Old 12-10-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm in for the weekend.

Love Olive and Mabel.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice pic Saou. It looks an interesting walk along the canal bank/towpath.

I saw on the news Dame Barbara Windsor has died. R.I.P. She had Alzheimer’s. So much of that disease around nowadays.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags

I'm in too for another weekend and week.

See you all later
Old 12-11-2020, 12:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Mr

Carrying this over from the last thread :

"I agree sao, one of the upsides to this pandemic is that it has helped, rather than hindered, my sobriety. I walk past the local pubs almost every day and while I would love to think that my not wanting to drink is down to my own resolve, it is made a lot easier by the fact that all the pubs in the entire region are closed and possibly will be for months to come. I don't feel like I'm missing out as everywhere is closed."

This year has saved my life. Covid got me sober. I'm sorry for all who suffered but for me it was the turning point.
It will be a year to remember for lots of reasons (or forget for some)
I'm glad you are doing well Robbie !

Well done to all celebrating any kind of milestone.
It is so important

Great OP Mags. You keep raising the (your) bar

Old 12-11-2020, 02:30 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
This year has saved my life. Covid got me sober.
Strong post Vincent, merci beaucoup

Thanks for this new chapter Mags ☼
Count me in for another sober weekend with your group!

Old 12-11-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It's Friday (right?) *looks at little computer calendar*

If you are one who has been lurking this site or this thread, join up and make this your First Sober Weekend. Posting here and reading here were big parts of my sobriety. Making a daily commitment to not drink in writing on this site is part of my discipline. It reminds me who I am in relation to alcohol. I have no business drinking.

I also joined a "Class of" thread back in 2014 and posted there daily. Here's the December of 2020 Class thread:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...er-2020-a.html

Just pop in anywhere and stop drinking. It is SO worth it, especially now when the whole world is stressed out. I'd far rather be a force for Good in my life, not a drunken, crying, arguing, drama creating mess. Being sober doesn't fix everything, but it sure makes fixing things a lot easier.

I like that canal photo, Sao. I'm still walking for an hour minimum every day. I have a good routine going and I'm keeping it simple.

Getting through the Holidays is always hard for me but this year I'm not out and around all the festivities so it's actually easier. I do better emotionally when I don't have a lot of external stimulation from people.

Forward we go.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:10 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Starting my third sober weekend. Survived my oral exam yesterday and finished second in my class.

Wish you all a great, sober weekend!
Old 12-11-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Friday? I'm really stressed out today. Huge work deadline that turned into an emergency on my part because other people couldn't be bothered to give me the information I need to get it done until late last night. I could have been working on it for days, but I actually couldn't even START until today. Grrr. Also, my dog is sick. Again. Man Friend acting like a bit of a jerk. So I have some stuff on my plate. I'll get through it. Without alcohol.

Bim said: "Being sober doesn't fix everything, but it sure makes fixing things a lot easier." YES YES a thousand times YES. See above. I can take care of all that stuff without completely losing it, unlike the bad old days when I would have been a complete wreck and then turned to a bottle. I'm annoyed and worried today, but I can get through it.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

You will get through it without alcohol, MLD.

I will say a little prayer.

Congrats on passing the exam and staying sober, Lixie. Step away from the cookies.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks for the prayer, Bim. I'll need it...
For the dog, mostly. I am pretty worried about him.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'll bet. Fur babies.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

If only he could talk... I think I know what the problem is, but I have tried what I know to fix it and it isn't working. Basically, I think he's really constipated. This is a recurring thing - and it might be his anal gland issue popping up again. He had an abscess last time he got really sick. can't take him to his regular vet because, for whatever reason, they don't do urgent care. The closest emergency vet I trust is in St. Paul, miles and miles from me. If he isn't better by this afternoon I'll take him over there.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I give my cat Vaseline twice every day. She has stool problems/won't poop or eat if I don't. She's old and has chronic kidney disease and it's just a stop-gap...usually anal glands you can feel a lump. (?)

There are OTC things that will help if it's not anal gland. I've heard pumpkin...but look online, some medical issues contraindicate pumpkin.

*edit. I'm sure you've looked. More prayers and hugs. Sometimes they fool us. I thought, "THIS IS IT" more times than I can count with this old cat.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Samantha

Dammit it's only Friday and I already feel defeated
Old 12-11-2020, 09:43 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good post Vinnie, you're not the only one anxiousrock, everything has been utter crap today.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Great post, Vman and Bim wise words, uplifting. It is good to hear a positive COVID related story, Vman.

Wow, well done, lixie on your Orals.

(((anxiousrock)); don’t give up. Pull out your tools; take in an online meeting; stay close to us. Once sobriety becomes a part of your core, it will be so much easier.

(((Sao))); sending love and care your way. You are always such an uplifting force here; hurts to see you having a crap day.

MLD, many prayers for your pup. It would be so great if they could talk. I have never had a pet due to allergies but a I have loved quite a few; it is so hard to see them not themselves. Bim’s idea re: Vaseline sounds worth a try.

and love to all.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:05 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Magsie

Lixie, 3rd sober weekend is great!

Samantha

Sao

Marty, I hope your dog is soon feeling better.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Vman it's great to hear you so positive.

MLD one of my previous dogs suffered from anal gland problems. My vet advised me to sprinkle bran on his dinner, it wasn't a miracle cure but certainly did help. Hope things improve quickly.

Bim I had never heard of cats being given vaseline, I looked it up. Before that I thought it was going in the other end.

Sao sorry you have had a rotten day. You too anxiousrock.

Even though the days are so short they seem incredibly long and gloomy. Anyone know a country that has spring like weather all year round? I don't want cold dark winters or sun that is too hot.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

From my local news station:

https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...ving-travelers

I'm beginning to think people are fatally codependent. I'm certain this is one of thousands of similar stories. Why can't you say, "Not this year?"

I can't even. Where have people misplaced their rational thinking?? Why can't you/we miss one holiday season indoors with lots of people during a serious pandemic? Someone tell me how they can rationalize jeopardizing all of the rest of us so they can sit at a table with a bunch of family members - some of whom will be gone next year due to your selfishness.

I'm done with people. Is that a thing? Can I resign my membership in the human race now?

Kaily, no way my cat would agree to "the other end" Vaseline application.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I give my cat Vaseline twice every day. She has stool problems/won't poop or eat if I don't. She's old and has chronic kidney disease and it's just a stop-gap...usually anal glands you can feel a lump. (?)

There are OTC things that will help if it's not anal gland. I've heard pumpkin...but look online, some medical issues contraindicate pumpkin.

*edit. I'm sure you've looked. More prayers and hugs. Sometimes they fool us. I thought, "THIS IS IT" more times than I can count with this old cat.
I have a very old, sore, blind cat that I just love. What do you do with the Vaseline? My poor kitty has major bum issues....glands and sometimes he can't poop. Does Vaseline help?