Notices

Escaping the Crapulousness - Weekenders 14 - 17 May 2021

Old 05-13-2021, 09:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Free, how frustrating, glad you got what you wanted. Days gone by I would’ve drank on any small problem too. Well done for not drinking.

Saou, that’s the one. Love the music. Sad to hear she died at 38. Makes us grateful we gave up the drinking.

Grateful, look forward to your bird pics. It’s a lovely pastime out in nature with the birds and animals around.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Morning Mags,

I’m looking forward to spending time in nature today

I get a three hour work break every day. And rather than sitting in a random pub slewing pints & smoking tabs, I’m going to sit on a fallen tree in the middle of a copse & listen to the blackbirds and psithurism.*

*my (now relegated to second) favourite word.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:35 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders,

I can remember going into work more times than not totally crapulous. Often barely able to function, looking like death, shaking and giving off enough fumes to intoxicate anyone in the vicinity. Strange thing is I never even really considered giving up, it was just who I was. I didn't know any different.

Things progressively went from bad to worse. I was never sober, bad stuff happened.

Eventually I gave up drinking till the age of 55 after it had escalated into gargantuan amounts, I was no longer capable of working, my mental health had declined and I was drinking all the time I was awake until I passed out.

I am still adapting to this new way of living. The want to numb myself from the world will never leave me. I will just have to live with that in order to stay out of the gutter. It took far too much to drag myself out to ever go back.

But nobody said it would be easy.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:48 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning all, welcome to Weekenders Burra!

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
I’m going to sit on a fallen tree in the middle of a copse & listen to the blackbirds and psithurism.*

*my (now relegated to second) favourite word.
Psithurism, what an excellent word, I had not heard of it. The dictionary describes it as follows:- The sound of wind in the trees and rustling of leaves. See also related terms for rustling.

I had heard of "crapulous" but like others did not know it was a real word.

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely crapulous..." William Shakespeare.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Magsie

Tufty I’d not heard of Psithurism, I googled it and also now know how to say it, courtesy of youtube. I love the word and I love to listen to it too.

Kaily good to see you. Hope yourself, Alfie and Daisy are ok. I’ve missed you.

Saou, lol, I can just imagine Shakespeare on the stage uttering those words.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:03 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

Alfie n Daisy.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:24 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders, heading into weekend 5 with two new words under my belt, love them both! Kaily, I read your post with tears in my eyes. Seriously never want to go back to ‘living’ like that.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Kaily, we joined SR in the same year, and I remember your early struggles very well.

If I said “you’ve come such a long way“, it wouldn’t come close to describing how well you’ve done.

I hope you’re giving yourself the recognition you deserve, along with loving yourself deeply. You’re definitely worth it.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:17 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Good Morning all!

Lovely to meet you Kaily and we’ll done on all you have achieved!

Im still struggling with my asthma and have a girlie home sick but I’m not hungover so all is good with the world! My lad made me laugh saying if he stayed home he could catch up with his homework!! Ummm nope that should be done anyway 😂😂

My partner is stressing me out too as he doesn’t really get it. We have had the week off together and have spent lots of time together but this morning he said it wasn’t good and we had had hardly any time due to school runs and weather being rubbish and me then getting ill. He’s made me feel rubbish to be honest! Like why do I bother. Now he’s chosen to go to work today! I have to concentrate on myself as otherwise I think my AV may win
Old 05-14-2021, 12:55 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Magsie

Jo, wise to concentrate on yourself. The av will be there with any opportunity. I found being sober helped me deal with life’s ups and downs (and my Asthma too). Sorry you suffer with Asthma, take care of it...remember to follow your Asthma Action Plan.

Aaaw there they are, Alfie and Daisy. ❤️ They actually look like they’re smiling. I bet they have a blessed life with you Kaily.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread Mags, I'm IN!

I had to count this up, but this weekend will be my 16th consecutive sober weekend. I'd like to think I've escaped the crapulousness behaviour of my drinking days.

Welcome to the Weekenders thread Burra

It's my first post in the thread and we're already three pages in. It could be a busy weekend!

I love the theme tune to The White Horses. Hearing the song takes me back to my childhood. The programme was repeated every year during most of the 1970s during the long school holidays. Despite having seen every episode I was still surprised to learn that only 13 episodes were ever made. Being on constant repeat made it seem like there were many more episodes (other programmes that had a mere handful of episodes that ran for what seemed like forever: Trumpton, Camberwick Green and Chigley, all known as the Trumptonshire Trilogy). Singer of The White Horses theme is Jackie Lee who also sang the theme tune to another TV programme that takes me back to childhood - Rupert The Bear. I'm listening to theme tune at present!

I hope everyone has a good weekend. I plan to have a lazy one. The weather forecast for this weekend is awful, lots of rain forecast, so I'm going to stay home and watch football on TV.

Old 05-14-2021, 02:03 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I always loved the Clangers music - very ahead of its time:

Old 05-14-2021, 05:32 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone, Friday afternoon and the weekend is coming along nicely.

Kaily, we are just as happy as Alfie and Daisy appear to be in your photo, to see you join us again. I agree they are certainly beaming!

Thanks tufty, I have been a diehard fan of Hergè’s ever since I read my first Adventures of Tintin (The Cigars of the Pharao) when I was about ten years old. Most of the books were still in hardcover back then. To answer your question on how long I’ve been sober, I wish I could say that I have years of sobriety under my belt. Alas, I have long periods of sobriety, interspersed with periods of controlled drinking that sooner or later metamorphosed into bouts of uncontrolled overindulgence of varying duration. A bit of a roller coaster, really. After yet another good run, I had a stumble earlier this year, but am now back on track. Thank goodness nothing bad has ever happened - no DUI’s, have been in the same profession for over 20 twenty years with (insofar as I can tell) a good reputation for work ethic and skill within my field, still happily married etc. But when drinking, things are not always as they appear on the outside. I’m glad to say that I firmly believe that I may have finally jumped the fence!

By the way (and Sao is probably already aware of this), I believe tomorrow is international Whiskey day, but couldn’t care less!

Old 05-14-2021, 05:55 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

I popped in to say Hi and to celebrate yet another sober Birthday with my SR friends.

I am also exactly 8 years and 7 months alcohol-free today.

Life is not ideal, but it's surely better sober.

Treated myself to a taxi ride to work, got flowers and a present from colleagues.

Have a good day, weekenders!
Old 05-14-2021, 06:01 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Good to see you Midnight, thanks for joining in and most of all, happy birthday! I am especially pleased to read of flowers and a present, with no mention of a scarf . Congratulations also on sobriety approaching 9 years.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:06 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Sorry, double post)

Not my fault)
Old 05-14-2021, 06:16 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Good to see you Midnight, thanks for joining in and most of all, happy birthday! I am especially pleased to read of flowers and a present, with no mention of a scarf . Congratulations also on sobriety approaching 9 years.
Thank you, Captain!

Great to see you too.

Scarfdee

Though scarf was for another holiday.

With the Birthday it was even better - no present because he "couldn't come up with an idea what to give me as a present".

Old 05-14-2021, 06:19 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats MB

D
Old 05-14-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I also didn't know crapulous was a real word. Pretty appropriate, it is.

Hi, Midnight! Congrats - is it the soberversary we're celebrating?

Gorilla baby #2 born in the pandemic has a name now: Zuna

Blog, if you like baby pics: https://blog.zoo.org/2021/04/baby-go...ding-time.html

All's well in the PNW. Beeeeeyouteeful weather, long days, the governor announced full rollback to normal activities will happen in just a few weeks. The feds say masks can (mostly) go away...but it's a confusing message in general, like all of this. Things are definitely looking up. Thank you baby Jesus, we need it.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

Hi, Midnight! Congrats - is it the soberversary we're celebrating?
Hi, Bim!

It's both my real Birthday and Sobervesary)