Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 29 April - 02 May 2022

Notices

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 29 April - 02 May 2022

Old 04-29-2022, 03:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Addiction is part of my being and I need to live alongside it and its foibles. I am fighting it everyday.
I'm now abstinent but definitely not sober.
I'm an addict getting hooked on anything that can be addictive : food, internet, video games, TV, salt & sugar, etc
Name anything addictive and there's a good chance I'm having trouble with it.
I accept that I'm wired like this and try to limit the damages for what I have left to live.
Alcohol and drugs are the exception, they were ruining my life and I had to get sober at 100% on these.
So far so good

Have a good day Weekenders ☼

Old 04-29-2022, 05:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sao, I didn't remember that Heart song.

MLD, I hope the doggy recovers quickly.

Aly, I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I clicked on a link to a website for quotes on h ins and began getting calls within seconds. They slowed down in a few weeks, but continued for months. I was recently talking to a friend who is an insurance rep and he said the same thing happened to him.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:26 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

This is my dog, Chauncey. He's a papillon. He's at least 13. He was a rescue, and the rescuer was not sure of his age when she got him. He seems about the same today, but it's only been a couple of days on the medications, so it's too soon to know if they will help. It's very hard to get him to take any sort of medicine. He is not fooled by any of the normal tricks, like pill pockets, and there's no way I'm risking my fingers to pry his mouth open to toss a pill down his throat. The thing that is working for now is to pulverize the pills with a mortar and pestle and mix them with a little bit of browned hamburger. That is irresistible to him. He's refusing all other food right now though. Hopefully that is only because the pills are upsetting his stomach (the vet said they might). I'm really hoping this does the trick, because if it doesn't, I'm feeling like there isn't much we can do.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
I'm now abstinent but definitely not sober.
I'm an addict getting hooked on anything that can be addictive : food, internet, video games, TV, salt & sugar, etc
Name anything addictive and there's a good chance I'm having trouble with it.
I accept that I'm wired like this and try to limit the damages for what I have left to live.
Alcohol and drugs are the exception, they were ruining my life and I had to get sober at 100% on these.
So far so good

Have a good day Weekenders ☼
Well said and so relatable, thank you

Glad you have found a way to get the medication into Chauncey, MLD. He is very cute.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Chauncey is a cutie.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aw Marty, Chauncey is gorgeous
Old 04-29-2022, 09:32 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good post Koala, I have the same inclinations, it comes and goes according to my state of mind.

Chauncey is a fine looking fellow!
Old 04-29-2022, 09:38 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Chauncy is just enchantingly beautiful! I sure hope she is feeling better! She looks like a princess. I hope it's a she/he. Lovely, none the less.
Thank you Mags and all who offerred suggestions. I filled up my blocked numbers in my phone. They called again this morning. Only a couple of times, no obscenities (sic?). I just let it ring through. When no one answers, I guess they move on. I wish they wouldn't calls so darn early, but much better than yesterday.

CityBoy, that is exactly what happened to me. As long as they don't call every 15 minutes and move on w/o editorial, hopefully they will just go away. I'll never look at those kind of sites again! Luckily, it seems to be resolving itself.
In for the weekend with all you wonderful people. Thanks for all the great posts. Have a great day.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Aly, Chauncey is a boy. But he is a spoiled little prince! He needs grooming badly. He usually isn't so scruffy! But my groomer (the only one he will tolerate) is a very very busy lady so she gets booked out far in advance. That's because she is awesome.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:28 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I sure hope he's feeling better and he is a very handsome little prince.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:36 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Nothing can make me drink anymore. If truly obnoxious Telemarketing types did, I woulda been hammered again long ago. But, my armored immunity extends even to those Call Cretins. Praise be to Odin & Wotan.

I got - and ignored - 3 such Calls yesterday. I let it ring a few times, and then decline the Call. In the [false] hope their Software will detect me manually ending the call after a few Rings. I don't think it pays for them to vet Call responses, and purge their Call Lists. So, they just keep trying from assorted, different Area Codes as a pathetic disguise. All this harassment is automated. If a Computer detects someone answered, the Call is handed off to a Human.

The nice Gent who sold me my last Truck mentioned returning all Calls. Cuz, Vehicle Salesman. He has to. When he raises a Human, they have no idea who he is. They never called him. Telemarketers hop on unused Lines, and dial out on them w/o the Line Owner knowing what's going on. They also use Servers based here for nefarious activity based in, say, Estonia. No Int'l Prosecution is possible. However, this whole Health Insurance bit sounds uber-obnoxious. Have a Whistle handy. Answer the Call. Blow the Whistle in their Ear. Have some fun!

The wry Nick Lowe of Rockpile penned this Song that I sang in my Band 'back in the Day'.

I hope your beloved Pooch gets better, MLD. It's insanely windy here today, so MesaPup is in seclusion...

'Switchboard Susan' ~ Nick Lowe

Old 04-29-2022, 10:40 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

MesaMan, I love the whistle! Next time I go to the store, or I can order from my Pepper Spray Store, a whistle and blast their ears out if they call. It's starting to die down. They seem to have an unlimited source of phones and lines. I've filled up my blocked number box on my personal phone.
Live and learn.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Chauncey is a real cutie patootie.

Thinking about the title of this weeks thread and thinking no there is nothing so bad that it calls for a drink. Nothing!!!! I am so happy with my sober life. You couldn't pay me enough to drink.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:27 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Awww look at the sweet pups...Hugs for Chauncey and MesaPup!

I keep my ringer volume off and if I see a "scam likely" call coming in, I deny it right away...I don't even answer calls when I recognize the number, so those telemarketing jerks can just get a life!
Old 04-29-2022, 03:26 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Vietnamese take-away earlier, reasonably healthy. Three day weekend here as well as being just after payday for many, an irresistible combination for the drinker. I can still see the attraction but it has no magnetic pull on me any more. I'm done.

This is fascinating, I posted a Heart song earlier in the thread and this is guitarist Nancy Wilson explaining how she plays the intro to one of their better known songs. She really is talented. Incidentally i'm not wild about the actual song (it's melodramatic) but the intro is amazing.

Old 04-29-2022, 03:46 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Going into the weekend feeling pretty good.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:52 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

MLD, I hope Chauncey feels better soon

sao, I had the AV playing up this afternoon simply because it is payday (last working day of every month for me). In the past this would have been followed by a three day drinking binge as it's a long holiday weekend. Thankfully I'm (slowly but surely) learning that I don't have to drink at all to enjoy a long weekend.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:09 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hope Chauncey gets better.

I am in the process of being oriented as a foster for a humane society. Excited, hoping it works out.

Just signing up for a sober weekend even though I am struggling emotionally right now.

Been thinking I wish I could afford a therapist. Don't think I can.

Oh well. I'm doing the best I can with life.

My answer to the thread question- exercise and structure. That gets.me through.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:17 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

After stints in Jojo Gunne, Spirit, and Firefall, Mark Andes was the Bassist-for-Hire in Heart for Years. Not much in the way of Salary, but it kept him working. He stopped by to see my Band at a Honkee Tonk in Boulder CO because he knew the Co-Founder. For reasons you can see, he was having trouble meeting Women. The few tips I gave him must have worked, because the Gals were flocking around him after that. Pops Keith Andes was a Hollywood Actor, so I guess those Genes didn't hurt Mark any.

Here's Spirit with a load of Extras on Stage. Many thanks, Mags. And, Sao...

'I Got A Line On You' ~ Spirit ~ Live

Old 04-29-2022, 04:20 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
This is fascinating, I posted a Heart song earlier in the thread and this is guitarist Nancy Wilson explaining how she plays the intro to one of their better known songs. She really is talented. Incidentally i'm not wild about the actual song (it's melodramatic) but the intro is amazing.
You talk about a song I know very well.
I used to play that song when I was performing on the street in Old Montreal back in 1977...when I could find a woman to sing it.
This is a very difficult song vocally and I've seen very few women who could perform this song effectively and manage to sing all the high notes.
The guitar intro for "Crazy on You" is not very hard to play but a bit tricky on some chords since it was done by "finger picking" on the original recording. Nancy Wilson plays it with a pick these days (and in this video)
It makes it a lot easier to play but yields a result with less finesse.

Thanks for the good memories Sao!

[Edit] Wow MesaMan, Mark Andes was the bassist for Spirit, a legendary group!
"Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" is in my Top 25 Albums of all time!!!
You know him personally?