Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 17-20 December 2021

Notices

Sober tools for the festivities.Weekenders 17-20 December 2021

Old 12-16-2021, 11:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many Happy Returns LHW
That's a lot of cases Sao - still hope you miss out on this particular lottery.
D
Old 12-16-2021, 11:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, are they expecting a full lockdown in your area?
I see Wales have closed the nightclubs after Boxing Day. Doesn’t make sense, the horse will have bolted by then.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday LoveHateWine.

Sorry to read you have to change your plans MLD. A very wise decision though and you can look forward to the Birthday party next year.

Well done Willow, 7 months is great, a drink isn't worth giving that up. My AV was relentless for a very long time and still lets me know it is alive now and again. Less often but huge when it does strike. Never give up fighting it. I try and accept that it is part of my life and there is not much I can do about it.

Sao fingers crossed you don't get it at all. Just don't go clubbing

Least so sorry you are in the wars. You really have had a rough few months. Hopefully things will take a turn for the better very soon.

Happy Friday everyone.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:57 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

(((least))), I hope the pain and swelling ease for you soon
Old 12-17-2021, 12:58 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday LoveHateWhine
Old 12-17-2021, 05:08 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I am in for another sober weekend.

I have one more day with my mom here in Florida. We still don't have a diagnosis. Most likely cancer but don't know where. Still waiting on her getting a PET scan that cannot be done where she is. She has to be discharged to another rehab facility that is affiliated with her retirement community and then she can hopefully get the scan. We have been visiting her everyday day and sometimes twice. I am concerned about leaving tomorrow because my siblings that are down here are not as reliable about visiting and her partner is 90 and get there by himself. I am going to have to be assertive to the point of being rude with my siblings that they need to coordinate and see her every day once I leave. She has dementia and needs an advocate there. I love my sibs but they are just not proactive about this sort of thing.

Today is my
one year sober date but it is hard to celebrate right now with my mother's illness. I am also overwhelmed because we are going to have to come back to Florida to clean out her house as she will not be able to return home. Her partner is going to be moved to assisted living and my mom will go to a rehab facility and then maybe skilled nursing with hospice care.
I am grateful to be one year sober. But things are really tough between my mom and PAWS. The past few days I have wanted to drink more than any other time in my sobriety. I am
around my sibs and in a town where I used to party a lot. Add in the stress and worry about my mother and the AV has been roaring. But I have not come close to picking up. But every time we pass a bar or I see alcohol I long for it. I will continue to put one foot in front of the other.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:20 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Sounds like a difficult situation CBS. I've living it as well. Much better to be sober though.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:15 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

That's a lot of your plate, CBS. I can understand wanting to drink to get some relief from all of that. Congratulations on your one year, even if you don't feel like celebrating right now, it's a fantastic accomplishment, and we celebrate you! Can you get yourself a piece of cake or something?
Old 12-17-2021, 06:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

And Happy Birthday, LoveHateWhine!

Old 12-17-2021, 07:50 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Least You are in my thoughts and prayer.
Congrats to all our weekenders celebrating anniversaries today! How awesome to have several on the same day!
Old 12-17-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

CBS, you are dealing with so much; my heart goes out to you. Caring for an aging parent takes all we have. Lean on us; many of us have been where you are.

Congratulations on your sober date.

Sao; stay safe. Omicron was found here (both in diagnosis and in tested wastewater) about 10 days and, already, our daily cases have more than doubled.

Stay save, EVERYONE.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Actually, LoveWhineHate, this is your actual bday? Well, Happy bday!
Old 12-17-2021, 08:55 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I actually left work at 3pm today, did some shopping and now I'm home, I might not come out until April

Thanks Canadian Koala - Shonen Knife were Kirk Cobain's favourites. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but I like them.

Congratulations on a year sober CBS! I'm sorry you are having a tough time of things right now but not drinking through them is DEFINITELY the right thing.

Congratulations on you 7 months too Willow.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:19 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Magsie

CBS, Sorry for everything you’re going through with your mom and her home The av always likes to rear it’s head when things are tough. Hang in there, you’ll get through better sober. Congratulations on a year sober too.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in for this sober weekend.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:56 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
Thanks Mags. I am in for another sober weekend.

I have one more day with my mom here in Florida. We still don't have a diagnosis. Most likely cancer but don't know where. Still waiting on her getting a PET scan that cannot be done where she is. She has to be discharged to another rehab facility that is affiliated with her retirement community and then she can hopefully get the scan. We have been visiting her everyday day and sometimes twice. I am concerned about leaving tomorrow because my siblings that are down here are not as reliable about visiting and her partner is 90 and get there by himself. I am going to have to be assertive to the point of being rude with my siblings that they need to coordinate and see her every day once I leave. She has dementia and needs an advocate there. I love my sibs but they are just not proactive about this sort of thing.

Today is my
one year sober date but it is hard to celebrate right now with my mother's illness. I am also overwhelmed because we are going to have to come back to Florida to clean out her house as she will not be able to return home. Her partner is going to be moved to assisted living and my mom will go to a rehab facility and then maybe skilled nursing with hospice care.
I am grateful to be one year sober. But things are really tough between my mom and PAWS. The past few days I have wanted to drink more than any other time in my sobriety. I am
around my sibs and in a town where I used to party a lot. Add in the stress and worry about my mother and the AV has been roaring. But I have not come close to picking up. But every time we pass a bar or I see alcohol I long for it. I will continue to put one foot in front of the other.
congrats on your one year CBS.

My siblings basically look after my folks. They drive I don’t and my folks are a couple of hours away.
I had great trouble entrusting the job to them when my folks moved…but they picked up the ball pretty well.

I hope it will be the same for you

D
Old 12-17-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Saou, are they expecting a full lockdown in your area?
:
I think maybe half or more of the partying demographic have effectively locked themselves down. I am not one of that demographic so Kaily's advice about not going clubbing will definitely be heeded. Even my youngest daughter (who is 27) is not going out. She was so reasonable about it on the phone I was slightly choked up about it.

The other half seem to be partying like it's 1999 which is a shame 'cos Prince did it better.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:11 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, it’s good most are being sensible about it. I love that prince song, very appropriate.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:20 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

Mags and Kaily, I will take your advice and try to ignore the AV over Christmas, I don’t think it’s going away. Kaily I think that like you, the AV still has a loud voice. Even when I’m was sober for about 18 months the first time around, it was a relentless beast. I have to learn to live with it, and not give it air space. Ignore ignore ignore….

CBS well done on a year! Even though you don’t feel like celebrating in the circumstances with your Mom, we acknowledge what a fantastic achievement 1 year sober is. Sending you a big cyber hug of support, and prayers for your Mom ❤️

Stay safe Sao.

happy birthday LHW
Old 12-17-2021, 06:48 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

That song reminds me of all the Y2K paranoia. Don't know if it was such a big deal elsewhere. Many here were petrified that there would be a catastrophic failure of all electronics at the stroke of midnight on December 31, 1999. Many were stockpiling like six months worth of nonperishable food and whatever.