Notices

Welcome to Weekenders 23-26 October 2020

Old 10-22-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to Weekenders, cold stone ccs and TexanJohn. Nice to have you with us. We do this together and together we are strong.

freedomfries, you sound well.

A good Thursday to all.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

Great OP Mags, thanks. I have seen that quote before, and it is so true, at least for me. I chased those good feelings for so long - it finally sank in that I felt like hell, and I was so tired of it. Just his morning I had a flashback to a day when I was so hungover and sick from drinking the night before that I threw up into a plastic bag WHILE I WAS DRIVING to work. I had to go to work that day - I had already called in sick the week before from being hungover. And that was YEARS before I quit. Madness. Normal drinkers don't do that. And I am not going back to that sad, sick place. Ever again.

Devizes, Phil, you can do this sober weekend thing. Just keep trying.

Freedomfries, you have over a month now! Good going! An exercise routine is a wonderful idea.

Welcome, TexanJohn and stonecoldcc. This is a great and supportive place to hang out over the weekend (we are actually here all week, a new thread starts every Thursday morning). I've been here for years (almost 6!) and along with my other recovery support systems, these forums have really helped me.

More yucky weather here today. Rain and snow mix right now, and then changing to cold rain and sleet later. More snow coming this weekend. We went straight from a beautiful autumn (remember my kayaking picture from just a week and a half ago?) to winter, and I am not happy. It's very early for this. We are breaking snow records for the month of October. Ugh. Usually by now I am counting down to a tropical vacation in January, but not this year. I won't be traveling while the world is still dealing with the pandemic. It's a bummer, but it's also a first-world problem, and I'm grateful that I have a nice comfortable home, food to eat, family nearby, and a job I can work from home a lot of the time. AND SOBRIETY.
Life is pretty good.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great opening.

Great to see some new names. You can do it! If I can do it, anyone can. And in no time you will see how much better life is without alcohol, and wonder how on earth you could have done that to yourself for so long.

I tried pitifully to moderate for about 20 years. Each failure seemed to hack away at any minutia of control that was left.

The level of support here made all the difference in my struggle.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great post, MLD. Driving to work with a nauseating hangover was dreadful for me, too, as was waking up with it, as was that first cup of coffee, as was that first ‘swivel’ in my office chair, etc., etc., etc.

So glad those days are over.

CityBoy, my attempts at moderation were all failed disasters.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I used to fly in small aircraft with work a lot. Boy oh boy would I get nauseous in those small planes. Every time.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi stonecold, yes you can do it. I felt daunted too but it really does get easier. Grit through cravings and the further day 1 is, the better and easier it is.

Ooh Marty, I went through similar experiences going to work. Glad that’s behind us.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Phil!

Welcome Texasjohn and stonecoldcc! Mentally it is daunting in the beginning, the weekends being the time when everyone drinks. Once you can think clearly that not drinking is an opportunity, not a sacrifice that makes it a bit less daunting. Last but not least the benefits of waking up without a hangover are magnified at the weekend. The hardest time of the week is also the best time, I guess that's why this thread exists.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

thanks y’all! i’m working on an action plan/activities to do this weekend so i won’t just be sitting around thinking about it! talking to y’all is high on the list!
Old 10-22-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Erica375

MLD51 I got hit with a migraine the other day while out and had to pull over to barf. And I thought, Well, at least I have experience doing this! 😅😅😅😲

Speaking of migraines, I think I have to get my hair cut. I know from past experience if my hair gets too long it triggers them

Still, I'd rather have migraines than be hungover!
Old 10-22-2020, 01:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I'm in for the weekend! Welcome to all!

I just voted, and my wife will drop our ballots at the ballot box today. When we first moved here in 2004, we voted at a polling place in our village. Now, our state is all mail-in ballots, but there is also a drop box in the main town.

It's starting to cool down here, and we'll have our first freeze and first fire in the wood stove. So far, one 1500 watt oil filled radiator has been enough to keep the whole house warm, with outside temperatures around 50˚ F (10˚ C).

Old 10-22-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders
Lovely to see new faces, welcome to you all

It’s Friday morning here, and I’m off to work. But I’m looking forward to a lovely sunny weekend at home, getting some yard work done. See you all later
Old 10-22-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Cildfusion, my husband and I have voted already, by mail, along with millions of others on our State. Fingers crossed that voting occurs peacefully everywhere.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I voted the first morning of early voting, but that was just because I had to go to the court house anyway. It was full of people voting early.

Willow, hope you have nice weekend weather for the yard work.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I voted yesterday! Another way to keep moving for me! Short lines, in and out!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Old 10-22-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Erica375

Coldfusion, I'm very jealous! I'm in MA and had my a/c on today. Just for a bit, but still. I have it off now and a fan in the window. I have been squirrelling away kindling and twigs since last spring and I am chomping at the bit for a nice wood fire.

In spite of a migraine this morning, today was good. Two daughters and one SIL are visiting tomorrow. Very excited about that. It looks like our Covid numbers are going up so who knows what will happen in the future. All my kids live in MA so at least we don't have to cross state lines.

One daughter is a nurse and she and her bf already had it, mild cases but still scary to the mom.

Definitely need to stay sober to deal with the fiasco that is 2020.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Erica, sorry you have migraines love. They can be so debilitating. Good news your daughters and sil are visiting you.

Willow, have a good day at work, you’re probably into the afternoon now and thinking of the weekend ahead!

Hi to Captain Haddock, hope you’re doing ok?

Still dark her but the clocks go back Sunday as Manta mentioned earlier. I’m not sure if that means lighter mornings or evenings. I think it’s lighter evenings. Confusedotcom

Old 10-22-2020, 11:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Mr

Howdy Ho Weekenders

Mags thanks. I'm in evidently

Been in the office since well before light. It's been a pretty hectic couple of days. One of our major partners on our IT systems was hit by a very agressive cyberattack (ransomware ryuk if anyone is intersted, it's like digital covid) I have been pretty busy trying to abolish all links and connections to their IT systems and blacklisting all comms etc with this company...

Anyways havent had time to catch up but hope everyone is in good health and sober above all

Later weekenders !
Old 10-22-2020, 11:53 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Still dark her but the clocks go back Sunday as Manta mentioned earlier. I’m not sure if that means lighter mornings or evenings. I think it’s lighter evenings. Confusedotcom
No ma'am, the evenings will get dark "earlier" once the clocks go back to their proper time. Mornings will be lighter
Old 10-23-2020, 12:27 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Happy Friday everyone! Just back from a run so have that sweet runner's high. Weather's a bit miserable and wet but at least it's not too cold.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

Caramel, that’s good news for me! I like the lighter mornings.