Notices

Escaping the Crapulousness - Weekenders 14 - 17 May 2021

Old 05-12-2021, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Escaping the Crapulousness - Weekenders 14 - 17 May 2021

to the Weekenders

After glimpses in the rear view mirror last week I found my old ‘poem’.

Crapulousness sums up pretty much how I was feeling in my drinking days.

Holding my life together, working, drinking, hiding my drinking, became increasingly more difficult.

I worried people/work were beginning to guess. The cracks were beginning to show.

I was on a crazy ride I couldn’t get off.

If you feel your life feels like this with drinking, it is possible to quit.

As Biminiblue’s Opening post said a few weeks ago

‘The fence. Not a good seat.’ There's no better time than right now to stop self-destructive addictions.

I sat on the fence for far too long. It was a good day when I took the plunge and jumped over.

My Glimpse Of Weekends Past

If this weekend was like others

I’d not know much of it,

I’d be blotto, comatose

And mostly, degenerate.

~~~

Amidst the empty bottles,

An itch that can’t be scratched,

Then one more drink as I crash horizontal.

~~~

There’d be regrets and memory loss,

Broken promises of ‘this is the last’

Whilst amid much crapulousness

~~~

But wait! I broke the mould,

I refused my ache for alcohol

How will my sober life unfold?

~~~

Many sober weekends (and weekdays) on,

Eight years almost, it will be

Since I chose the sober path,

Regrets? Not one, I say happily.

~~~

A ‘poem’ by Mags

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 05-13-2021, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

This is still my go to posting pics link
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...our-posts.html (How to put pics in your posts)

D
Old 05-13-2021, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags

crapulousness is a new word to me, but very apt. I am very glad to be uncrapulous these days.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love your poem very Apt for me too 💗
Old 05-13-2021, 12:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Morning all!! Love the poem Mags! Crapulous is such an awesome word!!

Im in for my 4th sober weekend! Almost a month sober now and still feel exhausted. But better that than drunk and comotosed being a cow to everyone I love and making a fool of myself!!

Sober life rules!!
Old 05-13-2021, 12:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Andy

Hi OverthePanic

Hi Jo, congratulations on your 4th weekend
Old 05-13-2021, 01:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 4 and I’m saying no to drinking and crapulousness (a word which sums up exactly what alcohol brings me).. so I’m in for the weekend and will stay close to SR !
Old 05-13-2021, 01:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Icandothis
Old 05-13-2021, 01:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.🙂

Almost 4 weeks and also feel exhausted.. would have expected to feel a bit more lively now, but recovering from a fractured humerus..3 weeks in so that's probably why..a fall whilst drinking outdoors with a friend and going way over the top to what I normally drink, hence the reason I will never drink again.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi whitehorses, ouch, sounds painful. Take care. That’s a good reason to stop drinking.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great opening mags.

Whitehorse, hope it heels properly. I think that a lot of us had single event, or in my case a compilation of events, that finally made the choice obvious to put down the sauce.

Jo, hope the concrete finishing turned out nice. I remember that feeling of barely being able to drag myself up and out. It soon passed.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Icando well done on day 4! Stay close these guys are so awesome!!

ouch whitehorses! Hope it heals quickly for you! Well done on almost four weeks!

city - well concrete would have been fab if partners brother had not have walked across it so we have few dips and footprints ugh!!!! He reckons it’s like Hollywood walk of fame and he’s now immortal in our floor! Muppet!!!!

Im feeling pretty rubbish. Cement dust has activated my asthma so it’s inhaler city today and lots of rest. But hey ho onwards and upwards!

25 days sober and will not quit this new sober life for anything! My AV voice can do one and say what it likes as I’m not listening! Gonna use my ear plugs against or play loud music to drown it out!!

Have a good day all! xx
Old 05-13-2021, 02:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags! I'm definitely glad to be away from the crapulousness.....especially once I realized I was beating myself up and blowing my money to provide free entertainment for everyone else....That crap gets old!

In for the weekend
Old 05-13-2021, 03:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I knew there were many benefits to reading and posting on SR, but I didn’t expect the discovery of my new favourite word to be one of them.

Crapulousness, the more I say it the better it gets.

Happy weekend to all you beautiful people, I’m really grateful for everyone’s musings. They are going to help me stay sober this weekend.

It will be a weekend free of drinking, free of drugging, free of smoking.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in for a sober weekend. As I mentioned in my 2 years sober thread, it's been a challenging few weeks for me personally. There was a huge miscommunication from
my old Treatment Centre about payments for my current aftercare and it really upset the group. The issue has been resolved now but really left a lot of us in the group very upset and angry.
They took full responsibility for what happened though.

I have been seeing someone else in recovery on and off for many months now and that has ended badly for both of us so unfortunately so I'm trying to get my head around that. Plus, I'm going to
counselling to deal mainly with my mother's dementia so that has really opened up old wounds. My head has been a mess for the last few days, but at least I didn't want to drink over all of this!
Which is a miracle in itself from what would have happened years ago.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stay strong Reid. That’s an awful lot to be dealing with.

virtual hug.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Tufty, one of my favorites too

Reid, sorry things are a bit rough at the minute. I sympathize with your mum’s dementia, my mum in law has it. It’s very difficult. Take care of yourself, stay close. Pleased you didn’t drink.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I love the word crapulousness

thanks Mags
Old 05-13-2021, 04:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your poem, Mags. I was already familiar with crapulousness, but it was a nice reminder as it’s not a word one hears very often.

Reid, congrats on your two year anniversary! I am sorry to hear the relationship didn’t work out.

I like reading about your progress as well, tufty.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in! Thanks, Mags, I love the poem.
No more crapulousness for me, thankyouverymuch.

Reid, that is a lot to be dealing with. You already know drinking wouldn't help, so I won't say it.
Whitehorses, I hope your arm heals well. Stay the sober course! It will help the healing if you stay sober!
Jo, congrats on finishing the concrete, even with the accidental dips! I hope your asthma settles down.

Good to see everyone. I will be busy again this weekend, so many projects to work on. Younger daughter is now home from college, and we have to get her clothing sorted and buy some new things for her because she's going on her first grown-up trip with friends in a few weeks. I'm happy for her but I'm also really having a hard time letting her go off without me. I will worry every minute she is gone. We do quite a bit of traveling so she will be basically ok, and her friends know what they are doing mostly too, I think. It will be a learning experience for both of us. They did make all the arrangements themselves, and seem to have done a good job at that.

I'm happy that we finally seem to have spring here. It's been quite cold at night up until now, and just yesterday I was able to start planting some flowers in pots for my deck. I have had them in my garage at night in their nursery pots for almost 2 weeks, and they really needed to get into their new homes. I think we are done having the really cold weather at night now (fingers crossed). It's my favorite time of year and my busiest. I wish I had more time to just kick back and enjoy the warm weather.