Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 29 April - 02 May 2022

Notices

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 29 April - 02 May 2022

Old 04-27-2022, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

to the Weekenders

When it’s so bad only a drink will do. - Really?

We honestly told ourselves everything would be okay after that drink?

We think we’ve got this...we’ve got it in the bag.

Remember why you’re here?

Remember, not drink 1 but drink 10 even 20?

We kid ourselves that’s all our bodies need and we’ll be okay!

I remember many day 1’s and for me they got harder, the urge to drink got stronger, the wanting to quit got weaker.

How can you beat this beast?

Have you had the ‘ping’ yet? When you realise ‘Nope, Never again and meant it?

And more importantly ‘how do we get there and how do we stay there?

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 04-27-2022, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. Shotgun!
Old 04-27-2022, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun CBS.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I’m in! Looking forward to a clean, sober, and productive weekend!

Thanks for the great post, Mags!

- TC
Old 04-27-2022, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi TC, welcome to Weekenders
Old 04-27-2022, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on shotgun, CBS!🎊🪅🎉🎏🪄🎈🎁
Old 04-27-2022, 09:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I stopped the endless cycle by stopping drinking. Again, and again. What was WRONG with me? 🧐🤨☹️

Nothing. My brain is normal, it is ( our brains) amazingly adaptive to all kinds of stress.

My POC helped ease the pain of some awful things I’ve lived through and experienced. At first……..

Until it didn’t anymore.

It caused THE WORST physical AND mental pain.

Yes, you know, you know.

And through repetition of ingesting a poison that sent me less and less pleasure, was going to kill me emotionally and physically. The less pleasure, the more I drank, the less pleasure I had.

Being sober initially sucked. Why? Because the location in the brain that produces natural dopamine released by simple pleasures in life was temporarily broken. It was waiting to be fed the toxin that prompted that part of the pleasure system to produce the dopamine. It takes a while to heal that part. Some say 36 months for complete physical and emotional healing.

I am about 8 months in this time, and goodness, it was SO HARD to hear my screaming soul, crying out to be saved.

So glad I heard it. I was hurting it.

I was hurting so badly that going through the hell of physical and emotional withdrawal was worth the long term prize.

Some never make it…….but many of us do, so many.

Glad your here, everyone. Posters and lurkers too (especially the lurkers, because that soul is beginning to be heard by you….)

Thanks Mags, for the OP.

How I stay?

I don’t drink now. Now. And……yep! Now. Every minute, every hour, every day. Forever.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Free2bme I can relate to your words when I started on my sober journey.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mags

D
Old 04-27-2022, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

End of Day 165 - Ran a 10k in 67 minutes. Good night from Seattle!
Old 04-27-2022, 11:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Goodnight calmself. That’s some good running! Sleep well! Congratulations on 165!
Old 04-28-2022, 01:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags

Welcome TC!

Count me in for the weekend

Old 04-28-2022, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I recently had the displeasure of nearly jumping off the wagon after 5 1/2 years sober. Cleaning out what was left in my daughters room, who moved to another province, I unexpectedly came across a bottle. My first instinct was to hide it. Which I did. That was the mistake that fired up my A/V which started telling me I could have just a little taste. It actually bothered me for a couple of days until I got rid of the bottle from it's hiding place.

Today, I feel stronger for it, but also scared at how close I came and ashamed at my first instinct to hide it.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new chapter Mags

Dragon, your story reminds me I'm always just a few minutes away from a relapse, no matter how much sober time I have.
I'm glad you won that mind game against your AV, I want to stay behind you in our soberversaries

Count me in for another sober weekend! ☼
Old 04-28-2022, 05:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for a sober weekend!
Old 04-28-2022, 05:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags!

Wow dragon thats scary! Thanks for sharing.
Been having more bad days than good myself lately. Just want to get away. Of course thoughts of drinking pop up but thanks to this site I KNOW that is NOT the answer.
The efits try to pop up but I am too entrenched in sobriety to fall for that.
I can see how it can change very quickly though.
Good Work!

I need to add something. Not sure what it is right now.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow Mags, and Free--thanks for what you posted. I said this on the April thread-
I've had some arguments with the AV over the last day but I can't get past the fact that nothing good will occur if I drink. Nothing. I'll just hate myself tomorrow and have to start all over. I DO NOT WANT THAT!!!

But, these internal struggles are maddening. I really hope this gets better, I'm so tired of dealing with this.

So your words really hit home.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dragon, I think you’re right about initially hiding it. The av would spring to life with every excuse. You only thought it and didn’t act on it in the end. And it’s given you more acute awareness perhaps.

Samwitch it does get easier. I never thought it would when I was first sober and I’m sure if I didn’t come here to SR most days I wouldn’t have the resolve and sober muscles I gained here. I think I turned my drinking round too, from I can’t drink to ‘I don’t drink’.

Love to all Weekenders xxxx
Old 04-28-2022, 08:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mags! You are the best! Hoping all is well with your lovely family.
Dragon
I have my phone off the hook. I made the mistake of looking at a health insurance site and they have started abusively calling me off the hook even after I asked them not to and told them I was going to call the FBI, which I may look into. Every time I take it off the hook it rings. They must have it on auto dial or something. I hope if they get no response for an hour or so that they will leave us alone. My poor mom is trying to sleep and these telemarketers call so darn early and often. I've never had an abusive caller like this before and I'm not sure what to do. Hoping they get on to something else and leave us alone. I will never look at another insurance site, ever. These people selling it are clearly desperate and some are a little cray cray! Jeez!
Have a great day all. I need to do some shopping. I've been putting it off. My mom and I seem to keep passing some bug back and forth. It upsets your stomach, gives you a headache and makes you really tired. I'm going to have to get some caffeine in my system and just do some grocery shopping today. I wish I had an assistant. I used to have one where I worked a long time ago. She was awesome and I loved her. Helped me so much on these weird things I have trouble with while I ran the financial end of the law firm. Fair trade! Anyway, hope this thing mom and I are passing back and forth will run it's course eventually.
Love to all. 💗☮💟💝💖
Old 04-28-2022, 09:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN!
I had my "ping." I remember the moment very clearly. I have told the story here many times, so I won't again. The universe whispered in my ear "you really don't have to drink, ever again, and it will all be ok." Of course, there was a lot of work that came after that to make it a reality, but that moment was the first glimmer of hope I had had in a LONG time, and it really was the turning point. I haven't touched a drop since.

My little doggie is really sick. I took him to the vet yesterday because he has alarmingly sort of fainted a few times in the past few days after a very little bit of exercise. I suspected congestive heart failure, but the vet listened carefully to his heart, and didn't hear what he thought he'd hear, if that's what it is. He did a chest x-ray, which looked really bad. He thinks it could be tumors. Or it's possible that it's pneumonia. He's been really slowing down recently, and there are some symptoms that do line up with pneumonia, but I can tell the vet really thinks it's not pneumonia. He's not running a fever at all and so if it's pneumonia it's probably not bacterial and the antibiotics the vet prescribed won't do anything. We are also treating him with lasix to see if that helps his breathing (fast and labored if he moves around at all). But I'm feeling pretty pessimistic.