Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 17-20 December 2021

Notices

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 17-20 December 2021

Old 12-16-2021, 08:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mags!
Old 12-16-2021, 08:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's a real shame about your Christmas MLD51 but a very responsible decision. I will have discussions with my relatives about what to do (or not) in the next couple of days.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm in for the weekend but it's not starting out very well. I don't feel good today. I have a doctor's appt and will ask him to look at my swollen feet. I know I have neuropathy but don't know why my feet are so swollen.

If I didn't have this appt, I'd just go back to bed for a while. All I want to do is sleep.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

PJ, sorry to read that you are having problems getting the treatment you want.

MLD, sorry to read that your Christmas plans aren't working out as planned.

Cityboy, if the tests for Covid you mention are lateral flow tests then they are about 70% to 95% accurate, depending on which report you read. That's quite a variation in reliability between reports.

Free, the website I use for tracking planes is flightradar24.com. There's an app version for phones but I prefer the desktop version at https://www.flightradar24.com. You click on the plane you want to get information about and it will tell you where it is flying from and to, its altitude and speed as well as other information. On the desktop version you can also see its flight path from take off.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I知 definitely in. My birthday is this weekend and I知 feeling very vulnerable. Will be staying close even if I just read.

MLD - Sorry about your Christmas plans but it sounds like you致e made the right decision given the circumstances.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Lovehatewhine, I hope you have a nice birthday.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

CityBoy, we did think about the home test kits. But in the end, my mom really didn't feel safe even with the testing. Her husband really needs this surgery as soon as possible and they just don't want to take any chances.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags
I知 in for another sober weekend. I値l need my tools this weekend for the work Christmas party, and next weekend for Christmas itself. I should be ok this weekend as I知 designated driver, but Christmas at home next weekend will be challenging.

At 7 months sober now and just starting to feel my crazy roller coaster emotions starting to level out (the anxiety and depression have lessened somewhat thank goodness!) I don稚 want to go and blow it over the festive season.
The AV has been poking me relentlessly, but I知 continuing to ignore the slimy sucker.
I値l be sticking close to SR.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mags! Love your sober poem.

Happy b-day, LoveHateWine.
Well done, Willow.

MLD, sorry about the interruption in your Christmas plans; with the planned surgery, it sounds like a wise plan, though.

In for another Sober Weekend.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy Birthday LoveHateWine!

Living and working in London is stressful right now as you know that ten days of omicron isolation are coming for you but you do not know the exact calendar date of their arrival. I just hope I can make it to the New Year but I'm getting doubtful. 88 thousand cases today. Really glad I don't drink and am not therefore partying.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in for another sober weekend!

Sao, these Shonen Knife's "Space Christmas" video was a blast!!

Here's to stay in the Season's mood...♪♫♪

Old 12-16-2021, 04:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My doctor told me to taper off gabapentin since it doesn't seem to be helping my neuropathy. My feet are still numb and tingling and painful. He looked at my feet and said that gabapentin can cause swelling of the extremities, and I seem to be one of the people who get swelling. He gave me a shot of antibiotics, and three scrips - for a diuretic, a potassium pill, and antibiotics.

And on top of the neuropathy and the swollen feet, I have a UTI. That's probably why I've not been feeling well lately.

Tomorrow after work, and after Billie and the cats are taken care of, bro is going to take me to walmart to get some groceries. He is so good to me. God bless my brother.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

((((Least)))
Old 12-16-2021, 07:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

(((Least))) hugs to you. I hope you’re feeling better soon ❤️

Thanks Leigh
Old 12-16-2021, 08:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you all. I get such a feeling of camaraderie here. I may never meet you in real life, but we are friends nonetheless.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Approaching end of Day 33! One more day to go before the 17 day break - whew would be a relief. Having said that, I will have to use this vacation to prep for two big interviews in Jan. Hoping I will nail at least one of these.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:54 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My best, and most used, tool in my sobriety toolbox is gratitude. Practicing gratitude every day keeps me on an even keel. It reminds me of my priorities.

Another, no less important tool in my toolbox is my dog and cats. Their well being is a high priority in my life and staying sober enables me to care for them as they need and deserve. When I see their happy faces, it fills me with joy.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Magsie

LoveHateWine Happy Birthday

Old 12-16-2021, 10:55 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

Marty, sorry visits haven’t gone as planned. I hope you can get a video call in over the festivities.

Willow. The av may be with you but he’ll only have a voice if you give him one. You know how better it is without booze, less stress and entireties, the av will only amplify these. Ignore it, strengthen your ‘ I’m a non drinker” policy in your head and enjoy your Christmas sober and present.

Least, some prescribed meds can have adverse effects on us. Pleased you’re tapering off them. Hope the doc can give you something more effective for you. Hope the antibiotic shot helps with the uti.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

calmself congratulations on 33 days! It’s great you have a break coming up to prepare for your interviews. Great you have two jobs to choose from. Nighty night.