Notices

Weekenders - ‘Elephant in the room’ 25-28 June 2021

Old 06-28-2021, 09:33 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Yeah, this is the calm before the proverbial storm right now. It's 90*F already and it's 9:30AM. MLD is right, no one has AC out here, and I don't even have AC in my car right now because it's old and needs to be serviced and it's not on the list - so...I'll be okay, yesterday was 103* and it was miserable in the late afternoon, but showers and cold towels and lots of ice water work. Fingers crossed the refrigerator keeps working. That would be unfortunate.

My 20 YO cat with kidney disease is not doing well with it. She already went to the emergency vet once this week and she's really not interested in food or water. That's not good.

MLD, I had an emergency parachute landing once that injured my tailbone. We had ridden motorcycles to the drop zone that day, too. I was not a happy jumper. Hope yours heals quickly. Glad your kiddo is enjoying NYC.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:57 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Bim, prayers for your kittie.
Grateful for a sober weekend.
Grateful I'm putting some color on my hair. I got used to doing it during the pandemic and saved a lot of money, so I'm just doing the color myself and get a hair cut once in a while. I've been wearing it a little longer than I used to. The longer it gets, the curlier it gets. Kind of the opposite I always thought. Oh well. I'm just going with the flow or trying to practice acceptance when I can.
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Keep brushing that AV aside.
Love and peace to all. ☮
Old 06-28-2021, 09:59 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Oh bim, no, that is not good. Sending love and prayers for your kitty s
Old 06-28-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Thanks, she's a full time nursing job right now. I'm forcing fluids (subcutaneous and orally) and food but only because she's on antibiotics for a UTI and I want to give her every chance at recovery but there's only so much I can do for the old girl. *sigh* I thought the emergency vet was gonna be it - and she did do a little better for a couple days but this four days of heat may just be the tipping point.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:12 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Here for you dear bim.....for both of you ❤️
Old 06-28-2021, 10:35 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
saoutchik

20 years is a good innings for a moggie bim, I expect it's that more than the hot weather although it cannot be helping. All the best to her.

London might even break the 20°C (68F) barrier tomorrow if it stops raining
Old 06-28-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Maybe it is her time, Bim. Thinking of you.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:24 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that your cat is having a tough go of it right now Bimini.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:35 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Kaily, I'm glad you can share your feelings here too. You don't seem full of woe. You seem like a kind person who has an awful lot on her plate, so forgive yourself a little. I too am glad your neighbors wound things down at a decent hour. Hopefully they have jobs and have to go to work in the morning!
Best to you, with your feelings and Dad, it's ok. A lot of us have older parents we are caring for and understand completely.
Love and peace to you, Kaily. ☮🧡💛💚💙💜💗

Bim, again love to you and your lovely senior cat. I hope all turns out well. 💟
Old 06-28-2021, 12:44 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders

Bim, sorry to read about your cat

Kaly, your dad sounds like he is what my dad was. Very stubborn and it can be hard work dealing with it.

Hello PhoenixJ Hope you are keeping well.

Marty, I hope your aches and pains ease soon! It looks like you have had a very bruising weekend... good to hear that one of your daughters is enjoying her trip to NYC and your other daughter has found a solution to her housing issues.

I've been reading about the very hot temperatures in north west US and western Canada. I simply could not cope with extreme heat like that. A very hot day in the UK is more than I can stand so there's no way I could cope with temperatures rising anywhere near 100F let alone going above that. The weather today where I live has been very pleasant. The sun has been shining all day and there has been a lovely gentle breeze. I went to the coast this afternoon and walked part of the way out on the pier before I had to turn back. As a child I used to walk the pier to the lighthouse quite often without any problems. Unfortunately as an adult I have had problems with things like walking over bridges and really anywhere where there is a drop on either side. Such as this lovely pier that I was walking along today. I'll walk the entire length (and back) one day! When I walk along the curve of the pier and all I see is the North Sea in front of me, to the left and right of me and behind me... that is what causes me to feel a bit panicky.

(just to add, that's not my picture though I wish it was, it's perfect)
Old 06-28-2021, 01:01 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Thank you Aly, that is very kind.

Robbie, what an unusual pier. Glad you had a nice day at the coast, even without getting to the lighthouse.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:25 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, sending best wishes to Kitty, hope you’re keeping cool in the heat.

Robbie, a lovely pic, it would seem surreal when you walk it having 3 ponds just sea.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Bim, sending love to you and your dear old kitty ❤️
It’s so hard when our fur babies get old and frail. It sounds like you’re doing everything you can for her ❤️

Kaily that must be so difficult with your stubborn old Dad. You’re such a caring person. Maybe a trip to the seaside (maybe with Daisy and Alfie?) would give you a lift?

Thanks for the comments on my roo picture. Roos are naturally shy, and will usually hop away from humans.
Hand reared roos are lovely and become quite friendly and affectionate. Roos in wildlife parks that are used to being fed by people become more bold and occasionally can be aggressive, but it’s not all that common. Some of the big boys can be cranky and potentially dangerous. They can kick really hard and their big toe can be lethal. Generally though, they’re quite shy. I absolutely love them ❤️
Old 06-28-2021, 02:00 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Very cool pic, Robbie. Thanks.

(((Kaily))). (((MLD))).

Prayers for your kitty, Bim, and for you and your frig.

and love to all.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:14 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's a fascinating Pier and Lighthouse Robbie. I guess the curve must make it act as a breakwater on the right.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:28 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Welp. This is the hour of the day the weather forecast says is going to be hottest and....it's 105F, 40.5C according to the weather app. It is supposed to start dropping now - I certainly hope so, but it's only 2PM. I think there is a marine push coming through and maybe it has started.

Thank you, if that's the case. I'm sitting here in a long tank top with a wet towel around my neck and every 30 minutes I go and wet my entire head and restore more cold water to the towel. In front of a box fan. Just refilled my hibiscus iced tea in my 24 ounce Tervis cup. I'm all set. Cucumber, hummus, red pepper and carrot sandwich will be dinner, if I can choke anything down!

My downstairs neighbor lady has one of those portable room air conditioners and she invited me down, I don't think I want to leave the cat but I may go at some point. I'm fine!!
Old 06-28-2021, 02:33 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Bim, why don't you just go buy a small window shaker a/c and put it in your bedroom window so you have one cool room in the house?
Old 06-28-2021, 02:37 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Bim.....if you have a hot water bottle, fill it and put it in the freezer. Putting your feet on that can take your body temp down heaps.
Might not be of any use for today....but just a thought.❤️

And a bowl of ice water in front of the box fan, but you probably know that. xxxxxxx
Old 06-28-2021, 02:39 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

We all hate thinking of you like that, poor Bim. Take care of you and kitty.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:39 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Booney, can't have a window AC, not allowed.

V, not wasting my precious ice! Don't have a hot water bottle, but I do have frozen regular bottles of water that have been useful.

I'M FINE!!!!!!!

Really. I grew up in waaaaay South Florida. We didn't have AC until I was about 13.