Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 16 - 19 December 2022

Notices

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 16 - 19 December 2022

Old 12-19-2022, 10:54 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I love love love hot sauces.
If everything works out we should be able to close on a house on Friday. We most likely won't move in for a few weeks, but who knows.
I love hot sauces but I have to be a bit more careful havibng them these days as they can cause problems with my stomach / digestion!
Old 12-19-2022, 12:09 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Kaily, that is lovely! . Good job!

I woke up this morning in time to get my grocery order.

I have a bit of a stomach ache this morning. Took some simethicone and hope it gets better.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:21 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Least, I hope you feel better! Also others that have posted. One of these days I'm going to have to learn how to post photos. I want to share photos of my son's border collie opening a package of three tennis balls. She knows how to open the package to get the balls out. I'm off to Costco to buy some gift cards to give as Christmas gifts. Trivia: the Salt Lake Costco is the largest in the world. It combines a regular Costco and a business center. Happy holidays everyone!
Old 12-19-2022, 01:39 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...our-posts.html (How to put pics in your posts)

D
Old 12-19-2022, 01:42 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I'm back again.

The first time in 8 days since the icy weather I can see the green field and not ice or frost. I think I preferred it the other way - more exciting! As of last Friday, around 11 PM Irish time, I am now 'Auntie Tetra'. I am so happy and excited and relieved for them both. I would be a very bad sister if I wasn't. However, at same time my emotions have been torn in two. When I discovered I was pregnant about two years ago, unfortunately I did not get to have my child.

It is what it is.

Not everyone who yearns for a child is granted that one important wish and that is a journey of grief and loss in itself that should never be forgotten but acknowledged and respected by us all.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:16 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Magsie

Tetra, I am sorry for your loss of your child.

RunningScared, it’ll be great seeing photo’s of your son’s border collie.

Dee thanks for the link.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:27 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Congratulations on becoming an Auntie, Tetra.

Mags the painting is away in the cupboard.

Ski resort is all dark now.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:05 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aw that’s a shame Kaily. . I just looked at the ski resort. -19. that’ll kill any bugs.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:36 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

One more sleep Mags and you will be in your lovely new house, how exciting.

I'm sorry to be ms sorry socks but I am feeling really down. I look out for my difficult dad all the time, my sister only visits/phones him twice a year. She never even contacts me to see how he is doing. Unbeknown to me she has arranged to visit him tomorrow, neither of them even let me know. I only know now as I took my dad shopping yesterday and asked.

I am busy tomorrow so can't go. I was hoping to tell my sister I need more support with him, moral as much as anything else. Shopping yesterday he bought cake for her, he never treats me at all. Basically I feel like they are taking me for granted and not even noticing what I do. All his washing is hanging in my bathroom having been washed by me and at my expense.

I told my dad I was hurt and he laughed and just said they didn't know I was busy. Had they asked they would of done. I have gifts for her and her grandchildren. I feel invisible

I have to phone him shortly and his breathing was very bad but I kind of don't want to. And I am expected to cook Christmas dinner for him too.

Who does anything for me ...
Old 12-20-2022, 12:57 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Kaily . There's nothing worse than feeling like you're being taken for granted. Can you not speak to your sister and explain how it is making you feel? That said,I had the same problem with one of my sisters when my dad was unable to do much for himself. She's always been quite the expert at getting out of doing things and used every excuse in the world for why she couldn't come to his house to help.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:02 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I just want to run away
Old 12-20-2022, 01:15 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Does your sister even acknowledge that you do a lot for your dad? My sister didn't, which was highly annoying as it was me that was going there just about every day, cooking and cleaning for him, doing his washing etc.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:24 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Kaily sorry you are being treated so poorly. Being taken for granted by others is painful at times. I have found myself in the same situation with family members and when I do I remind myself to be grateful I can help them and I am doing it for me as much as I do it for them. I can feel good about myself because I am doing the right thing. We sometimes can’t change others but we decide how we think and feel. This attitude has helped me endure the various snubs I have felt from less than appreciative family members. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:24 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

No I don't hear from her at all.

It was the same when we were growing up. I had to care for my alcoholic grandma who we lived with while she was just out all the time with her BF. I think it is bringing back those emotions.

Thanks Robbie. I am sorry you have been through similar.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:26 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 79. Best to all for a peaceful and serene day.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:07 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Awesome job runner!
Kaily, I am in that same situation too. Not a fun place to be
Tetra, Mr A and I wanted to have children too but it was not in our cards. Big hug to you
As usual, trying to fly under the radar with my MIL, whenever I don't things can get quite uncomfortable. visited my Mom yesterday at the rehab place. She is not walking far at all and certainly not functional. I am trying to keep an eye on all of this so we can plan appropriately. Good thing I have many years of experience working in this field otherwise I would be a stress ball
Old 12-20-2022, 04:58 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Tetra, congrats on being an aunt. On the other hand, I can imagine how it would be a devastating emotional drain for you. I wonder sometimes if things I wanted didn't work out for some greater reason that is yet unforeseen.

Kaily, we certainly appreciate you for who you are and wouldn't trade you. Your dad is lucky to have you.

Alpine, prayers for the situation with your mom.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:54 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kaily
Old 12-20-2022, 02:11 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Dee thanks for that quote as I needed that too today. Sick of being attacked by my son over his issues. Not taking it anymore.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:16 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Forget to mention something about last weekend while at my buddy's farm house. A couple of other friends were there as well. One of them often brings a 'nicer' bottle of bourbon with him while away from home. This time was not an exception He wasn't pushy at all, but did ask if I wanted some. In the old days it would have been automatic. Pretty much everyone knows that I've quit by now, but I still get offered alcohol. I know that it is deeply engrained in people as a way of demonstrating friendship. It does start to get old though.