SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekenders - ‘Elephant in the room’ 25-28 June 2021 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/454391-weekenders-elephant-room-25-28-june-2021-a.html)

Mags1 06-23-2021 11:40 PM

Weekenders - ‘Elephant in the room’ 25-28 June 2021

Welcome to Weekenders

The Elephant in the room, we do talk about!

In my drinking days, I kept it a big secret, yes people knew I liked a drink, or three, but what they didn’t know is how much I drank.

It was my carefully guarded secret....Or so I thought.

It was a big secret though hardly ever mentioned, just there constantly, like the proverbial Elephant in the room.

The good news is we do talk about it on Weekenders, and support each other, we’re not shy to talk of addiction and the cravings, which for some reason, seem worse at the weekends.

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier.

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Please Join us and the Elephant in the room!

CBS62 06-23-2021 11:52 PM

Hi Mags. Thanks for the starter. Shotgun! I am in for another sober weekend !

Mags1 06-23-2021 11:53 PM

Congratulations on shotgun CBS62 :c011:

CBS62 06-24-2021 12:00 AM

Thanks Mags. I should be sleeping right now but having some insomnia. So I finally got shotgun 😂.

Mags1 06-24-2021 12:13 AM

:lol: CBS, I hope you manage to get back to sleep. :hug:

Reid82 06-24-2021 12:16 AM

Thanks Mags, well done on shotgun, CBS62. Beat me to it. I'm in for this sober weekend.

Mags1 06-24-2021 01:00 AM

Good to see you Reid :)

Willow00 06-24-2021 01:35 AM

Thanks Mags :)
I’m in for a sober weekend, although I’ll be out camping this weekend :)

PhoenixJ 06-24-2021 01:44 AM

thanks Mags

andyh 06-24-2021 01:52 AM

thanks Mags :tyou

Nonsensical 06-24-2021 02:16 AM

Man, ain't that the truth! I thought the only person my drinking was impacting was me, and then maybe Mrs Nons toward the end when it escalated rapidly to daily blackouts. Only just this year have my (now adult) children started to share with me how it was impacting them when they were young. Before I started to realize it was bad.
There was an elephant in the room for a long time. The person who couldn't see it was me!
Thanks Mags!
IN for another glorious sober weekend!

Sober53 06-24-2021 03:02 AM

Thanks Mags, I’m in for another sober weekend.

Kaily 06-24-2021 03:50 AM

Thanks Mags.

Did anyone see this on the news today?

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/23/sheffield-neighbour-cut-tree-in-half-after-petty-row-over-nesting-birds-14817831/

https://i.postimg.cc/430HWnD0/download.jpg

Having ongoing disputes with my neighbours about a fence I can relate! What a shame for the birds and the tree though.

And continuing on from the subject of poisonous plants, I saw this giant Hogweed on my walk today.

https://i.postimg.cc/wMXVKhHM/IMG-20...094544-093.jpg

biminiblue 06-24-2021 04:36 AM

I very rarely have neighbor issues, but my downstairs neighbor is in her mid 80s and when she dies her condo goes to her crazy 40-something alcoholic, head-injury son. Not looking forward to that.

Thanks for the OP Mags.

Cityboy 06-24-2021 04:38 AM

Hogweed looks and sounds like something from Harry Potter.

Mizz 06-24-2021 05:23 AM

Is that picture of the tree real, Kaily?
Wow! Who hates a tree that much? lol. People are hysterical.

Robbie64 06-24-2021 05:31 AM

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for another sober weekend.

Congratulations on shotgun CBS62.

Kaily, I saw that story about the neighbours in my daily newspaper. It's sad when neighbours fall out to the extent that a tree is getting cut in half like that. In this instance, it seems like the problems started when lockdown first came in in March 2020. It looks like birds were getting into the tree and making a mess on the driveway. I'm sure it could have been sorted out in a more amicable way.

It's Thursday already but i've yet to draw up any firm plans for the weekend. I do need to get a few things for the house so it looks like another visit to well known UK bargain store B&M may be on the cards on Saturday morning!

Robbie64 06-24-2021 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mizz (Post 7655148)
Is that picture of the tree real, Kaily?
Wow! Who hates a tree that much? lol. People are hysterical.

Sadly, it's real. I had to do a double take when I saw in in my newspaper this morning. It's cut to within an inch of what the law allows - cut to the boundary line between the two properties - but it's only going to cause more problems down the line. What will they do when the branches grow again? It'll cost a fortune to keep having someone to prune the tree to the correct legal requirements each and every time.

I don't know what the law is elsewhere but here in the UK (and I assume this will have happened in this case), if a tree that belongs to a neighbour overgrows on to someone's property then the branches can be cut back to the boundary line between the two properties but the person then has to return the clippings to the neighbour otherwise it is theft! I wonder if the neighbour who had the tree cut in two returned the branches and leaves? It doesn't say in the article...

Mags1 06-24-2021 06:09 AM

Kaily, sounds really crazy to cut a tree down the middle. :dunno: The Hogweed sounds bad, dangerous to humans and animals I just read.

Robbie I like B&M and Homebargains too. There are certainly some savings to be had. :)

I’ve just been cutting back some plant (or weed) that has grown out of control onto the footpath. Now my hands are itching terribly and I can’t find the savlon. :dunno:

Mizz 06-24-2021 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Robbie64 (Post 7655157)

I wonder if the neighbour who had the tree cut in two returned the branches and leaves? It doesn't say in the article...

HAHA!!! This is outrageously funny

So, if the neighbor did not give half the tree to the owner then the owner could, in theory, sue for half a tree?
Ha ha ha..... I need to keep up on the story. I don't think its over, people!