Notices

Christmas is coming Weekenders 11-14 December 2020

Old 12-11-2020, 12:05 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I have a very old, sore, blind cat that I just love. What do you do with the Vaseline? My poor kitty has major bum issues....glands and sometimes he can't poop. Does Vaseline help?
I don't know if it would help with gland issues. Also some vets say it's not a good thing to do, but my cat is on her last life.

You can also buy a malted jelly that is a formula for hair balls that is probably safer, but it's expensive. Here in the States it's called Petromalt, but there are other brands.

My cat gets constipated but her issue is not glandular, it's kidney dysfunction. I put a half teaspoon on my fingertip, open her mouth manually and smear the Vaseline on the roof of her mouth and she swallows it. If your cat doesn't like you to mess with his mouth, you can also put it on the tops of the front paws and they'll lick it off. Twice a day, 1/2 tsp each time.

She was having little rock-hard poops and now she's much better and will eat again and has normal poops. It helps with hairballs, too.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:15 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm giving him pumpkin every other day, and olive oil the other days. Both are supposed to help. I have tried walking him more, and getting him more liquids by moistening his dry food (he also gets wet food every day). I'd check his glands, but due to some sort of abuse before I became his mom (he was a rescue) he will NOT let me touch him back there. I'd need to muzzle him and get him restrained, which I am getting ready to resort to. I hate having to do that unless I really need to. I don't want him to hate me. But I think I'm going to need to pretty soon here. Currently he's sitting in his kennel next to me (door open, so he's choosing to be there) just looking at me so mournfully. But he's not whining like he was earlier. Don't know if that's bad or good. He was really animated earlier today and now he seems to have no desire to even move. But he's still bright-eyed. I just don't know. He has gotten this way before and been okay in a day or two. I just always worry.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I know, MLD. Poor boo.

I do the subcutaneous fluids every other day too...and meds and Maalox.

*sigh*

We loves them.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

That. Just be so hard, MLD. Hugs, friend.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Helllllooooo lovely weekenders, I'm with you, sober and smolder.
My hands are itching after having carried 6 dusty boxes with tons of books.
They all are on my shelves now, and it's full! I will have a sorting party tomorrow The bad news, I still have 3-4 boxes left
I also got rid of 4 trashes of all kinds of worthless crap that I have been keeping in my basement.
I hug you bunches SRenders, and wish you strength and serenity for the upcoming days.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
From my local news station:

https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...ving-travelers

I'm beginning to think people are fatally codependent. I'm certain this is one of thousands of similar stories. Why can't you say, "Not this year?"

I can't even. Where have people misplaced their rational thinking?? Why can't you/we miss one holiday season indoors with lots of people during a serious pandemic? Someone tell me how they can rationalize jeopardizing all of the rest of us so they can sit at a table with a bunch of family members - some of whom will be gone next year due to your selfishness.

I'm done with people. Is that a thing? Can I resign my membership in the human race now?

Kaily, no way my cat would agree to "the other end" Vaseline application.
Bim, I drove to our Community Mail Center a couple of weeks ago. I retrieved our mail, wearing a mask, and walked to the recycle bin (where 80% of our mail ends up) and a man came and stood within about 18” of me, unmasked, to do the same. I immediately started to walk away and he quickly called behind me inquiring if I was going to ‘bust his chops’ for not wearing a mask; I didn’t respond and continued walking to the car. I heard him mumble something about a conspiracy.

You don’t have to wander too far from the ranch . . . .
Old 12-11-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on finishing second in your class Lixie, I meant to post that earlier.

Thanks for the support. I am a sales person in the worst year to be one of those since about 1933

Good luck to all your respective pets bottom issues. I had to take suppositories myself some years ago. For all the good they did I might as well have stuck 'em up my ar...
Old 12-11-2020, 07:48 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Velvetee, you’re ticking off your list nicely.

Leigh, there’s nowt so funny as folk, I hear.

Sao, with your silver tongue I think you could sell ice to Eskimos.

Oh Marty, I hope the home remedies ease your doggie’s discomfort, bless him. . It’s horrible when they’re off colour.

Bim, I misunderstood how to use the Vaseline too.
That was an interesting link, Bim. I fear that’s what will happen after Christmas over here. Well I’m as sure as ‘dammit is to swearing‘.

Kaily, I hope Alfie and Daisy are learning to live together. I guess it’s a bit like marriage in a way. We let the guys think they’re the boss and all’s well. Bless.

My sister is calling over tomorrow, not coming in the house but just swapping cards and gifts outside, at a safe distance. Then I’ll be visiting step mums next week and stand in her garden to talk to her. The wheels of industry need to turn I guess.

Right I’m off to bring some more Ho Ho Ho into my life.

See you later, take care and be safe. xxxx
Old 12-11-2020, 09:28 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Yesterday I wrote and posted my cards, all two of them - phew what a relief to get that done!

Being reclusive has it's advantages.

But its lonely too.

Mags, Daisy n Alfie are doing better. The tension coming from Alfie in the first month that was so palpable, has thankfully gone. I felt so guilty for causing him so much stress. Daisy is very wary of him but hides under the sofa where he can't get her and gives him what for.

They will never be cuddle buddy's but hopefully friends.

Going food shopping at 6 am before the Saturday hordes hit the store.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:11 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, I just love the blue and pink harness leads. ❤️ You never know, I’m sure they’ll be closer as time goes by.
Enjoy your shopping. Best time to go, early on. Does it get really busy in shops now? I feel frustrated that I can’t go in shops yet,(Doc said not to) I miss M&S and Aldi and Home Bargains.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Yes the shops get very busy. They just seem let everyone in now, no more queuing outside. I went to Asda today, nice and quiet at 6. I did take my Dad to Lidl and Home Bargains a few days ago which were busy. He seems to be ignoring his shielding advice letter!

Hopefully Mags it won't be too much longer before you can shop again.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Morning, SRiends!

I just got my brekkie and it looks like the day will be very sluggish.
Mags, yep started ticking and had Napoleon's plans and now I think that I'll just hibernate

I think the shops will be packed this weekend.
Since I will celebrate Christmas alone this year because of COVID, no gifts, and that's fantabulous for my wallet

ANNNNNNDDDDD TAAADA.... it's 35 days and my 5th weekend sober. Stay strong everyone!
Old 12-12-2020, 01:41 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Congrats Velvetee!

Old 12-12-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Five weeks is huge, Velvetee. I never doubted you would make it stick!

K-Girl, (Kaily) I'm not even sending one Christmas card. Bah. That little Daisy is tiny!

Mags, you're really good at mentioning everyone. I'm really not-good at that.

I'm holed up as much as possible. I don't have a lot of faith that a majority Americans will do the right thing and get vaccinated. I guess time will tell, as with everything in life. I can hope.

It would be great if there was a Required vaccination card to fly or to be in school or at a job.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:34 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
Congrats Velvetee!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Five weeks is huge, Velvetee. I never doubted you would make it stick!

K-Girl, (Kaily) I'm not even sending one Christmas card. Bah. That little Daisy is tiny!

Mags, you're really good at mentioning everyone. I'm really not-good at that.

I'm holed up as much as possible. I don't have a lot of faith that a majority Americans will do the right thing and get vaccinated. I guess time will tell, as with everything in life. I can hope.

It would be great if there was a Required vaccination card to fly or to be in school or at a job.
Yes, Mags is awesome And thanks for the support!

I don't angry with you, this vaccination seems to be half-assed (+ we don't really know what's inside) and a lot of people experience side effects right now. As a person with an allergic background, I am not excited at all about being forced to get vaccinated to be able to see my family or to simply go out.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Perhaps you would see it differently if you were in your sixties. What do your older family members think?

It's complicated, Velvetee. I know that. In the U.S. I don't think people will be forced to take the vaccination. I will get it when it's offered to me.

Maybe "allergies" will be an exclusionary condition and you won't be asked to get the shot. As a young person I'd likely feel a lot differently about it too.

There is a lot we don't know about pretty much everything.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Magsie

Velvetee, Congratulations on 35 days!
I have allergy problems too and carry Epi pens so I don’t think I’ll be able to have the pfizer vaccine they’re giving out now and will wait for another one to come out. But I’ll definitely have it. Especially if it means I can get back to some sort of normal. If I was younger I probably wouldn’t have it though if I didn’t need it.

Bim, I try to mention everyone but my brain goes sometimes and get mixed up. The joys of getting older.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Greetings, all.

Kailey, your pups look so cute together.

Well done, Velvetee; your little meme is adorable

Mags, I hope that a vaccine suitable for you is available soon. This waiting stage has its own set of problems. Sigh.

I think that I will be eligible to get the Pfizer vaccine as my allergies are to pets (cats, quite severe though, for which I do carry an Epi-Pen), not to food, medicine or previous vaccines. I will let the medical professionals decide.

Okay, it’s Saturday; let’s do this sober thing so the Good Life doesn’t pass us by.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Alfie and daisy are very cute
Old 12-12-2020, 10:08 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope everyone does get vaccinated.

Congratulations on 5 weeks Velvetee!

He wanted £50. I said no.