out, and asked, in capital letters for dog owners to PLEASE pick up after their dog(s)!!!! Taped the note to the mail room wall. Don't know if it will do any good...

Billie and I have walked almost 2 miles today.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:30 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Yes, pick up your dog poop, but don't put it in my bin!

Hate that.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:43 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
^^^ @Zencat , so... do you have that "secret ingredient" to share with us lesser mortals?
@Hodd , Nando's sell packets of their spices in our supermarkets. My children have tried it and made us some mean boogie bowls. It was delicious. Chicken breasts in oven in a bag with the spices. Corn, avo, fried halloumi (excellent in air fryer) and spiced rice in a bowl. Yummy. Maybe surprise your partner?
And thank you, Peke I'm fine about going - no fear - looking forward to the flame dancers. I'd better wear something non-flamable because I can't promise I won't be joining them
Just not in the mood for a l-a-t-e night and silly, slurring people. Will have to keep a straight face and bear with.
“Silly slurring ppl”…ugh! Totally get that. XO
Old 01-27-2024, 11:44 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
I find I talk about food A LOT nowadays. Please excuse me. I've started "reading" all my recipe books again and watching cooking series.
Even while walking with my group I seem to be talking about meals I've cooked, suggesting recipes and basically just thinking about it a lot. Quite a lot.
My family don't seem to mind
Me too! I feel like when I can’t sleep (which is every night) I watch YouTube videos about cooking, restaurants etc…
Old 01-27-2024, 11:46 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

(((least))) so kind of you to do that,
It irks me when ppl don’t pick up!! Once when I was in the park I saw a man with four dogs. He lets them all go. Didn’t pick up. I said “hey I’ve got some bags, would you like one?” He pretended that he didn’t hear me.