Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 29 April - 02 May 2022

Notices

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 29 April - 02 May 2022

Old 05-04-2022, 12:57 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Forwards, pleased things are coming together for your new home.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:53 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hugs PJ.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:37 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Suze, I understand. Making new friends isn't easy. I hope you may reconnect with the people you were getting to know before Covid.

Mags, thanks. Isolation is very stressful but alcohol is a false friend.

PJ, I'm sorry you are struggling. Thinking of you.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:24 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Leshar, you are absolutely right that alcohol is a false friend. I remember when I first quit... I was almost in mourning for a while. It really felt like I had lost a friend! And I was also afraid of losing my actual friends, since pretty much all of them drank with me.That's what we did, for the most part -- we hung out and drank together. It didn't take long for the fog to clear and for me to realize two things: Alcohol was no friend to me at all, and my REAL friends liked me better when I was sober. I did lose a few "friends," really only because we had nothing in common other than drinking, but I have zero regrets that those folks are out of my life. My circle is small. And that's ok with me. I've learned to rely on myself much more than I ever thought possible. I used to be so scared of being alone, but over time, I have learned to be really OK with it. So having a few trusted friends is now the icing on the cake. But feeling completely isolated has to be really painful, so I hope you can find some connections so that you don't feel that anymore.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:27 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I actually love making new friends. I moved here only knowing Nick, but there are lots of lovely people in my street. And it is very busy. The old neighbours that I was close with are not interested in being friends with me: they moved, and I am a lot older etc. It's ok.... onward.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:05 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

PJ, sending love and prayers. 💗
Have a wonderful day all. I have to take my mom to the doctors today to get her booster covid shot. If we feel up to it I was going to take her to lunch for her birthday, even though after how she's treated me lately, I'm not really in the mood to do much for her.
Suze, I know what you mean. Esp as we get older, we were talking about this on another thread, it seems like it's harder to make friends and many of us become more solitary. Sending love to you. You deserve to be happy.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:28 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending positive vibes your way PhoenixJ!
Old 05-04-2022, 01:05 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

sending big hugs to you PJ i know how it is when the depression gets that bad. i hope your doctor can help you.

the sorting and packing is going pretty well. i've been wrapping my fragile things in bubble wrap all morning. now i'm taking a break having a cup of coffee.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:44 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:58 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

a very early thursday morning
Old 05-04-2022, 10:07 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ay-2022-a.html (Flow In, Flow Out - Weekenders 06 - 09 May 2022)