Notices

Sober Independence Weekenders 02 - 05July 2021

Old 07-01-2021, 07:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
I love this off the cuff comment Bim. Amen to that, happy childhoods to ye all

And the girl was in florida coincidentally :
https://aa-edinburgh.org.uk/pdf/bigb...rly_all_14.pdf

Her story almost exactly parallels mine, parents divorce when I was seven, no other family around, scared, lonely kid. Started drinking at age 11, got into a couple early serious relationships (including rich guy with planes and cars and houses and money and unfortunately other not so healthy pastimes) that blew up in the same way(s) - hit 32 before I started to get into serious Recovery.

As a matter of fact (I just re-read the story) I get goosebumps when I read it, because it is so closely parallel to my story in so many ways right down to the blaming my mother thing that I had to let go in order to really get well. I suspect many women have had similar experiences.

The solution to the resentment and self-pity thing? I had never heard that before and dang if it doesn't work!!

Hi, Vman!!
Old 07-01-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags, for the new thread and great OpeningPost.

Thanks, all, for the subsequent posts and, Vman, for the link.

I have found Recovery to be very liberating; removing alcohol from the equation of my life is among the very best happenings in my life.

Thank you SR; thank you, AA; thank to everyone on Weekenders and other threads for fueling the Recovery process in my life.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Kaily, I find you to be such a lovely person; I hope that you can see yourself the way we do.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I am IN!
In the past month I have discovered:
My oldest son is struggling with alcohol
Mrs. Nons friend's husband has relapsed (after a couple of years. Friend found out when she got a call from the police station.)
I have a friend who has admitted he has a problem and wants to stop, but is struggling to stay stopped for more than a day.
I have another friend who has admitted its a problem, but he still thinks he can fix it by drinking less.

My alcohol independence was hard won. Its good to remember and not take it for granted. Forever grateful to the fine folks here who helped get me there.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Nons, I totally agree. We worked hard to get our sobriety and I won’t take it for granted. Sorry some of your friends are struggling.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
In the past 4th of July weekend for me was Fireworks, BBQ and BOOZE lots of booze. But not this year it's just going to be fireworks and BBQ..I'm in for the weekend.
Same here. I don't know how we didn't blow someone up with all the booze and fireworks. There will be booze here because my son lives with me and he has a couple friends coming over for the weekend. I won't drink though and will need to check in here regularly.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Mr

Great to see loads of people connected to the weekender and the posts flying by... Thanks for all your efforts Mags !

Nons I hope your son gets help and reaches out... and all your other acquaintances too evidently.

I am listening to this at the moment.
I have a vague memory of it being posted here before maybe i'm wrong, anyways its pretty darn good imo :
https://youtu.be/lAwYodrBr2Q

Old 07-01-2021, 09:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for another sober weekend!

Welcome to Weekenders countrystix!

Welcome back Phil!

Great to see you VMan! Thanks for the link, I have not had a chance to read it yet but I will when I get home.

Thanks for a great opening post Mags. Getting sober brings so many freedoms that we barely knew we had lost - freedom to post on social media without saying something dumb or offensive, freedom to drive whenever you want, freedom to answer the phone or to cook, the list is endless. It robbed me of so much, so often I hardly notice how proscribed my life had become through swilling alcohol all the time.

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

​​​​​​​
Attached Images
Old 07-01-2021, 09:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your son, Nonsensical. I am in the same boat; it is incredibly hard and painful to watch our disease manifest itself in our children. Prayers for your son.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mags!
I'm in!
Old 07-01-2021, 09:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome, its great to be back and have hope for the future again. Ive had many sober weekends in the past few years, its amazing to waken up sober and be free to do what you want.
Whats also amazing how quickly you forget how good those times are when you slip into the drink again on to the hamster wheel of hell. I will never go back to it now. Even if I have to get a tattoo on me to remind me how wonderful sober mornings and weekends really are!
Old 07-01-2021, 09:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

AND, Early Riser Bim beat me to it once again. When I read this fabuloso Thread early this Morning, that Bumper Sticker saying I love popped into my Head to post, as well:

~ It's Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood ~

As seen Years ago on the Car of some Earth Muffin around Boulder Colorado. I relayed that optimistic message back then to a Family Member in a late night Kitchen Table chat, and I hope it stuck. Between flailing to rewrite my Past, or remake my Future, I opt for the latter. A great Opener, Mags, and one stellar Post, Kaily. It is my resolute practice these Days to simply hang back, and observe the grip this liquid Ethanol stuff - sold on about every Street Corner, it seems - has on many of us. Buy a Pint. Become someone else. For a while. What an astounding Marketing Illusion, eh? See any old Magazine Advert on Liquor to either laugh or cry about the degree of deception that prevailed as being acceptable. Still does. Meanwhile, while in the grips of the stuff, the clear Perception you need to see it for what it is happens to be - wait for it - severely clouded by the Product proper.

And, speaking of *clouded*, the Formation below reminded me of either Japanese Sci Fi Monster 'Mothra', or The Loch Ness Monster going for a swim. You decide. - -

A Peter Gabriel Song about rooting around into just what we are...

'Digging In The Dirt' ~ Peter Gabriel

Old 07-01-2021, 10:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm IN for another sober weekend!

I'm just back from a business trip up country which went well. The talk in the car on the way back though was about a colleague who had succumbed to drink. He was a straight-laced, hard working, quiet, likeable, conscientious type who somehow ended up in prison after his third DUI. He lost his job, his wife, his family and attempted suicide. Poor man. Everyone is shocked and it's yet another warning of where this horrible substance can take us. I hope he gets the help he deserves.

Anyway, in more cheerful news, the sun is shining here, I have Kerelan Lamb Curry ready for supper and a quiet weekend of summer relaxation ahead. Sober life really is pretty good!

Warm wishes to all, Forwards.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

OK I'm in! Thanks Mags, and everyone's honest reflections on how alcohol has been interrelated with so many aspects of your lives and living. I learn so much every time I come in here.

Missed you all last weekend - I was in one of the insane, record-breaking heat waves that hit the NW U.S., power out and everything. At one point a neighbor said, "A cold gin and tonic would be good right now," and I immediately thought, no, it really wouldn't. Then later I realized with surprise that I had immediately thought, no it really wouldn't! That would not have been me 6 months ago. Happy weekend all.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I was just thinking how much I enjoy normal sleep since sobering up ~ versus passing out every night....looking forward to a peaceful, drama-free weekend

Thanks Mags and friends
Old 07-01-2021, 07:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm in too. I want another sober weekend. I love waking up feeling good and not hating myself. I love the freedom sobriety gives me to enjoy my life and not just endure it.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I’m in!

I just posted this on the June class site so sorry for any duplication, but I really need good vibes.

I’m out here in Arizona on vacation and have suffered some sort of serious medical event. I have lost most of my hearing. I wrote about having clogged ears last week and got antibiotics and steroids last

Friday before flying. No issues until the past two days. I can’t hear out of my right ear at all and very limited hearing in my left ear.

My doctor back home has arranged for me to see a doctor out here in the morning. To say I am terrified is putting it mildly.

I am not a religious person, I’m agnostic, but whatever you believe, I’m here to ask you to pray, think good thoughts for me, whatever you would normally do to send positive vibes my way. I need it. Thank goodness my SO is here with me. He’s trying as best he can to keep me calm. It’s hard.

I am scared and trying to stay off of “Dr. Google”.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-01-2021, 08:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((LHW))) You have my fervent prayers and positive thoughts that this will resolve itself with time and treatment.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

((LHW)) sending positive vibes your way
Old 07-01-2021, 08:41 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

LHW, sending prayers and positive vibes & hopes for some peace while you wait to see a doctor. Hope a good solution will be found!