Notices

Weekenders-Learning to cope, 26 - 29 January 2024

Old 01-28-2024, 06:31 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Sunday friends,

I had a delightful pizza while travelling on business this week, topped with the best mozzarella, fine prosciutto ham, baby yellow tomatoes (delicious) and basil. It was their special of the day, with a thin stone baked sourdough base. Delicious and surprisingly not too expensive. The waitress was a little disappointed when I only ordered a diet coke to go with it, but I left an extra tip to say thank you.

I was amused by your tales of the server room Dragon. I've done my fair bit of jobbing IT in the past and can relate. Hypervisors FTW!

Thanks Mags for the thread - I'm certainly still learning to cope but it's getting easier....

Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:39 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
Wow …that should have been intense!!
We have no interesting pizza options here
The menu for my local pizza takeaway includes all sorts of weird and wonderful toppings - 42 different pizza variants! Next time (probably a few months down the road) I might try a Volcano Pizza which appears to be the Inferno I had last night with pepperoni and garlic added to it...
Old 01-28-2024, 07:38 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

;Least - I didn't realize you had more kids other than Ck. You doin't talk about them.

CK seems like she cares.

FF= You got out - but you seem struggling. There is nothing wrong with just sitting and watching the TV. My team plays today. See how that goes.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:53 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

had a delightful pizza while travelling on business this week, topped with the best mozzarella, fine prosciutto ham, baby yellow tomatoes (delicious) and basil. It was their special of the day, with a thin stone baked sourdough base.
Steady on, Forwards! I’m starving now 🤣 The only pizza places around here are franchises ☹️
Old 01-28-2024, 09:25 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

For what it is worth, My Neighbor, who I am very good friends with - I take care of her pets when she travels - is having a football party. I'll go over -beer will be flowing. It doesn't bother me. I never told anyone about my alcoholism. It doesn't bother me if other people drink. I was just done with it. It isn't a poison to me, it's just like a peanut allergy. If I can't have it, doesn't mean anyone else can't have it.
I hope everyone has a nice weekend.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:40 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I enjoy thin crust pizza with pepperoni and jalapenos.. yummm
Same here. Add a few onions, sausage, and green peppers.

Least, I hope that all that poo is just dog poo if you know what I mean.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:30 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That was good of you to pick up all that dog poo least. Do be really careful though - bacteria and all that.

I'm really boring when it comes to pizza. I look at all the variations and then get a margherita every single time. Mr Sad.

Captain, i'm impressed that they got David Attenborough to narrate that documentary

Originally Posted by needingtochange View Post
Infamy! Infamy!

They've all got it in for me.

Apologies to Kenneth Williams and to all the lucky folk who have never seen a Carry On film.
Old 01-28-2024, 11:29 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I am blown away with the cute Haggis creatures.
I swear I immediately thought - ugh - haggis and mash - that dish they have in the UK
Please tell me I'm not the dunce in this thread?
Old 01-28-2024, 11:34 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Offthemast, yum to sausage too and some onions. I love onions...but only raw.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:59 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

After WW2 Michigan had a POW camp of Italian prisoners. After the war, they were free to go but many settled in Detroit. Sicilian deep dish with a thick absorbent bread-like dough, crunchy bottom, loads of sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni with extra anchovies. YUMY!
Old 01-28-2024, 01:15 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
I had a great ride today. I was on my own. But it felt good to clear my head a bit. Thirty-five miles with my fastest time. Wish Advbike were around to see my strava. But he’s away now.
Had a nice catch up with a friend afterwards.
Today is day 16.
Starving for pizza now!!
Old 01-28-2024, 01:31 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Captain, I was very careful picking it up, wrapped a bag around my hand, then picked up the poop, tied the bag, and put it in a plastic bag on my walker handle. I carried antiseptic wipes with me and cleaned my hands several times.

Went to bed at 1am and woke up at 1 pm.

Going to take Billie for a walk as soon as the critters are fed.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:59 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on 35 miles Peke!

I'm not saying my New Years Resolutions aren't going well - but I ate an Easter Egg today.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:24 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

^^ Very well done, Peke 👍 I bought a turbo trainer last Black Friday and did a virtual ride this morning. It uses an app called Zwift, and I think it’s great - it even reproduces hills! Mind you, it was only around 15 miles. I think you’re the undisputed SR bike champ 🚴‍♀️

Now will everyone stop talking about pizza 🤣
Old 01-28-2024, 04:21 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Thank you Sao. I feel so much better *mentally* after I work out. I swear I feel so much calmer. If was so hard to pull myself out of bed this morning. It was dark, foggy and rainy. But I knew that if I went ahead and rode, that I’d feel peaceful and optimistic. And I do.
Sometimes I think that riding solo is healthy. At least once in a while. I’m hustling. But I can think. About my goals with sobriety etc.
sorry to go on!

Hodd…yes Zwift!! I think that I’m the only person in my bike club who doesn’t have a trainer and who doesn’t use Zwift. Goigj to look into it for sure. Our local bike store has a few trainers on sale now too.

How was your walk, Least? Took our three dogs to the beach. They’re all Sandy now!! But they love to sniff the air etc.

Hi Ayers! Hi Alpine!

Hey Brandy. That’s wonderful that it doesn’t trigger you when others drink. Like you, it doesn’t bother me when I’m in a public setting. I don’t know why. I think I’m scared of getting intoxicated too fast. And slurring.etc. This is one reason that I don’t drink in public.

I’m watching football now. The 49ers are playing the Lions.

I can’t believe today is day sixteen. I feel so good. I’m so grateful that December (and my surgery/recuperation) is over. That was an awful month. I didn’t plan for that monthl. Two huge binges.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:55 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

PS-
A friend just sent a link to this article that said this!

“For better depression management, research has often suggested exercise as a way to ease symptoms and optimize therapeutic approaches—for example, one study notes that exercise may improve how you respond to antidepressants. But a recent study, published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, stacks exercise like running directly up against medications to see which is more effective.

Turns out, they have similar benefits, but running led to other physical health improvements while antidepressants had the opposite effect.”
Old 01-28-2024, 04:56 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Awesome Peke, for putting in the miles and the better mood from it.

Watching the Frisco and Detroit American Rules Rugby game. Tackle football is rough stuff with some hard hits. Football is 155 years old and the fans still eat up the stuff.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:03 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Billie and I have taken two walks today, almost 2 miles. She walks so nicely with that Gentle Leader head halter. I gave her a treat when we got home cause she was so good on our walks.

I just tried weighing her, but it said she weighed 23.3 lbs and that can't be right...

This afternoon I'm going to grind her nails a bit. I get her to cooperate by giving her tiny pieces of hot dog every time she lets me grind a nail.

Peke, I truly believe that my walking every day several times improves my mood and makes my attitude much more positive.

Have an appt tomorrow with the podiatrist. Will tell him how badly my big toenails are hurting all the time. The pain feels like I smashed my big toe with a hammer or ran it into a door frame or something.

Gave Franny her every other day steroid pill. She rarely has those wheezing episodes now so the steroids must be helping.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:22 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey Peke - My team lost. I used to play a lot of sports - I will say this about me - I have always been a good loser. -

If someone beats me it doesn't t bother me. I have always been my own worst enemy. I used to play tennis and was ranked. That is a lonely sport.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good weekend.= Onwards we go....
Old 01-28-2024, 06:48 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Made it through the weekend. Celebrated 2 months. Today and yesterday were tough. Big desire to drink and today nothing was going right. But I made it through and looking forward to waking up clear headed tomorrow and taking on a new day. Wishing everyone a nice Sunday evening.