Notices

Escaping the Crapulousness - Weekenders 14 - 17 May 2021

Old 05-14-2021, 10:32 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

BUT- upon a whim, I contacted the lecturer responsible for the subject my painted assignment wasfor. She saw it pre disaster and I took pics progressively and she doesn't want meto redo it. 20 hours work
Old 05-14-2021, 10:42 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Here's a nice ear worm to start the day.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:52 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

PJ, I do hope they can sort your pain management out soon. Must be so wearying on you. Take care

Hi Manta how’s work going. Are you still working from home.

My mind is playing the chicken song as I’m writing this post and I’m trying my best to ignore it. It was a very catchy terpsichorean era

I never watched the Clangers, so I’ve just watched some on YouTube. A old work colleague said when he was a kid it scared him.

I watched Magic Roundabout, Bill and Ben, and the cute Andy Pandy and Loubylou. Of course Tom &Jerry was always a hit too (so to speak).

Have a good sober weekend

Old 05-14-2021, 11:01 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday Midnight and Mesa! Mesa pup is indeed a handsome chap. Good to see you Kaily.

Another sober weekend to look forward to - hooray for that. I failed a credit check yesterday (for a new phone) for the first time in my life and in indignation checked with the referencing agency (Equifax) and found that my score is actually very good - yet another benefit of sobriety. There was however a missing electoral role record so have sorted that out and will have to try again. Frustrating.

In other news it looks like we might be getting a dog to keep us company in a couple of month's time. He's apparently a quiet creature who sleeps a lot. There will be no shortage of walks for him in our house!

Anyway, work to be done and the house needs cleaning this morning. Have a great weekend all. Forwards.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:39 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, I hope everyone has or does make through Friday evening without picking up. Waking up clear headed on a Saturday morning is a big upside.

PhoenixJ that's a real shame about your epidural, I hope it will still have a positive effect albeit a delayed one. Sending positive vibes your way.

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
I can’t help but recall a particularly rowdy evening in a pub in North Wales when friends and I put a £1 in the juke box & then programmed the Birdie Song to play ten times (it was the 80’s when £1 went a bit further than it does now)
When I was young some local Goths used to put Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus on repeat in the jukebox of the pub that we used to go to. That's not a bad record by any means but it grates on a person's nerves a bit after the 3rd hearing. I won't post it as it takes forever.

Morning Kaily, you don't hear that played on the radio now do you for some strange reason French Kiss by Lil Louis came out about the same time, another earworm.

I saw one of these at a distance in a private car park this morning - an Autozam AZ-1 (a Mazda) They are nearly 30 years old now but really cool imo. They have a tiny 660cc engine but only weigh as much as a go-kart. Very few were built and not many left Japan, I had never seen one until this morning. This isn't the one I saw but it shows what they look like better than the limited view I had.

Attached Images
Old 05-15-2021, 01:45 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Restless night, reading ‘My Story’ stories, not sure why I’m anxious. Eyes burning.

Back to bed.

happy birthdays and soberversaries!
🎂🍭🍦🍨🎉🎁
Old 05-15-2021, 02:11 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Morning all!! Here’s to a no hangover Saturday morning! My partners daughter came round as it was her birthday. They had gone drinking and had a meal then came home. She wanted more alcohol so she went and got it. I was so proud of myself as not only did I have tea but after she had gone, when I put the cans in the kitchen there was some left in one of them. My AV went ahhh go on no one will know. I answered I will and poured it down the sink! I was so proud of myself but my partner went yeah and that was it. He just acted like it want a big deal. Made me sad.

Anyway I won’t let it affect me and I’m staying sober!

Have a great day all xx
Old 05-15-2021, 02:12 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Morning all!

First The Birdie Song and now the Crazy Frog version of 'Axel F'. Yikes!

Sao, the car looks nice except for the doors - I like car doors that open outwards, not upwards. Looking at the photos on the Top Gear website, it's a very small, compact, sports car. https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...japan-top-gear

PJ, I hope your pain management medication gets sorted out properly.

Have a good day!
Old 05-15-2021, 02:49 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks for asking Mags x. Work is going well, feels like a good fit for me and settled in nicely so far. Still working from home and depends on what happens with the June 21st phase of easing lockdown if we are back in the office. However they have said that even if we do go back in it will be 50/50 split so a few days in the office and a few days at home which would be perfect for me.

Have a lovely weekend people xx
Old 05-15-2021, 02:58 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Magsie

That sounds great Manta. Glad everything at work is going well. x

Jo, Normie drinkers just don’t get us. My hubby never has either when I’ve said I’m so many months sober he’s not impressed. The only people who know how good you did not taking a drink are here and all the drinkers who quit round the world, Us who knows where we’d be if we started drinking again. The slope might not be steeper to start with but it does get steeper and faster towards the rock at the bottom. You did well
Old 05-15-2021, 06:20 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm glad the corn on the cob is going well MantaLady.

Congratulations on resiting temptation Jo.

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Sao, the car looks nice except for the doors - I like car doors that open outwards, not upwards. Looking at the photos on the Top Gear website, it's a very small, compact, sports car. https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...japan-top-gear
LOL! I have always wanted a car with gullwing doors but they are usually too expensive (mind you an AZ-1 is about £5K/$7K so not cheap for a 3 decades old car) Thank you for posting the link, it was interesting.

It's Saturday, let's have some music. These guys are from Australia (where it is probably Sunday) I can never understand what they are singing about but my aural spidey senses tell me they are very good:-

https://youtu.be/kPJm7lYMjJs

Old 05-15-2021, 06:48 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Someone from UK...so Forwards said his credit was affected by some electoral roles thing? Are you required to vote or something? I did not know that.

Sober Saturday morning never gets old.

Lots of great posts, I've got nothin'
Old 05-15-2021, 07:52 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Having a better weekend so far from a pretty awful week to be honest. It's funny I remarked to someone last night that when I hit the 1 year mark, things weren't great either!

Went to a new meeting last night, I don't go to many AA meetings these days (usually 1-2 a week) and literally half my aftercare was there and as my aftercare is still on Zoom it
was good to see them in person.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:18 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Oh yes, that was me alright. Friday night was a blur and Saturday was spent entirely in bed and overeating. And when I was in a domestic abuse situation, the drinking spread all over the weekdays as well as the weekends. Of course I was in that situation because of an alcohol-fueled decision.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jo43 View Post

Morning all!! Here’s to a no hangover Saturday morning!
I couldn't agree more! Happy birthdays and sober anniversaries! Lovely Saturday morning here; looking forward to being outside. Hubby watches me zooming around all energetic and says that maybe he should cut down drinking a bit more (he has successfully cut back to just weekends, good for him, but still drinks more than he should on those weekends). I said, that would probably be a good idea, I would support that. And I left it at that. Does anyone think I should be saying more? I don't want to bug him to the point where he feels like drinking, as that would be counter-productive. Plus I think it has to be up to him - just like it was up to me to quit entirely. But if anyone has said something different to a partner that has been helpful, I would be open to considering it. Anyway, hope everyone can find some good this weekend!
Old 05-15-2021, 09:53 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Someone from UK...so Forwards said his credit was affected by some electoral roles thing? Are you required to vote or something? I did not know that.
it just means being registered to vote while living at a particular address - it's a legal requirement, but it's not enforced much (if at all?). you're not actually required to vote (like in Australia), but you can't vote without being registered.

edit: credit agencies like it for some reason - I guess it helps avoid identity fraud or that you're a conscientious, law-abiding citizen or something.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:56 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Magsie

Grateful I would’ve said same as you and left it at that. Him seeing the positive effect being sober is having on you is a start.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:59 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hi weekenders! Having a good day here. Took Billie for a long walk and she's now napping on her blankie.

Mesa Pup is gorgeous!

Enjoying a cup of coffee. I remember when I was going thru withdrawals every damn morning and had to give up my coffee cause the w/d anxiety was so bad. So glad that's in the distant past now.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:07 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post

Enjoying a cup of coffee. I remember when I was going thru withdrawals every damn morning and had to give up my coffee cause the w/d anxiety was so bad. So glad that's in the distant past now.
im wondering if that’s what happening to me! I’m going to give up caffeine and see if it helps me xx
Old 05-15-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Thanks, Andyh!

Jo, I had to quit coffee in early sobriety...or rather, caffeine. I cut back to one cup of half-caf coffee per day in that first six months. I was wayyyyyyyy too jittery. Even today, over seven years later I only have one cup per day of regular coffee and one caffeinated tea, otherwise I get intrusive thoughts. No Coke or Pepsi or fizzy caffeine, either. Waah.

I want to drink all the coffee. My body and mind say, "Uh. No."