Notices

Class of January 2023 Part 1

Old 01-12-2023, 03:06 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Day 12, exhausted but sober. Going to nap, naps are self care. Also, I love my air fryer
Old 01-12-2023, 04:18 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bobbie, I'm glad you saw something positive come out of your mil's passing.

TC, I hope you take a moment to be impressed with yourself for your hard work in moving forward with your new job.

BassetDog, congratulations on Day 8.

FDL, I'm glad that exercise is helping with the insomnia.

Best Wishes to all the January group.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:16 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tica2023 View Post
Day 12, exhausted but sober. Going to nap, naps are self care. Also, I love my air fryer
Good job, Tica. Keep going.

3 months in the pocket for me today. Posting this in the middle of the night. I can't sleep, I think I'm stoked about this.
Is there anyone with good advice on how to handle the amount of energy you get from being sober?
Old 01-12-2023, 08:23 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Thank you, Basset! It’s definitely been a challenge finding the correct puppy spot 🤦🏻‍♀️😆

I love your post, Bobbie. It made me giggle, and will definitely be something I tell myself ha!

Today was a little bit of a challenging day. I was pushed outside of my comfort zone, which is normally nobody’s favorite. I had to get up and speak to a room full of strangers, and my anxiety went to space! On top of the anxiety, I’ve been pretty emotional too.

To alleviate the stress I went and worked out after work. You would think that I would’ve been anxiety and stress free but I ended up crying on my way home. Today was definitely a bucket ball of emotions. Hopefully a good nights rest will have me feeling differently in the morning.

Good night 😊
Old 01-13-2023, 01:57 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 103.

Best to all here wherever you may be on your journey. Hoping all find peace and serenity.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:47 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Good morning folks,
. 5 weeks today for me.
I just have a feeling of overall contentment and peace this morning.
It's almost hard to put into words.

Take action- you should be proud of your day yesterday.
Public speaking would put my anxiety thru the roof. But it sounds like you handled it well by going and working out. Even crying is healthy, we do it for a reason, even if it doesn't seem like it.
Bobbie- sorry for your loss. Enjoy your w/e with granddaughters.

Another sober day here
Have a good one folks!
Old 01-13-2023, 02:56 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Checking in for day 11.. happy Friday folks!
Old 01-13-2023, 04:57 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Hi all-
Checking in on another sober day. I won't drink today.

Best to all.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:33 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

So proud of everyone's continued commitment to sobriety and very grateful for your continued participation here!

Chopstickcheese: I definitely have more energy now, but it took several months for the ennui of self-imposed shame and regret to lift. Now that I've gotten free and found forgiveness, I feel like my energy (though not boundless) is BIG ENOUGH for whatever tasks are required of me. So, I try to wake each morning and pray "What is required of me, today? Please give me strength to accomplish it." That helps give me direction for the energy.

Now, in recovery, I have daily goals for physical activity (I walk/hike a TON for work and run with my kids on days off), spiritual activity (I'm doing a12-Step workshop with Herb K. through youtube and attending AA 3-4 times a week), family activity(reading with my boys, helping with homework, cooking, enjoying a movie or game, date night with my partner), social activity (lunch with a friend at least once each week, regular phone visits or coffee dates), and mental activity (reading a novel, reading and posting here, writing poetry).

Even with all the goals, I'm just a human being human, so some days I'm still really tired. When I can, I allow myself to just take a day off to rest and veg out. Working hard makes me appreciate rest much more.

Zenith: I carry my (up to 45lb) bag cross-body with the strap on my left shoulder and the bag on my right hip. I'm not able to switch up my shoulders due to an old injury (substance-related ) to my right shoulder, but I'm stretching and growing and (so far) I've avoided any pain. Thanks for your sweet concern. You are awesome!

Good going all!
Old 01-13-2023, 06:04 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Thank you, Zenith. I have to speak once a week for the next month and a half! I’m surprised I haven’t fainted ha!

I’m feeling better this morning, but felt myself just wanting to stay buried under the covers. Yesterday took a lot of my social battery.

I hope you all have a fabulous Friday!

committed to my sobriety on day 38 ☺️
Old 01-13-2023, 06:19 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Is it really Friday? What a busy week. I started a new course this week, and silly me thought it was a good idea to take two classes at the same time. Well, as Bobbie's sig (and our dear Anna) say: we can do hard things.

Love to all of you and I will read and catch up.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:27 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Not drinking today.
Takeaction - way to get through a tough day. Speaking may or may not get easier for you, but you now know you can get through it. It's hard - but you can do hard things.
Toughchoices - I am impressed with your daily routines. Thanks for sharing them.
Morning, Sam!
Wes - great job on day 11!
Zenithboy - Your post made me smile. Happy 5 weeks and I'm glad you are feeling peace. That's a big deal.
Runnerf - 103! It really is going fast!
Chopstickcheese - Walk daily, work out, take a dance class, start running, read, knit, (I made some t-shirt quilts) These are all things people in this group are doing. Oh, and ride a bike. Congratulations on 3 months!
Anna - have a lovely day.
Tica - naps are my favorite form of selfcare.
FDL- I'm proud of you too. Life really is better sober.
Bassetdog - I think one of the best things to come from Covid lockdown was the increase in online meetings. Glad you are making use of them! A great tool to have.
JulySeaCoast - wishing you a great day
Suze - love you!
AL48 - Hey!
Zencat - I hope today brings you peace and joy!
Hey, Dee!

I'm looking forward to a fun and crazy weekend with my grandchildren. My sister is staying over on Saturday with 2 of hers. Monday I am going to need to rest. lol

​​​​​​​
"You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there."
Day 96
Old 01-13-2023, 08:23 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Lucky 13 days
Feeling pretty good.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:41 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by BassetDog View Post
I too have purchased random things while drunk more times than I care to admit. We got an air fryer delivered one morning and I have no idea why i bought it. We still haven’t used it, but if we come across a recipe we want to try that calls for an air fryer, we are ready! 🤣
I laughed out loud here at work with the air fryer purchase! 🤣

Day 12 here! Stay strong and healthy!
Old 01-13-2023, 11:00 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

I am nearing the end of day 13 , today is Serbian New Year ( i don't really care about that ) , but that means that half of the country will be drunk tonight , i will be joining the other half
Feeling shaky and anxious today , it sucks but i am so incredibly lucky that i work from home , if i had to go to the office i would certainly drink , so i'm just going to tough it out at home
Old 01-13-2023, 11:23 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, LazaB! I hope the anxiety passes quickly.
Renegade - great job on day 12! I laughed at the air fryer too. Amazon is not your friend when you are drinking.
Five tries - 13 on the 13th! Well done.

Old 01-13-2023, 02:46 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

LazaB - I hope the anxiety passes too. The emotional ups and downs during early sobriety are a major challenge for me too. It’s cliche but I just try to remind itself it’s temporary and this too shall pass.

Congrats to everyone celebrating milestones. This has been a great group to be a part of for me. I appreciate everyone for sharing their experiences.

Checking in on day 9 for me. Stressful day at work. So glad it’s over and done with. Not much planned this weekend. Might go see Avatar with my wife. Indoor soccer starts for my son. My Achilles and ankle are almost to the point where I can do some light Peloton work so I’m super excited about that. And who knows, maybe I’ll find a recipe online and fire up my infamous air fryer for the first time!

Hope everyone has a great rest of their Friday. I’m committed to 24 more. I won’t be picking up that first drink today.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:00 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Chop
Is there anyone with good advice on how to handle the amount of energy you get from being sober?
YES and its simple sounding but amazing at the same time, Follow Your Bliss.

Follow your bliss means what are you passionate about, what brings you alive and how do you want to express that zest through your actions. I started my passion expression quest only months ago. I'm doing what I love with those that love me as I love them. And without being sober, I'll be back in the pit of despair in no time flat. Sober energy is sober direction for me. Find a path with heart and follow it to your dreams.

Holding fast and steady at the helm. Been a few rough seas with a rough wave here and there, but sailing is breezy today. No rum in captain Zen 4 1/2 months. I run a dry and tidy ship matties. Got a mighty good crew here, willing and able rules the day Arrrr. Only two standing orders. 1. Never drink again and 2. Follow rule 1.

Old 01-13-2023, 06:27 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Aye aye, Captain!
Old 01-13-2023, 06:41 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Another sober Friday, 13 on the 13th. Tonight the husband came home with a bottle of wine for him. I hid the bottle and said just give it another day? He hasn’t asked me about the bottle. Time for a coffee.