Notices

Flow In, Flow Out, Weekenders, January 29 - 01 February 2021

Old 01-30-2021, 05:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Good Morning, ALL!
Thanks for the link, Bimini!

RUL- I am in Northern Cali as well. We are so glad you are here. Its gotta be hard with everyone chiming in wondering why you are not making quitting alcohol permanent? I've been on and off the fence more times than I can count. A member since 2012. What I do know to be true, for myself, is that alcoholism does progress and as we get older it does seem to take on a life of its own. There is nothing good to come of the drinking but we all had to discover this for ourselves.

No one can talk you out of or into anything but we can surely try Its unfortunate how hard it was for me to quit this last time. B.R.U.T. A.L emotionally, mentally and physically. I thought I had gone too far and there was no return. Luckily this forum, prayer, AA meetings (initially) faith and a structured daily and nightly plan set me free. I am almost 4 months sober and the difference is night and day. I have ZERO plans to take on that hell again. This forum saved me. Literally and metaphorically speaking.
Stick around. You can do this. You are doing this. You will be happy you did! Rooting for you!
Old 01-30-2021, 05:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hello to all. Early Saturday morning here in the Sonoran desert. On my second cup of coffee and the sky is starting to lighten in the east. I can see the outline of the mountains, yet still stars in the sky and coyotes yipping. I'm thinking it might be a good day to get the motorcycle out and go for a ride. Life is good when you wake up sober and refreshed.

Have a great rest of your weekend!
Old 01-30-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

^
sounds like a good plan for today advbike. Not only is life good waking up sober and refreshed, it's also good waking up and actully being able to make plans for the day rather than just lying around feeling hungover / ill.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Jealous of folks in warm weather locales! It is -10 celcius here in Toronto, which actually isn't too bad. Gorgeous sun today.

Just popping in to say felt food to wake up sober, want to get through the weekend sober. I am super tired today, though, I dont know why. I have a physio appt this morning and then I just want to take it easy.

Has anyone read any of Alan Carr's books? My doctor suggested it and I tried but so far I just find it irritating and full of fluff. I tried a free sample from Google books. The library has a copy but a waitlist.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:21 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Magsie

I read it years ago itsmaria, it didn’t help me at the time. It’s great waking up sober. Good feeling.

advbike enjoy your bike ride.

Hi Robbie, hope the deep cleaning is going well.

I always love the freedom of being able drive my car any time, one of the joys of sobriety for me.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

^
I'm nearly finished Mags. I'm having a tea break then will be finishing off what needs doing. Hopefully I'll get everything done today then I can relax tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:07 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Mr

It's always good to be here with you folks for another sober weekend.

That sounds like a great plan advBike a ride in the sun.

I agree with this : "I always love the freedom of being able drive my car any time, one of the joys of sobriety for me."

A simple banal joy 👍

Enjoy the rest of the day or night weekenders.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:28 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Another timely Opener, Mags. So, thanks for that.

I had to go with the proverbial flow last Monday. I got all packed, and the RV Trailer balanced/adjusted for the long Tow down to warm Desert temps around Hoover Dam/Lake Mead Nevada. Made it 58 Miles one way. Came back.

At a Road-side Turnout, I had just finished up a catch-up call with a former Work Pal. Fortunately. MesaPup had just tossed his Cookies in the large, cushy back area of my Truck; protected by Plastic Pads. I had to pry him out of the Truck to attempt a Puppy Pit Stop. Things went downhill. Fast. He was absolutely beside himself, and obsessed with somehow squirming back under the Truck. He almost got into the lower Belt/Fan Blade on the running 300 HP Truck Engine. Ya typically leave a Tow Vehicle running to cool it down. So, that standard practice has now been discontinued. It was all I could do to get the ~27 lb. [12 Kg.] Lil Monster back by yanking the Leash on his Travel Harness. Praise be to Zeus that everything held.

I drove to the next Town, and looked up a Colorado River-side Campground a Gal Pal from the local Dog Park told me about. Decided to skip that option since he has one more set of Vaccinations to receive soon. Only then is he safe around other Pups, and what Cooties they might be carrying.

Although we've done it *some*, the simple explanation is that he needs to take more, shorter Truck rides to ease into travel. He likes his Trailer Bed, so that's a non-issue. Simply a Training issue at 15 Weeks of age. No large deal, but quite unexpected. My focused, Sober State averted possible tragedy. Full Stop.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great opening post Mags
I’m a bit late this weekend, but I’m here and plan on a sober Sunday.
I found this lovely spot yesterday

Old 01-30-2021, 03:31 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Very nice Willow.

The puppy must have been very uncomfortable and frightened. Thank goodness he wasn't injured in all of that.

Second what Bimini said about permasober.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:41 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Vman, looking back now, it is an absolute miracle that I never got a DUI, or worse. So much energy expended on trying to manage the drinking for driving, meetings, whatever.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:55 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Magsie

MesaMan, it’s a shame you had to cut short your days away but I can imagine MesaPup may have been a bit afraid on the first trip out. Short journeys a great idea.. Sounds like he’s going to be a big dog.

Willow, great picture, it looks a lovely place to be. I’d love to walk through the water...unless there was any crocs?

CityBoy, I think the same thing! I thought I was sober at the time but

MantaLady, have you had a date to start your new job yet?

Old 01-30-2021, 05:33 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

No crocs there Mags, although we do have to be careful where we go swimming around here
Old 01-30-2021, 08:27 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Fantastic spot Willow!
Old 01-30-2021, 09:24 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

It’s freezing cold here this morning -3°C but at least I can see the stars, there being no cloud.

Willow, I won’t begin to think what you could be swimming with. I have a friend who moved to Australia and he often puts pictures of large spiders in his house on facebook. Bless. Cringeworthy

It’s a good feeling waking up sober, with no hangovers. I never tire of it.

We’re here all week too on Weekenders, you’re welcome to join in anytime.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:54 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!

Willow, that looks a lovely place, very calm and peaceful.

Mags, it's -1c here. It's forecast to be sunny all day with light winds and the temperature isn't going to get much higher. I've just hung some washing outside on the line, probably a bit of wishful thinking hoping it'll all be dry when I bring it back inside this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:06 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Vman, looking back now, it is an absolute miracle that I never got a DUI, or worse. So much energy expended on trying to manage the drinking for driving, meetings, whatever.
Same for me Cityboy. I drove several times so drunk that I had to close one eye so as not to have double vision.
I'm deeply ashamed of myself when I look back on it today.
I thank heaven that I didn't have any accidents, hurt or worse killed someone... (shaking head in disgust)

I'm grateful this is behind me today and only a nightmare sometimes in my dreams.

Have a good day Weekenders ☼
Old 01-31-2021, 03:45 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I won't even go into all the driving drama I created or was a part of in my drinking twenties. So many ways I should be dead. It seems to me I've used up all my chances with danger, accidents, and self-inflicted illness. I'm really grateful I never hurt anyone (physically) too.

MesaMan! I needed a spoiler on that puppy story. I was afraid it was going to be a bad ending. Poor little guy. Sorry your trip was delayed but those rocks have been laying right where they are for millions of years. I hope you figure it out - maybe there is a puppy-safe motion sickness med? I've never had a dog who didn't just love the car. Hugs to the Mesa family. Glad it all ended [fairly] well.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:13 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I never learned to drive because of my alcohol addiction. I started taking lessons in my early 20s but quickly stopped taking them when I realised that I had a problem with alcohol and was likely to be a danger to either myself or others. I always intended to start taking them again when I had my drinking under control... as that never happened long enough for me to ever get another provisional driving licence I still have never learned to drive and have long since given up the idea of ever doing so.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:10 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hey, Mags, did you get your Covid shot yesterday? Didn't you have it scheduled?