Notices

Welcome to Weekenders 23-26 October 2020

Old 10-23-2020, 11:12 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

The walk is still on Kaily and I am really anxious about it but will still go. It’s meeting new people that makes me anxious but I have to put my big girl pants on and just do it!

My county is in T3 Leigh and where I work has moved up to the same. The North West of the UK has really high rates and much worse than the rest of the country. It’s all wearing a bit thin now and we’ll stay in this tier for a month and then they will review it again. Just have to accept it and get on as best I can.

Not long till bedtime and I know I won’t drink tonight so will wake up hangover free on Day 8 in the morning. I got as far as Day 10 last time I had a week off but the day I went back to work I
picked up, work really sets me off. So need to have a plan in place for Monday x
Old 10-23-2020, 11:22 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Manta, just picture everyone in their underwear (on the walk and at work.) Work is the same for everyone, basically. It sucks but they give you money to do things their way.

Kaily, in my area there are walking AA meetings. The one I liked was called "One step at a time."

Meetups (the online groups) have walks, too. I wouldn't do one now, but it's an option. Most running or sporting clothing stores have lists of walking groups.

I like bird watching groups too - the local bird store has a whole list of bird-watching groups that go on regular nature walks, so does the Audubon Society. You think alcoholics are a bit odd, go on a walk with a birding group. Love them. Same with the zoo, crazy bunch of regular customers like me who really don't get on that well with people but love the zoo so we learn to tolerate one another.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I have been on some Meetup walks, not lately though as they are all too far away. I don't think twitchers would be very happy with me turning up with Alfie in tow.

Manta I get anxious too but it is so much easier when you are out walking. There are lots distractions, you can talk about the view if nothing else.

I used to have a friend to walk with. We would walk for miles and miles and talk about everything and anything. It was like free therapy for both of us. He was younger than me and now has a young family and moved away. I really miss that kind of friendship.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

What's a twitcher? Is that what you call the birders?
Old 10-23-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Once again Google saves the day.

Twitchers are aptly named, they are only interested in adding to their list of birds. Sounds twitchy to me. I just like being out in Nature, but yeah - some of them can be reallllllllllllllly obsessive.

**Edit** Speaking of. An eagle just flew by my window. The squirrels in my yard picking up acorns are very twitchy..
Old 10-23-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
What's a twitcher? Is that what you call the birders?
Yes, some birders are called twitchers. Maybe chirpers would be a better name..
Old 10-23-2020, 12:02 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

"bonjour les frites de liberté, comment ça va?"

That was funny. My mom was a college French professor. So yeah, I know some. Osmosis, mostly, although I did take it in high school and some in college. Having a mom who is fluent (and a teacher) was very intimidating, so I chose a different language to be "mine." I was a Chinese linguist in the army. I have really been thinking about getting that back - I had intensive language training for a year, and then brush-up courses for the next 10, but even so, I'd be hard-pressed to speak much now. My mom always says once you have proficiency with a language, it's all still in your head somewhere, and just needs coaxing out again. I should look into some of the online courses. That would be fun.

My state continues to be a covid hot spot. It drives me crazy to see people pretending nothing is happening. In my town it's not too bad at the places I actually need to go. We are SUPER careful on campus but even so, one of the students in my department did get it somewhere and we all panicked for a couple of days, because his mother (who he lives with) also WORKS with all of us. But amazingly, she didn't get it, and was able to come back to work yesterday after quarantining for 14 days. I work from home as much as I can, and only go places I have to go. I never went a ton of places anyway, but I do miss eating out with my man friend. And movies in movie theaters. I miss that too.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Britains best walks has just come on TV as we speak, we are going to Scotland this episode.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Yesterday the eagles on the live eagle camera in Florida brought a small turtle to the nest and left it upside down in the nest. The turtle flipped itself and walked to the edge of the nest where it promptly sky-dived to the ground below. No further news, but it's a grassy pasture, I bet it's fine. Go turtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smzm...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-23-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

That's is a super hero turtle. Too scared to look at the link.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

A Chinese linguist; MLD! that is very impressive.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Good night lovely weekenders xx
Old 10-23-2020, 01:38 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Sleep well, manta.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Friday night is here. Last week I was 3-4 beers in after work by now. I’m stocked up with carbonated drinks and snacks. Sober Weekend number 1, here we go!
Old 10-23-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Texasjohn, you can do it and you will be glad you did.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Heres to a sober weekend!
Old 10-23-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Welcome, Willbilly.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:14 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Magsie

TexasJohn, you can do this, great idea to have soft drinks at the fore.

Hiya Willbilly

Kaily love photo, it’d be nice if you could find another walking buddy.

Marty, wow, the Chinese language looks so difficult to master. I agree with your mum, it will be in your head somewhere in those grey cells.

Manta, I’m sure some people just don’t understand ‘2 metres (6feet) away’. It’s a mystery.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:44 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

My life is full of indecisiveness and self doubt. I chop and change my mind, usually multiple times a day. I put my 2 sofas on Ebay the other day as they have never been very comfortable (only 1.5 years old) and my back was killing me. Now someone wants to buy them and suddenly I am in love with them. Poor woman keeps emailing and wants to come tomorrow but I can't make a decision so haven't replied. I don't like messing people about and I drive myself mad!

Last time I did this I nearly got banned from Ebay as they thought I was up to something dodgy and trying to sell without paying their fees.

Maybe it is because I never have any one to discuss it with.

TexasJohn I hope you got through Friday evening and are ready for another day.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:36 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I do the exact same thing Kaily! I also wonder if I had people to talk to I might not go off on a tangent so much with these wonderful ideas I have that I then back out of so you’re not the only one xx

Wind is howling down the chimney and it’s wild outside this morning. Definitely a snuggle down day just a shame TV is rubbish and there is nothing to watch!! I’m on the dregs of Netflix now as well as have watched absolutely everything of interest, moved through the of mild interest section, started loads of series and gave up at the end of Ep 1...slim pickings!

Hope everyone has a good Saturday and a shout out to those who are on their first weekend sober xx