Notices

Flow In, Flow Out, Weekenders, January 29 - 01 February 2021

Old 01-29-2021, 03:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags!
(welcome on our Sober Bus btw!)

Hello Weekenders!

I'm in for another sober weekend with you guys!
Old 01-29-2021, 05:16 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders! I really enjoyed that post. Thank you for sharing that, Mags!

I'm looking forward to a relaxing sober weekend at home this weekend. Hope everyone has had a great Friday and start to their weekend.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Just saying hello. Did 111 days back in 2017-18. Goal was 100. Haven't set the forever goal yet but getting close. Doing dry January now. Might extend my goal another month. Then hopefully keep going. Besides being bored on weekends, even with a bunch of new hobbies, I feel great. Like most of you, the fear of not social drinking is the damn dragon that must be slayed.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

It's still dark in the eagle pasture. Fluffballs asleep.
BIMINI! I know the Eaglettes will be okay but I am very sad for Harriet and M15
I really hope they will be reunited before a few weeks. Tough day at the Eagle Pasture.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by RUL23 View Post
Hey guys. Just saying hello. Did 111 days back in 2017-18. Goal was 100. Haven't set the forever goal yet but getting close. Doing dry January now. Might extend my goal another month. Then hopefully keep going. Besides being bored on weekends, even with a bunch of new hobbies, I feel great. Like most of you, the fear of not social drinking is the damn dragon that must be slayed.
Your sobriety has an end date? Curious as to why this is?
Old 01-29-2021, 07:42 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you decide to keep it going RUL...I can't be half in with drinking - it's all or nothing.

D
Old 01-29-2021, 08:05 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Your sobriety has an end date? Curious as to why this is?
Denial.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:06 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Another weekend. One breath at a time!
Old 01-29-2021, 08:58 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Good to see you lifewithart, Katebor, Mizz and RUL.

It took me many hangovers, blackouts, embarrassments, to admitting alcohol wasn’t good for me. The thought of never drinking again terrified me. It had been my crutch for so many years, it was hard to let it go. (Actually it had taken me over, my life lived round my next drink, even though I went to work and thought I acted normally on the outside).

It took a jolt (not quite rock bottom but hanging on by my fingernails) which made me see myself for the first time and I didn’t like me, who I’d become.
After realising I needed to ditch the booze for my health and sanity, and I knowing I couldn’t do it on my own, too embarrassed to talk to a doctor I searched the Internet, found SR and been here ever since.

Nowadays I don’t crave or need a drink to feel better or for a crutch. My life is much better without it. But I stayed here because I’ve met many friends along the way and if I can help one person along the way, I’ll be happy.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:53 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks Caramel, yes I guess I needed the Marmite although I didn't like it much and now have a jar big enough for life.

Oh no, I don't watch the Eagle cams as I am far to sensitive to the perils of nature. Natural curiosity got to me and I peeped to see what was going on after reading Mizz's post. Poor babies, poor parents, all that trauma and unsettlement at the beginning of life is so sad.

RUL, keep adding on another month then before you know it you will have a year. Then aim for another year.. . Each time you go back to drinking it will get worse and worse until one day you might not be able to stop.

Ha ha sardines in an office is not ideal Cityboy.

I had a restless night but at one point I woke myself up laughing which makes a pleasant change.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Morning Weekenders

Good to see you lifewithart, Katebor, Mizz and RUL.

It took me many hangovers, blackouts, embarrassments, to admitting alcohol wasn’t good for me. The thought of never drinking again terrified me. It had been my crutch for so many years, it was hard to let it go. (Actually it had taken me over, my life lived round my next drink, even though I went to work and thought I acted normally on the outside).

It took a jolt (not quite rock bottom but hanging on by my fingernails) which made me see myself for the first time and I didn’t like me, who I’d become.
After realising I needed to ditch the booze for my health and sanity, and I knowing I couldn’t do it on my own, too embarrassed to talk to a doctor I searched the Internet, found SR and been here ever since.

Nowadays I don’t crave or need a drink to feel better or for a crutch. My life is much better without it. But I stayed here because I’ve met many friends along the way and if I can help one person along the way, I’ll be happy.
thank you! If you don't mind me asking, have you been sober a while now? You guys are an inspiration.

I remember when I drank again in 2018 after 111 days I didn't plan on it. It happen so fast, so quick. Went to the beach. A beach bar with friends. This is after going to a bachelor party and not drinking. But something about that beach made me cave. Didn't stick to my plan. To early in Sobriety.

anyway, found a zoom AA tonight in California where I live. Enjoyed this group even though they are in SoCal and I'm in Bay Area. Hope they don't mind haha.

tomorrow is day 30.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:37 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh gosh a Kaily. I understand that nature and all species eat and hunt but I don’t like that side of it. I can’t watch nature programs because they seem to show the gory side.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:50 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi RUL,
I’ve been sober 7. 1/2 years. I did stop for 8 months 20 years or so and then had a drink at a theatre weekend visit in London and thought, yeah I’m fine with this. A few weeks later I was back to drinking heavy as before I’d stopped.

This time I had a different attitude. I said to myself I don’t drink. How could I keep sober. Because I know I couldn’t do it alone anymore. Acceptance I think.

I couldn’t go to anywhere that had booze when I first stopped. Even avoided the alcohol aisles in the shops. Steadily though it became easier. I worried if I went out for a meal or anywhere what would I say if offered a drink. I prepared myself with a stack of answers for any occasion. A good tool to have.

Nowadays I just say I’m not drinking. No reasons. I’ve found that some other people don’t drink too, not alcoholics, but normal people. It’s ok not to drink. And for me, a lifesaver.

I’m pleased you found a zoom aa meeting. I’m sure they’ll welcome you.

Please shout out if you need or want help. Anytime.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:54 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Oh gosh a Kaily. I understand that nature and all species eat and hunt but I don’t like that side of it. I can’t watch nature programs because they seem to show the gory side.
No nature programmes here either. Not until Lions start eating Quorn.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:55 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi RUL,
I’ve been sober 7. 1/2 years. I did stop for 8 months 20 years or so and then had a drink at a theatre weekend visit in London and thought, yeah I’m fine with this. A few weeks later I was back to drinking heavy as before I’d stopped.

This time I had a different attitude. I said to myself I don’t drink. How could I keep sober. Because I know I couldn’t do it alone anymore. Acceptance I think.

I couldn’t go to anywhere that had booze when I first stopped. Even avoided the alcohol aisles in the shops. Steadily though it became easier. I worried if I went out for a meal or anywhere what would I say if offered a drink. I prepared myself with a stack of answers for any occasion. A good tool to have.

Nowadays I just say I’m not drinking. No reasons. I’ve found that some other people don’t drink too, not alcoholics, but normal people. It’s ok not to drink. And for me, a lifesaver.

I’m pleased you found a zoom aa meeting. I’m sure they’ll welcome you.

Please shout out if you need or want help. Anytime.
thanks so much! I'd say I've been problem drinking for the last 8 years. I'm 35. A good chunk of time. I realize everyone's different, but the body is resilient. I think I'm young enough to turn this ship around.

thanks again.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:00 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Magsie

You really can RUL. I couldn’t believe how better I felt mentally and physically (no more hangovers, bloated ness) there is a lot of life to be had on the sober road!
Old 01-30-2021, 12:03 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post

Old 01-30-2021, 01:39 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

I hope everyone is keeping well. It's a quick visit from me this morning. I'm heading out to do some shopping then it's back to more housework. I'm feeling tired this morning and also feel slightly demotivated but once I get on with doing things I'm sure I'll spring into life. I hope!
Old 01-30-2021, 04:21 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

RUL, I hope you decide to make this a permanent decision to stay sober because all of us here who have some sober time can tell you it is WAY better on the permanently sober side. The beginning few months are alternately uncomfortable, awkward, sometimes confronting, sometimes just difficult but it's worth it.

Hey Mizz...there is a forum to read about/talk about the eagles. There's also the chatroll (it can be expanded on the pop-out) on the live cam page, but it's hard to follow and has a lot of unnecessary chatter.

Here's the latest 411 from the forum:

https://forum.hancockwildlife.org/vi...510&start=4560
Old 01-30-2021, 04:29 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post