Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 16 - 19 December 2022

Notices

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 16 - 19 December 2022

Old 12-15-2022, 11:05 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Strange thing yesterday. That handyman that was a bit too familiar with me when doing my ceilings phoned me. It was very random, he just chatted away asking me how I was etc.
​​​​​​​*looking very sideways at this*
I hope that will not happen again, Kaily. Seems very dodgy.
Who sent him, who is his employer, or is he in business on his own?

Old 12-15-2022, 11:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well yes I was very suspicious but he didn't ask me anything untoward at all. I was expecting something like are you going away for Christmas or alike.

The only thing he asked was had I finished my painting by numbers. Must be better than I thought...
Old 12-16-2022, 02:32 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Pledging for today and this weekend. Day 75. Best to all for a peaceful and serene weekend.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:17 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Well yes I was very suspicious but he didn't ask me anything untoward at all. I was expecting something like are you going away for Christmas or alike.

The only thing he asked was had I finished my painting by numbers. Must be better than I thought...
Hmmm, I’m sensing some Christmas romance 💘 vibes here. Is he single? Kind?

I mean, you ARE an excellent painter, Kaily, but REALLY???
Old 12-16-2022, 03:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

We got some heavy wet snow yesterday and a little more last night. Riley absolutely loves snow and runs all around. I have one video when he was in deeper snow and was "running" and looked like he was a dolphin jumping in and out of the water. I try to get him to come back in on snowy days and he just sits there looking at me wagging his tail then takes off running again.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:56 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Alpine, I'm grinning at that mental picture of Riley as a snow dolphin!

Don't you just love the purity of doggie emotions?! I'm trying to learn from my dogs: true love, real hunger, genuine anticipation of exercise, desperate desire for touch, complete devotion to rest, delight at play.

I admire the expression of these feelings in my animals and (now that I think about it!) in other people around me. I will try to embrace and express them more fully for myself! Watch out world! ToughChoices is in her feelings (but will try very hard not to lick any strangers' faces).
Old 12-16-2022, 03:59 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I always talk to Riley and always tell him he is my best puppy friend and he just tips his head and wags his tail.
TC, yeah, I will pass on the lick faces
Old 12-16-2022, 05:57 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Kaily, that's a good idea to play games with Billie. I will try doing that and see if she enjoys it. . Thanks for the idea!

Woke up cause my feet were hurting so badly, like they were on fire. . I see my doctor next week and am going to ask him to put me on some other medicine for the neuropathy since the Lyrica isn't helping any.

I can't wait til Saturday gets here!! Ck is taking me to Target to pick out frames for my new glasses. . We will order them and then wait for them to be done. I can't wait...
Old 12-16-2022, 06:28 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
Hmmm, I’m sensing some Christmas romance 💘 vibes here. Is he single? Kind?

I mean, you ARE an excellent painter, Kaily, but REALLY???
He is young enough to be my son. Definitely no romance.

Least make the game easy until Billie understands then you can make it more difficult as she learns. It won't take long dogs are very food motivated.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:40 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I am in for another sober weekend. I love your little poem.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and ignores all the alcohol ads and people getting drunk at parties. This will be my 3rd sober Christmas and it is getting easier. Fortunately, no one that is coming for Christmas at our house is a big drinker.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:56 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Our little snow monster when he was a puppy. Keep your eye on the ball.

[/url]
Old 12-16-2022, 10:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Riley is too darn cute!

Kaily, I just took five fruitables and laid them in five different places and told her to "find the treats". At first she just sat by me and looked at me but then walking around the apt she found them, one by one. . She seemed to like the game so will play it with her a couple times a day for fun. . Thanks for the good idea!

Playing another round of "find the treats"!

Old 12-16-2022, 04:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm ON., not literally like

. Everything is hard...Getting the mail, washing dishes...depression sucks. Sobriety is a simple thing...and perks along ok with daily recovery/support.
BUT a good way to see stuff...if washing all the dishes is hard- wash one dish. If a shower is too hard, wash my face...one thing, one minute by hour by day at a time.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:02 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Magsie

PJ, that’s a good thought of doing chores or tasks (or anything) into manageable pieces…..I found with the asthma I couldn’t do anything in a hurry or for long spells. It gets so frustrating that I have to stop after a few minutes to allow my lungs, my breathing to settle. But I’ve learnt to pace myself. Small tasks often soon complete a big task. Accepting it was the most difficult to overcome.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:20 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((PJ))). I'm sorry the depression is hard to deal with. I've done the same as you, when I can't get motivated to do a whole 'thing', I just do a little, and doing it in little bits makes it seem more bearable.

Was tired and bored so laid down to snuggle with Billie but then had to get up and pee, so just gave up on resting.

I want coffee but am not having any cause it'll just make me have to pee constantly and won't be able to get to sleep.

PJ, got any new pictures of Her Ladyship? . I always like seeing pictures of her.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:44 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

End of Day 398 - Good night from freezing Seattle.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:34 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Magsie

Goodnight calmself, keep warm.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:13 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

((((PhoenixJ, my friend))))
Old 12-16-2022, 10:02 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Now it's getting later but I'm not tired.

PJ, when I look at your picture of Roxy, I see a wise elder cause of her white muzzle. . She just looks like she could 'look deep' into another pair of eyes. . She looks calm and dignified. .

Old 12-16-2022, 10:51 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Riley is too darn cute!

Kaily, I just took five fruitables and laid them in five different places and told her to "find the treats". At first she just sat by me and looked at me but then walking around the apt she found them, one by one. . She seemed to like the game so will play it with her a couple times a day for fun. . Thanks for the good idea!

Playing another round of "find the treats"!
I'm pleased you are doing it, she will enjoy it. You can slowly make it more difficult, like under cushions, back of sofa or in a toy. So good to keep her mind and body active.

Riley is very cute!

Sorry you are feeling depressed PJ. I hope you are still walking a bit.

I never got given any wine yesterday. How strange, almost like they had been reading the thread. I got a pot plant, still stressed me as I don't have a nice or any pot holder for it . So ungrateful I sound. I'm not really.