Notices

Sober Independence Weekenders 02 - 05July 2021

Old 07-03-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Midnight, I use a Chromebook and absolutely love it. I have multiple windows open and it is always fast and efficient. I'm sure there is lots of stuff it doesn't do but for my needs it is perfect. I would never go back to a windows laptop.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:42 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rico.

LHW, so,glad that your doctor could be of help.

Willow, teenagers are capable of pushing the sanest among us to the edge and over. Chocolate was my go to - whatever works.

Kaily, hope the bad weather keeps your horrible, intolerable neighbors cooped up inside. The cat cartoon is hysterical; thanks.

! Mags, Sao, Bim,Captain.

Enjoy the match, UKers.

Have a nice day, all.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:03 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Kaily, sending prayers re your neighbors. We've had a few really bad ones and thankfully, one got himself in trouble and got arrested for something heinous and can't show his face these parts. We've had some awful ones this past year, and thank God, they moved too. I hope whomever moves into the one being put up for sale attracts at least pleasant people who do what they're supposed to around here. Having bad neighbors really sucks and I'm sending prayers, I hope they help, for your horrible situation with them.
Thinking good thoughts and sending good vibes to you. Love and peace. ☮🧡💛💚💙💜💗
Old 07-03-2021, 11:07 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
saoutchik

LOL! I am trying to limit my snack intake Kaily because - fingers crossed - we might have another 8 days to go. That said I have a morello cherry and almond tart on standby duty.

MidnightBlue - the country is going at bit mad at us just reaching the Quarter Finals - we are starved of sporting success here, at least as far as international football goes.

If I were you MidnightBlue I would do a bit of research because each of us tend to want slightly different things from their laptops so what is a good fit for them might not suit you. Trust your own judgement, it will be the best guide.

Good luck England.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:12 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Fingers crossed, Aly, that your new neighbors are good ones.

Good luck, with the computer search, MB; good to see you; you
Old 07-03-2021, 11:21 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you for suggestions, guys.

Sao - You are right, of course. But when I start researching, I usually drive myself crazy with sweating every detail. And now my brain refuses to do heavy duty work.

Have fun watching soccer)

Old 07-03-2021, 11:23 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders!

It's Saturday evening and it's just under an hour away from the England v Ukraine match. I'm a little nervous... I was going to phone up and get a takeaway curry delivered in time for the football but ended up going to pick one up from the shop as everyone else seems to have had the same idea about getting a delivery later tonight and most delivery slost were already booked. I had to walk past a couple of my local pubs to get to the takeaway and needless to say the beer gardens were already quite full despite the fact we keep having occasional showers. I must admit I miss the sense of occasion there is being in a crowd at times like this but I'm certainly not missing the drinking and the hangovers that would inevitably follow. The meal was lovely and I'm now feeling quite full. I've still got half the meal left and have put what's left into containers to have for lunch tomorrow.

Thankfully my sneezing has stopped, which is a surprise as the pollen count has been high all day.

Rixo, I find the second weekend was usually harder than the first weekend. However, as Kaily posted, don't drink and it will get easier.

Willow, I hope when you wake in the morning the AV has more or less eased up and gone away.

LHW, I hope your ear problems are resolved soon.

Sao, take some deep breaths as the kick off time gets closer!

MidnightBlue, I hope you find a laptop which meets what you are looking for. I just stick to a HP laptop. The one I have isn't the best but it's good enough for what I use a laptop for, which is for the internet and listening to music and watching the sports channels. I never bother with things like playing games though I don't think my laptop would do things like that very well.

Take care all.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:29 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Robbie, take out curry for the game sounds delicious! Sorry you couldn’t get it; maybe tomorrow. We have two very good Thai restaurants nearby. How hot (spicy) do you like your curry?
Old 07-03-2021, 11:36 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thank you, lovely Mags!
Old 07-03-2021, 11:47 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Robbie, take out curry for the game sounds delicious! Sorry you couldn’t get it; maybe tomorrow. We have two very good Thai restaurants nearby. How hot (spicy) do you like your curry?
I did get the curry but had to pick it up as the delivery slots were full for the time I was after. I tend to go for fairly spicy curries. The one I got today was a Chicken Madras which is of southern Indian origin. Very nice it was too.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:00 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Soberleigh, it's funny but a little annoying. There is a small locally owned Thai joint close to us that is good. Mild, medium, spicy, and Thai spicy. I go with level 3 - spicy, and when they first opened, it was so hot that I could barely stand it, which is what I am looking for in Thai food. It's milder than it used to be, and they give a disclaimer now that they will not give a refund if you find it to be too spicy. Evidently people order spicy and then complain about it being spicy. But now the "spicy" is not spicy enough and I'm afraid of the "Thai spicy".

Willow, you will stay the course. My teen drives me bananas also. Thank goodness I'm not the drunkard I was though.

Midnight, don't know if this is helpful at all, but I found a small computer shop that I've been going to for years and just ask the two nerds that are always working in there what I need.

Saou, I hope the football goes well.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:19 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thank you, my friend, Leigh! I sure hope they are nice too.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:04 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I just reread your post, Robbie; glad you were able to enjoy your Thai meal. I like kThai curry with hot heat, too, CityBoy and Robbie. I make my black bean soup with hot salsa and add hot red flakes to pizzan just love hot spices. I met my match with Indian hot spice, though; it was intolerable.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:51 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Mr

Glad you are on the mend lhw.

Bim hopefully today will be less stressful.

MB glad to hear from you, I'm doing pretty well. Thanks for asking. Sobriety is not always easy. The issues that turned me into an alcoholic and then I buried under alcoholism... are being dealt with slowly but surely. Onwards !

How were the neighbors during the match Kaily ?

England were looking good tonight.

We get take out sushi the occasional weekend. We have a good place not too far away. I love the stuff. It's very expensive though but worth it yum yum 😋

Goodnight all 😴😴
​​
Old 07-03-2021, 10:17 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

It took me a few years to work through the anxieties and hang ups that I masked by drinking instead of dealing with them. Though I didn’t realise at the time it wasn’t normal, but only looking back I wanted to escape my life and alcohol gave me that, or so I thought. In reality I was just going further down the slippery abyss with all my baggage.

Kaily, I hope the neighbours didn’t cause you any problems last night love. x

Nice win for England last night.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:37 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, the neighbours were so quiet that I thought they weren't in. I hope they are not lulling me into a false sense of security.

Vman glad you are working through your issues. I personally find therapy too painful but I know I am in the minority and most people benefit from it.

Aly I hope your new neighbours are nicer than you could ever imagine.

Talking of takeaways, I rarely have one. I don't know why but something makes me feel really guilty/ uncomfortable if I order one. Friday I really did want one, I spent ages choosing and putting the food in my virtual basket - even had a discount code but I just couldn't do it.
Never ever tried sushi either.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:00 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Morning, guys.

Thanks, again, for suggestions.

I decided to take a pause, ask and read around. Luckily, at the moment there are no pressing tasks which require a laptop, and my smartphone takes care of the rest.

Robbie - glad you safely navigated past places of danger, like pubs. I am a healthy nutrition junkie (mostly), so rarely take a takeout.

By the way who won?
Old 07-04-2021, 12:02 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Oh, sorry.

I see. England won.

Congrats, Sao, and all British Sr fellows!
Old 07-04-2021, 12:52 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Mr

Happy independance day America...
Have a great day !
🇺🇲

Salutations weekenders
🤝
Old 07-04-2021, 02:08 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Happy Independence Day America!

As I posted last year, my town usually has Independence Day related activities every 4 July as it has a connection to the US as it's the ancestral town of the family of George Washington. Again, like last year, they have all been cancelled.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.