Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 17-20 December 2021

Notices

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 17-20 December 2021

Old 12-18-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Mags, I am so sorry that your asthma is kicking up. How is the humidity in your house. Dry air tends to aggravate my asthma; if you are the same and the air is your home is too dry (as it usually becomes in the Winter), maybe try keeping a pot of water simmering on the stove to quickly humidify the air. Even keeping a pot or two of water around the house (behind chairs) to evaporate can bring up the humidity.

Willow, good job making it through the holiday party.

(((CBS))); this is such a hard time.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:44 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Mags, prayers for you for feel better. This weather is so crazy, I hope you feel better soon, my dear one.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:20 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Magsie

CBS, my heart goes out to you. It must be so hard to leave your mom. I’m glad you have your hubby with you for support.

calmself, enjoy your vacation. There’s certainly a battle goes on in our heads when we listen more to the av, I found. I decided that I didn’t drink anymore and the big problem was how could I stay stopped.

Thanks Leigh, It’s been foggy here for a few days and I’m thinking that might have started it, I had a scarf over my face to protect from breathing it in. I don’t think our house is humid but I do have a humidifier in the living room. Not in the bedroom though.

Thanks Aly. I’m getting there. hope things are going well for you and your mom.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:07 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Asthma is so variable; for some (like me), dryness triggers it; for others, humidity does do. Hope you feel much better soon, dear one.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:32 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

CBS I really feel for you It’s so hard when we love someone dearly and they’re unwell and we feel helpless and unable to help them get well. It must be so hard to leave your Mom. Prayers for your Mom ❤️

Cityboy it was like I was having a bit of a mind body disconnect. My body was there and I was chatting, and eating and drinking (n/a drinks) but I wasn’t really fully engaged. Initially I was paying attention, but as the drinks flowed and people changed, and started talking more sh** I couldn’t really be bothered listening to them waffling and my mind wandered off. I was glad to go home

(((Mags))) I hope your asthma settles soon.

It’s so good to wake up Sunday morning without a hangover
Old 12-18-2021, 03:01 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Magsie

Leigh, yes, there can be many different triggers for each of us, cold weather affects my asthma, or too humid or hot. Several other things too.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:14 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I remember Y2K Cityboy, I think it was hospital equipment that caused the most concern but nothing happened.

CBS, best wishes to your mum, I hope you will still be allowed to see her if this Omicron keeps surging.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:36 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I remember Y2K Cityboy, I think it was hospital equipment that caused the most concern but nothing happened.
nothing happened because the code in critical systems was fixed beforehand.

wait til you hear about the Year 2038 bug - you're going to love that one (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem)

Old 12-18-2021, 04:46 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I am thinking they have plenty of time to fix that bug....just saying. ❤️
Old 12-18-2021, 04:58 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

^^^
Old 12-18-2021, 05:29 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hadn't heard of the 2038 problem before. I don't know if I'll still be kickin' around then or not. Maybe. That's interesting. Well, like Suze says, they've got sixteen years to come up with a fix. My son in law works in R & D at Apple and I'll have to get his take on it. If anyone would know, he would.

Neighbor kid gets paid tonight when he comes over at 10 to take Billie out. He missed Monday night but will get $20 for this week. His dad told me he really likes having a way to earn money. I told him last night how much he was helping me by taking her out to go potty. I can do it if I have to, but it really hurts my back and my feet to walk and stand for more than a few minutes and it saves me a lot of pain when he does that for me.

I remember all the hype around the end of 1999 and how everything would stop. I had taken my girls downtown for the celebration and I heard so many people saying that they were surprised that everything went on like nothing had happened.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:20 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Going into the city tomorrow for my birthday brunch at one of my favorite restaurants that is decorated beautifully for Christmas. I always enjoy seeing them.

Saying “out loud” here that I will not drink alcohol in any way shape or form. I don’t think I will be tempted at all but my husband has already declared that he will not have any alcohol (he’s a normie), so he already thinking that the “sneaky salesman” might be sitting on my shoulder telling me it’s okay.

I have zero desire to drink, but am using this forum and this statement out loud as another tool, I’d be so embarrassed to come back and say I gave in to it. Hey….Whatever works, right?

Thanks and hope everyone has enjoyed the weekend thus far!

LHW

Old 12-18-2021, 06:31 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Happy Birthday LHW!

CBS, I'm glad for your one year soberversary, but sad for all your concerns about your mom.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:07 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Happy bday, LHW!
Old 12-18-2021, 07:47 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Have a great birthday lunch LHW
It’s good to come here and tell on the AV before it gets a chance to trip us up!
Keeping it out in the open here helps keep us honest
Old 12-18-2021, 10:12 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Yesterday my sister came to visit my Dad, I went there too. She only comes twice a year despite living in London. She is South we are North. I do think she should visit him more and not leave it all up to me.

It was ok, Dad made a tea, stale crackers with fish paste on, stale bread and butter and some soggy fish bites. A delectable festive feast. Even he said it wasn't very nice.

I just wish sometimes he would buy something because it looks nice not because it is reduced. It feels so cold.

Last night I couldn't stop thinking about bad stuff. I tried to ask my Dad about my Mum but never get much more than one word answers. I wish I had known her and would love to know what she was like. Even a photo would be nice.

I need a very long country walk today.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:47 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

End of day 35. I realize I can enjoy my vacation without beer. Good start to my vacation today with few useful stuff done and a long walk in the evening. Stay strong, folks! And congrats to everyone who is staying away especially during the holidays. Cheers!
Old 12-18-2021, 11:43 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on day 35 calmself.

Kaily, it’s sad your dad won’t talk about your mum. Does your sister know anything more? A long walk sounds a good idea. Have the football club taken over the golf club yet, or can you still walk it? Take care on your walk.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:49 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

((((Kaily))))) A long walk with Alfie and Daisy ❤️

35 days is awesome Calmself

I’m starting to think that maybe I can get through Christmas sober. I’m going to be hanging out here with you guys next weekend that’s for sure!
Old 12-19-2021, 12:15 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, you can do it!