Notices

Weekenders - ‘Elephant in the room’ 25-28 June 2021

Old 06-29-2021, 08:00 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Just back from my 16-bunny walk. Talked to neighbors who survived the Blast Furnace of The Sound yesterday.

Mesa, an Adventure with a most capital A.

Revenge Travel

Is that like the Rebellious OutdoorsPeople who mysteriously disappeared after their brief and frantic appearance in March 2020?

Old 06-29-2021, 08:03 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

MesaMan, what an experience. You are a true trooper. Great pic. Long live Sobriety.

Nice shout out, Mags. I’ll echo that.

Kaily Pup is adorable; that’s Daisy, right?

The hottest temp I have experienced was about 117 degrees in Phoenix; it was horrendously unpleasant.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

122F - Before, I would have proclaimed that type of weather to only be good for drinking cold beer. It would seem that waking up in the middle of the night, wide awake for hours and in a hot sweat, would prove otherwise.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:27 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Thank you, soberclover! It's great to have another 2013 here!
Grateful for all the wonderful posts.
Have a great day all!
Old 06-29-2021, 09:14 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Bim asked: "Is that like the Rebellious OutdoorsPeople who mysteriously disappeared after their brief and frantic appearance in March 2020?"

Yes, I do believe they might be exactly the same people. I remember going to my favorite little state park where I have been hiking regularly for years and being bowled over by the number of cars and people there. Normally I see a few folks out on the trails, but last Spring, for a brief period, it was actually verging on crowded. It's a small park that a lot of people don't bother with because it's really just trails and picnic tables, but boy, they sure found it last year. It didn't help any that state park admission was free for a while last year. So all these people who felt cooped up brought their kids and dogs and garbage to the state parks. They are gone now... things are back to normal.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Normally I see a few folks out on the trails, but last Spring, for a brief period, it was actually verging on crowded. It's a small park that a lot of people don't bother with because it's really just trails and picnic tables, but boy, they sure found it last year. It didn't help any that state park admission was free for a while last year. So all these people who felt cooped up brought their kids and dogs and garbage to the state parks. They are gone now... things are back to normal.
Do you have to pay to go to your parks or am I misunderstanding?

Old 06-29-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Do you have to pay to go to your parks or am I misunderstanding?
In Washington State (maybe in Wisconsin too, dunno) there are city, county and state parks. State parks are generally by paid admission and usually have lots of amenities such as camping, yurts, picnic tables and fire pits and barbeque stands, docks, piers, parking areas, showers and bathrooms, some have laundry. They are staffed 24/7 365 by maintenance and security and park rangers. In my state a year's general admission pass is $30 or you can pay a per-visit $10 entry. Camping is extra and you have to buy a camping permit at state parks. They are usually on large open spaces or beaches or mountain reserves with a lot of fishing and hiking trails that are maintained by the state and/or even fish stocks maintained. In some places you can still drive in without paying but the most popular ones have toll booths at the entrance(s.) City and county (and some state parks) are free.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:38 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Thank you Bim. Some of your parks sound like my neighbours garden.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:41 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hey, weekenders.

What a "coincidence". Just today I thought that I haven't been at SR for a while and I miss my friends.

So, I checked in, and saw Mags shouting out for some AWOL members, including myself)

I am ok, just have been a bit busy lately.

I somehow survived my Birthday (May 14), which this year hit me especially hard - I started feeling very depressed like two weeks before it. For me it was like watching life the life slipping away in big chunks.

Once it was over my mood improved, and I can forgot about it till next year)

Also I had to shift my workouts at 6 a.m. since your gym is getting more and more packed and at some moment I realized that working out after work brings me more stress than stress relief, which is supposed to be.

Working out before work has it perks - it's good to start a day with a feeling that I already conquered one of the main challenges of the day.

Nothing spectacularly adventurous here. Just trying to master never-learned-before art of enjoying life.

In my lifetime I got so addicted to feeling miserable, that anything beyond this feeling brings, along with joy, discomfort and anxiety.

Sometimes I pause and catch myself feeling sad...just because. Without any particular reason. Because it feels familiar. It feels like home, When I ask myself why exactly do I feel sad or depressed, the answer is "Because it's me. There is always something wrong with me. I am supposed to feel that way".

Well, I am rumbling.

Gotta go. Have to wake up at 5 a.m. to make it to the gym)

So glad to 'see' you all, weekenders!
Old 06-29-2021, 11:48 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great to see you MidnightBlue, a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you! Your post made me realise how lazy I have been recently.

It sounds like you kept a cool head in potentially tricky situation there MesaMan. We are not allowed 🚫 to travel overseas really here so the situation is similar here in the UK I believe with places all booked up. No one will be suffering from heatstroke this month though.

Bloody hell WE WON! (2-0) I can hardly believe it.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:49 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Midnightblue, good to see you. I understand that completely, happiness is scary, not normal and kind of not allowed. An unknown entity.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:04 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Thank you Bim. Some of your parks sound like my neighbours garden.
Yeah, then there are the outback places, national parks. That is what I think MesaMan likes (maybe?) I know little about those other than my neighbor lives in one in her camper in the winters (in California somewhere) for free.

Hi, Midnight!
Old 06-29-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Great to see you, MidnightBlue.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:17 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

A lot of the free car parking for country parks here have started charging. If you visit frequently it soon adds up. Luckily I have a nice one in walking distance but I get bored if I go to the same place all the time.

Pinch yourself Sao, make sure you're not dreaming.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:18 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Midnight

Saou, ye of little faith.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:32 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Magsie

MesaMan sounds an adventure of an holiday. Good job you know what you’re doing.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:36 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Bim, most of that free outback camping your referring to is BLM land....Bureau of Land Management
Old 06-29-2021, 12:42 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Welcome back MidnightBlue. The way you described how you sometimes feel is how I sometimes feel. Welldone on gaining the motivation to go to the gym at 6am. I don't think I could do a workout and then go to work. I'd want to go to sleep.

MesaMan, that is some adventure you've had. I love the way you describe it, it's very unique and captivating. Great picture too.

Kaily, great picture of Daisy looking so relaxed and literally laid back!

I went for a very long (by my standards) walk this afternoon so my knees are a bit sore tonight. I think I will do 20 minutes on my mini exercise bike as it helps stop the knee joints from seizing up.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:22 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

One thing I manage to do is remain amused. As when this fellow Coloradoan pulled into the Nevada RV Park in this estimated $1.5 Million Buck set-up. If these Folks don't lift up a Side Panel to watch a Game blaring on a monster Flat Screen TV underneath said Panel, they're good, reclusive Neighbors. The automated Satellite Dish goes up first thing. Turn on the 2 A/C Units. Light up the string of colored LED Lights under the Chassis, and it's Party On, Garth!

Bim's right. As usual. I like heading to The Hinterlands and skip being around People. WHICH, is taking a bit more Recon to do. One large RV Manufacturer is booked for all of their 2022 Manufacturing output consisting of $14 BILLION of Orders Backlog. Just nutso! Conventional wisdom is that there will be lotsa used RVs for sale a few Years from now. It's wheeled, high maintenance Rental Property, and not for everyone. I've been sussing out new remote spots on the 'Free Roam' App. Lots of good info on different visual layers. Right down to Cell Tower locations, since I like streaming Music through a specialized long distance Antenna and Amplifier.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:40 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just traveled that road too, Mesa man, about three weeks ago. Beautiful vastness. Did you see the artillery and hidden armory in that town in the middle of nowhere? Do scary if you don’t have enough gas. Many many miles without a soul to be seen........

Freezing here, even though in US. Yesterday morning 39F 🥶

55 and raining here now. It’s ok though, we’re baking a couple weeks ago.