Notices

Welcome to Weekenders 23-26 October 2020

Old 10-22-2020, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Before I got sober I wanted to be a normal drinker, but found it wasn’t an option for me.

I didn’t know when to stop. No ‘OFF’ button it seemed.

I knew the only way was to stop completely.

Gosh, I remember those thoughts which were thrilling and terrifying too!

How would I achieve it? There must be a way?

I searched the internet and found SR(SoberRecovery site).

Here I read how people like me had sobriety and stayed sober....and happy.

Well I wanted some of that. Would it work for me?

I’d been a hardened drinker (not proud)

Could someone liked me do it..get sober forever?

The answer is Yes! It’s possible and within reach.

Being sober and staying sober was the greatest achievement of my life. Sobriety brings many opportunities.

Anyone can do this and maintain it. I know it is possible, it’s within reach of all of us.

If your doubting yourself, remember why you want to get sober. I can relate to the following words.

“I drank for happiness and became unhappy.I drank for joy and became miserable.I drank for sociability and became argumentative.I drank for sophistication and became obnoxious.I drank for friendship and made enemies. I drank for sleep and woke up tired. I drank for relaxation and got the shakes. I drank for courage and became afraid. I drank for confidence and became doubtful. I drank to make conversation easy and slurred my speech.

And I drank to feel heavenly and ended up feeling like Hell.”

Author Unknown

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)
Old 10-22-2020, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Count me in for another sober weekend!
Old 10-22-2020, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Shotgun!! Woohoo 🥳
Old 10-22-2020, 12:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Determined to make the whole weekend this time! I'm definitely in!!
Old 10-22-2020, 12:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun MantaLady

Devizes, sounds like a good plan.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

That excerpt sums it up perfectly Mags, have wrote it down in my journal as a short and sweet reminder of the reality of it all. Not sure I can say I ever wanted to be a “normal” drinker.. I think I wanted to be able to do it without the consequences in the sense that I wish I didn’t become a complete idiot, argumentative, inappropriate and make bad decisions, why can’t I be a nice drunk? Fact is I am not and that will never change, and I’ll never be able to have just one glass, ever! I never drank for pleasure, it was always in an attempt to try and quieten the noise of life or manage anxious feelings. When everything was going well and I felt happy and content I never wanted a drink.

Clocks go back this weekend, I always struggle with this change and wish they would just leave it alone lol

Anyhow, hugs to everyone x

Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, i'm in!

Thanks Mags, you do a terrific job opening this thread.

Congratulations on shotgun Manta.

Good to see you Devizes, for me it was hard to even imagine not drinking at the weekend let alone actually attempt it but once you manage it then the rewards are at their greatest.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy weekend everyone! God, 2020 is almost over. I won't be sorry to see the back of this abortion of a year, that's for certain. But I'm going to try and make the remainder of 2020 a great couple of months.

We just entered lockdown in Ireland for the next six weeks. It sucks **** but it's necessary. Our number of covid cases was growing very fast but thankfully we have had few deaths during this second wave. It's sad that everything is closed but we just have to make the best of it. I'm starting an exercise regime. I did week 1 day 1 of c25k yesterday and I'm going to do some Yoga with Adrienne today. I want to get in shape. I've gotten so fat. At least I don't have alcohol calories to worry about. My drink of choice was cider so it was loaded with sugar as well as alcohol.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

MantaLady, I struggle with the clocks changing too. I don’t know why but I always have.

Saou, thanks

FreedomFries, I’ve seen on the news that Ireland is going on lockdown. Hopefully this will be effective. An exercise regime sounds a good way to plan your time and keep fit.

I’ve got my injections to do soon so I’ll catch up in a bit. xx
Old 10-22-2020, 01:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow that’s a really powerful opening post Mags, thank you!
Count me in too please
Old 10-22-2020, 01:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend. I will actually do it this time too.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Reid Willow Phil you can do this a Phil. Do you have a plan in mind if cravings appear?
Old 10-22-2020, 02:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If they come during the day my plan is to take my dog for a walk or do some exercise. I plan on starting to redecorate my entrance hall and up the stairwells (painting) so that will keep me busy. If its in the evening it should be OK as I have no alcohol in my house and you cant buy any after 8PM right now. Secret weapon eating chocolate covered raisins. I used them before, eating them isnt the healthiest but it beats drinking.
I am totally confident that come Monday morning I will be on day 9.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This will be my first weekend sober since childhood. And I’m a nervous wreck about it!!! 😬😬😬
Old 10-22-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

That’s great Phil.

Hi TexasJohn, welcome to Weekenders. I was a long time drinker before I got sober. It can be done though.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

TexanJohn - you can do it! One moment at a time or whatever it takes. A drink brings us nothing. Mag, such a terrific beginning post. So needed to read it first thing this am!
Old 10-22-2020, 04:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Awake, good to see you.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't think it can be overstated how important it is to plug in somewhere every day if you're making any big life changes. Counseling, support group, something like AA, here on this thread or website. I made a commitment to post at least once a day. We all have a back-story. Sometimes I feel like talking about that stuff but mostly it's behind me and I've come to peace with it. Here on this thread we write about everything. It's a slice of life.

I made huge personal and life progress with my eating issues on a similar support forum so I knew this type of forum would be helpful to me. I posted here in my Class of March thread until everyone drifted away from the site and then found Weekenders but there are many ongoing threads on this site. I think a daily commitment is crucial to me. Every day I write somewhere that I won't be drinking. Doing it in the morning sets my intention for that day, and all I have to do is lay my head on the pillow sober and I have succeeded.

Welcome to Weekenders. I won't be drinking alcohol ever again so this weekend is just more of that. Drinking again would be so much more than foolish, it would be a personal betrayal. I'm not that girl any more. I made a promise to myself to take back my life.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i’m in for the weekend! it sounds so daunting but i have support (y’all’s and my spouse’s) and i’m working on a plan like some of y’all have mentioned so i won’t relapse. i feel a lil shaky about it but i also know i can’t keep going like i have been.