Notices

Weekenders-Learning to cope, 26 - 29 January 2024

Old 01-29-2024, 03:59 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
@Pekelover It takes a bit of effort/questions to set up a bike trainer. If you’re using your bike, you have to buy a cassette (the rear gears) to match your bike’s. My Zwift app is on my iPhone, which is too small to see. I have a hack where I set up a Zoom video call to my laptop, but I’m sure there’s a more sensible way. Finally, you need a table to put your laptop on at eye level. I’ve currently got a table and cardboard box for this 🤣 but I’ll buy a proper stand. Oh and then there’s the monthly Zwift fee which is only £12 here in the UK and can be cancelled anytime, e.g. summer. It all takes a lot of setting up, but it’s worth it. My triathlon club do “group rides” where the software keeps the group together regardless of speed/ability.
Thank you for this, Hodd! On my strava I see a lot of ppl’s Zwift hooked up to their computers. Never thought to ask them: does it work on an iPad, lol! But I think the table cardboard box are a great hack!! It looks so fun, too. You get to visit all of these cool places, lol. One friend was in Puma yesterday (off of Papa New Guinea). And he was warm and dry. While I was riding in the fog and rain, lol
Old 01-29-2024, 04:07 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I can’t sleep. Having issues with boundaries.
A friend in my bike club asked me to volunteer for a seminar he’s lecturing in. It’s all day this sat.
I’ve volunteered twice for his organization last year (and I volunteer a lot for many different organizations and efforts). Plus I donated a donated a nice amount of $ last year. And this seminar is $50 this weekend.
Finally last night I replied “hey are (our other friends from bike club) going?”. Because he’s asking me to recruit other friends of mine (my personal friends) to this seminar. On Jan first he did a polar plunge with mutual friends from our bike club. Why not ask them too? Why just me. Probably because I always say yes. But what kills me is he does polar plunge with the others from bike club. and posts it all on Facebook. Like why not ask them to go to this seminar. They’re friends too. Right?

I’m bummed. because sat is a bike club day for us to ride. (He’s in the bike club too). If I ride with our friends and don’t go to this eight hour session he’ll be hurt.
Why is it never enough? I donated $550 last year to his organization. Plus volunteered twice each time six hours. (I truly enjoy volunteering!! But where is everyone else?)

His wife had back surgery last month. I got her a really nice care package. It even had these cozy Ugg socks. I put it together with a lot of thought.
Why is it never enough? Why do I have to feel guilty of o want to rode this Sat in stead of going to an eight hour seminar?
Old 01-29-2024, 05:13 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

I answered you in the class thread, Peke, honey. s ❤️

Sending oodles of love to Mags and least ❤️❤️
Old 01-29-2024, 06:01 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Peke, I did not think you were bragging at all. Some people find stress relief from high intensity exercise, others by a l stroll and others by participating in more sedentary activities.

I have been working on this.

[/url]

Old 01-29-2024, 07:01 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
Thank you for this, Hodd! On my strava I see a lot of ppl’s Zwift hooked up to their computers. Never thought to ask them: does it work on an iPad, lol! But I think the table cardboard box are a great hack!! It looks so fun, too. You get to visit all of these cool places, lol. One friend was in Puma yesterday (off of Papa New Guinea). And he was warm and dry. While I was riding in the fog and rain, lol
It’s fairly realistic although as it’s a flat screen, you can’t see hills. The gradient is displayed in the top right corner. If you’re not concentrating, your legs suddenly go all heavy and you notice the gradient. The turbo trainer (via Zwift) varies the amount of resistance. Zwift should work directly on an iPad a smart TV apparently. I’m going to buy a proper table - needs to be very high to be at eye level.

I like the fact you can see your cadence. I’m always told to up my cadence. It’s obvious but surprising you get the same power and speed by pedalling faster rather than changing to a higher gear. That might be a triathlete idea though 🙂
Old 01-29-2024, 07:09 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chancellor, well done on 2 months of recovery.

Least, I hope Billie's weight is okay. Can you double check?
Old 01-29-2024, 08:30 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Least - maybe you and ck need a little time apart? My BF of 30 years passed from cancer a few years ago. We went through a few difficult times when we had to get away from each other. It didn't last long and I have no idea why it happened. It just did. We'd spend some time apart and then we would be fine - like nothing happened

I think depending on her for money gives her some leverage. It will work itself out.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:15 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Thanks Alpine. I appreciate what you wrote. Everyday that I exercise is a day that gives me strength to stay sober.

Thanks ,Venus. I shouldn’t have gone on like that. It’s will be okay. I know he counts on me because I’m a good friend.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:17 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Mags-
How did things go with your MIL?
Hi Hodd, Anna and Brandy.
How are you doing Least?
Old 01-29-2024, 11:05 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Bub, thank you for your kind words. It is nice to see you back!
Grateful this weekend was sober and going into a sober week. I have some things to do today. I wish I had a little more pep in my step.
Have a great day all. Love and peace to you all.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:04 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Old 01-29-2024, 01:36 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

So true Allpjne.
I was beating myself up over not setting some boundaries. But actually, I did manage to set some boundaries because I didn’t say yes to this friend right away. I held back and said that I needed to regroup and see what my schedule was like. So although I am upset with myself a little bit I did have the foresight to not say yes, right away. That’s a baby step that I can be proud of.

PS
thank you again Venus for your help. It means a great deal to me.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:37 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

My pleasure, dear Peke. s ❤️❤️
Old 01-29-2024, 03:46 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Good for you Peke
Old 01-29-2024, 09:50 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alpine, it wouldn't do any good to call my brother cause he knows even less about computers and phones and other IT stuff than I do. . He can't help me deal with ck, and he can't help me with computer issues. He's sharp as a tack in other ways tho. He makes a darn good chocolate chip cookie!! Other kinds of delicious cookies and bar cookies too.. They are SO GOOD!!! I've given them to many of my friends and they all say it's one hell of a good cookie. He's also good at living on his own in the wilderness (sort of) in Alaska, near the town of Wasila for about 20 yrs. He built his own house, all but the electricity, which a friend of his did, being a licensed electrician, but charged him a great rate. No indoor plumbing but his had an outhouse, and rigged up something in the kitchen to dispense water for drinking and cooking and coffee. Had a big bucket under the sink for the waste water and used it to water his garden. No, bro can't help me with computers and such, but he can do just about anything else.

I've got to go to bed early so I can get up at six am to take Billie out for potty and find, and capture, Lily-cat so I can shove her into the cat carrier to take them both to the vet at 7 am for their dental cleaning. Vet will do some other things when they're out, like nail trims, anal gland expression, and a shot of cytopoint for Billie's itching. Also bloodwork for both of them to see if they're fit to go under anesthesia. I hope hope hope vet doesn't have to pull any of Billie's teeth... I've been bushing her teeth for the last year now, twice a day, after breakfast and supper. She doesn't like it, but tolerates it cause the reward she gets for letting me brush her teeth is a petite Greenie, dental chew, sweet potato flavor - her favorite!! And those help to clean her teeth too. I also put a water additive in their water that changes the pH of their saliva so that tartar and plaque don't develop as easily. It must help cause when the vet saw Lilly's teeth two months ago he said they looked pretty good. I cannot brush Lily's teeth. I have tried many times, but each time she forgets that she loves me and tries to scratch my eyes out when I try to give her meds, brush her teeth, or put her in the dreaded carrier!!!

I get it down from the shelf in the closet and get it ready to stuff her in it, then go find her and grab her quick before she realizes what's going on.... Going to call a Lyft to take us to the vet but will bring my wheeled walker and walk home. Then when they are ready to be picked up, I'll take my walker and walk down there, only a 15 minute walk, and call a Lyft to bring us all home. I don't want to make Billie walk home while she's still recovering from the anesthetic, better to let her ride in comfort. I am so anxious to find out her accurate weight as the vet's scales are more accurate than my bathroom scales. I have been walking her several times a day for the last five months or so and hope to get her back to her best weight of 20 lbs. She had weighed that much for most of the 8 yrs I've had her, but I gave her too much snacks last summer and she gained almost 4 lbs!! I hope our walking and her reduced portion of food has made her lose that weight!
Old 01-30-2024, 12:02 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Alpine, it wouldn't do any good to call my brother cause he knows even less about computers and phones and other IT stuff than I do. . He can't help me deal with ck, and he can't help me with computer issues. He's sharp as a tack in other ways tho. He makes a darn good chocolate chip cookie!! Other kinds of delicious cookies and bar cookies too.. They are SO GOOD!!! I've given them to many of my friends and they all say it's one hell of a good cookie. He's also good at living on his own in the wilderness (sort of) in Alaska, near the town of Wasila for about 20 yrs. He built his own house, all but the electricity, which a friend of his did, being a licensed electrician, but charged him a great rate. No indoor plumbing but his had an outhouse, and rigged up something in the kitchen to dispense water for drinking and cooking and coffee. Had a big bucket under the sink for the waste water and used it to water his garden. No, bro can't help me with computers and such, but he can do just about anything else.

I've got to go to bed early so I can get up at six am to take Billie out for potty and find, and capture, Lily-cat so I can shove her into the cat carrier to take them both to the vet at 7 am for their dental cleaning. Vet will do some other things when they're out, like nail trims, anal gland expression, and a shot of cytopoint for Billie's itching. Also bloodwork for both of them to see if they're fit to go under anesthesia. I hope hope hope vet doesn't have to pull any of Billie's teeth... I've been bushing her teeth for the last year now, twice a day, after breakfast and supper. She doesn't like it, but tolerates it cause the reward she gets for letting me brush her teeth is a petite Greenie, dental chew, sweet potato flavor - her favorite!! And those help to clean her teeth too. I also put a water additive in their water that changes the pH of their saliva so that tartar and plaque don't develop as easily. It must help cause when the vet saw Lilly's teeth two months ago he said they looked pretty good. I cannot brush Lily's teeth. I have tried many times, but each time she forgets that she loves me and tries to scratch my eyes out when I try to give her meds, brush her teeth, or put her in the dreaded carrier!!!

I get it down from the shelf in the closet and get it ready to stuff her in it, then go find her and grab her quick before she realizes what's going on.... Going to call a Lyft to take us to the vet but will bring my wheeled walker and walk home. Then when they are ready to be picked up, I'll take my walker and walk down there, only a 15 minute walk, and call a Lyft to bring us all home. I don't want to make Billie walk home while she's still recovering from the anesthetic, better to let her ride in comfort. I am so anxious to find out her accurate weight as the vet's scales are more accurate than my bathroom scales. I have been walking her several times a day for the last five months or so and hope to get her back to her best weight of 20 lbs. She had weighed that much for most of the 8 yrs I've had her, but I gave her too much snacks last summer and she gained almost 4 lbs!! I hope our walking and her reduced portion of food has made her lose that weight!
Least-
I have to give you the award for best dog mom ever! I pretty much gave up on brushing my dogs’ teeth years ago. And going for their dental cleanings is always a nightmare! I have seen that additive for their water to put in to help with tartar. But I wasn’t sure if it worked. All three of my dogs get the cytopoint injection. I think it helps. But once still licks her paws furiously.

I’m concerned about this situation with CK. She can’t be the only person who can help you with this computer situation. 😞
Old 01-30-2024, 12:05 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
It’s fairly realistic although as it’s a flat screen, you can’t see hills. The gradient is displayed in the top right corner. If you’re not concentrating, your legs suddenly go all heavy and you notice the gradient. The turbo trainer (via Zwift) varies the amount of resistance. Zwift should work directly on an iPad a smart TV apparently. I’m going to buy a proper table - needs to be very high to be at eye level.

I like the fact you can see your cadence. I’m always told to up my cadence. It’s obvious but surprising you get the same power and speed by pedalling faster rather than changing to a higher gear. That might be a triathlete idea though 🙂
I’ve seen the display. My friends, who have Zwift on Strava take a screenshot and so you can see the scenery. And it’s beautiful! I would really enjoy trying it.
I felt pretty good after my 35 mile ride yesterday. Today is weights and I was going to hold off on doing legs because of my ride. But I ended up doing this work out:

Curtsey lunges, RDLs, single leg RDLs, pause squats, side plank dips/holds, chest presses, reverse presses, diamond/traditional push-ups, chest flyes, alt chest flyes with slow decline, OH tricep presses, tricep kickbacks, reverse crutches, flutter kicks, scissor crossovers, leg lift + hip lifts, back lunges, Cossack squats, lateral lunges, bicycles, cross punches, alt bent over rows, wide and supine rows, shoulder presses, upright rows, rear delt rows, 90° lateral raises, front raises and 45° degree press. Finisher: RDL + bent over row, clean & press and alternating curl to press.

It was a total body. I’d like to run tomorrow because I want to participate in a race at the end of next month. But I’ll see how I’m feeling.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:19 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 484.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:55 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

’ve seen the display. My friends, who have Zwift on Strava take a screenshot and so you can see the scenery. And it’s beautiful! I would really enjoy trying it.
I felt pretty good after my 35 mile ride yesterday. Today is weights and I was going to hold off on doing legs because of my ride. But I ended up doing this work out:
You get a few screenshots and even videos on Strava after a Zwift ride. The videos are quite impressive - it’s be great to have a giant screen and feel immersed in Watopia (the imaginary name for the Zwift world).

I was in Watopia the other day, and there were live dinosaurs roaming around 🤣

I really like the undulating hills. You really have to concentrate. I’m often texting other Zwifters I know and suddenly feel my legs get heavy as an unseen hill appears. I even have a fan blowing in my face for affect - plus it’s super sweaty!
Old 01-30-2024, 03:09 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Least you have a busy morning coming up. Good luck with all of that.
Got the results back from MRI and CT scan I had yesterday in my email. Will be meeting up with my oncologist later this week. From what I read the lungs look clear and my leg where the tumor I have atrophy of the lateral quad..mainly because the surgeon had to sacrifice the nerve that feeds that area and the swelling probably due to the remove of lymph node. So I know I won't be able to do much for the atrophy..I will just have to make the surrounding muscles stronger..Whoops there I am..The OT in me coming out.