Notices

Baby Steps 18 - 21 September 2020 - WEEKENDERS

Old 09-21-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

$1600 oil change.

Well, it will be once I go back and get all four struts replaced. You guys (Sao?) who know cars...I have a Subie Forester, one of the front struts has just started leaking. Can I replace just the front two and worry about the back two later? She gave me two prices....$800 for two, $1600 for all four, but she recommended doing all four. On four wheel drive does it really matter if I do two or four? I am leaning toward just doing the front two.

I dunno. I have driven it 2100 miles since last November...maybe it can wait a little while? Yes, twenty-one hundred miles. Since lockdown in March I really haven't been driving hardly at all.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

...and yeah, sugar affects my moods and not in a good way, Willow. I hope you feel a difference.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better today soberclover

D
Old 09-21-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
saoutchik

As long as there is no problem with the rear struts then replacing just the front set should be fine but it does sort of depend on the mileage they have done. I would ask why they recommend replacing all four. The advantage would be that they are unlikely to fail again for the lifetime of the vehicle but with your low mileage I would go for just the front pair.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Thank you for the various mentions - last week was definitely a success. Congrats Willow on your 90 days - very well done. But, ahh, sugar... I'm having to be careful here. Thinking orange juice was harmless enough I bought a carton while I was away and now I'm craving it every day.... not good. Along with the birthday cake last week and cookies in the hotel my sugar consumption has been rising.

I'm starting to think more about the future now. If I can survive the next 10 days I'll have made it to the end of the probationary period of the new job. My employers have made it clear that I'm required on projects for at least for the next couple of years so I can think about putting down some roots, or at least saving to do so. While I was freelancing (and drinking) I couldn't do this. Now I have in mind a list of aims - a job, a car, a house of my own, maybe finding a companion along the way... All possible with sobriety I hope. We'll see.

Anyway, keep fighting the good fight dear friends. I'm off to bed. Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
As long as there is no problem with the rear struts then replacing just the front set should be fine but it does sort of depend on the mileage they have done. I would ask why they recommend replacing all four. The advantage would be that they are unlikely to fail again for the lifetime of the vehicle but with your low mileage I would go for just the front pair.
Well the car has 120,000 miles on it.

Gentle miles, I'm a little old lady remember. None of them have been replaced. I could do them all, but it's gonna be some other $1000 repair next oil change of course. Hoping to have income before then. I ought to just bite the bullet.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:39 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

"Why change all four?" She said it's always best to do them all at once, performance wise and to keep everything moving well together. All I can think is when my knee hurts, suddenly my back is out and my hip is out....trying not to attribute human stuff to a car, so that's why I asked you guys.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:51 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Well done on your 91 days Willow. Isn't it great when you see the time accumulate? It certainly helps keep me sober.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
"Why change all four?" She said it's always best to do them all at once, performance wise and to keep everything moving well together. All I can think is when my knee hurts, suddenly my back is out and my hip is out....trying not to attribute human stuff to a car, so that's why I asked you guys.
Ha maybe you could give the car some Glucosamine. Sorry I have no sensible advice, going to the garage always scares me as I have no idea what they are talking about.

Seems lots of us are struggling with sugar cravings/problems. It does seem very unfair not to be able to have the occasional cake without starting off the monster. Seems it is another thing that can't be moderated. Makes life a bit bland. It's that reward mentality, I deserve a treat.

It got me thinking about dogs - some are just hungry all the time, then we give them a treat, one biscuit or similar. It must set of their cravings hence the constant scrounging. Luckily Alfie isn't really a foodie and is content with his ball.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:34 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Bimini, sorry about your vehicle issues. Afraid I can't offer any supporting information about that model. Maybe there is an online resource for asking about subarus. Ask the shop people if it would be helpful to go ahead and change all four tires as well [sarcastic].
Old 09-22-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Bimini, sorry about your vehicle issues. Afraid I can't offer any supporting information about that model. Maybe there is an online resource for asking about subarus. Ask the shop people if it would be helpful to go ahead and change all four tires as well [sarcastic].
Right? Funny you should say that, the first hit on Subaru forums about Forester struts came from a person who was told just that - struts and tires. Subarus are already Special Snowflakes with the whole tire thing. Replace one, replace all at the same time. I actually trust my independent Subie mechanic. I just don't think it's critical - yet. She didn't say it was...but $1600 is something that's gonna hurt no matter when it happens, and the technician did write, "Soon," on the report.

Thanks Kaily and Cityboy for wanting to help. Of course I woke up at 2:30AM running through all my problems in a loop (this is just one more life-maintenance issue right now) and can't go back to sleep. One thing like this will set me off for a couple days until I make a decision.

NO tequila OR ice cream will be had. I am an adult. I can figure this out!
Old 09-22-2020, 04:08 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Well done on your 91 days Willow. Isn't it great when you see the time accumulate? It certainly helps keep me sober.

Ha maybe you could give the car some Glucosamine. Sorry I have no sensible advice, going to the garage always scares me as I have no idea what they are talking about.

Seems lots of us are struggling with sugar cravings/problems. It does seem very unfair not to be able to have the occasional cake without starting off the monster. Seems it is another thing that can't be moderated. Makes life a bit bland. It's that reward mentality, I deserve a treat.

It got me thinking about dogs - some are just hungry all the time, then we give them a treat, one biscuit or similar. It must set of their cravings hence the constant scrounging. Luckily Alfie isn't really a foodie and is content with his ball.
I just Googled glucosamine yesterday - my cat is arthritic.

And no one obsesses the ball like a Jack.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I just Googled glucosamine yesterday - my cat is arthritic.

And no one obsesses the ball like a Jack.
I used to give it to Matilda, now I am considering it for myself and for Alfie. We both have arthritis. I am not really a believer although some people swear by it. I always think if it really worked Dr's would be prescribing it.

I hope you find something that helps your cat feel better.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim,I hate going to garages, I always felt they were trying to rip me off.

Kaily, I love the picture gif.

Forwards, good plans for the future. Sobriety helps open doors that we couldn’t get through very well, when we drank.

I’m beat now. Since 7 this morning (it’s now 1.30pm ish) I’ve been clearing stuff out. Takes me longer nowadays, I need to sit down when I run out of puff, with the asthma, very frustrating.

See you later. xx
Old 09-22-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Afternoon Weekenders!

Belated happy birthday, Forwards. You can give yourself a pat on the back for having come so far in your sobriety. I seem to remember one of your posts in the early days when you related how terrible it was for you to have a seizure while on public transport (I think it was a bus or train).

Bim, I have a Scoobie Forester too and it’s been a pleasure thus far. I’m not very mechanically minded, but agree with Sao’s advice. The official service stations always try to convince you to replace things that still seem to be working fine. When uncertain, my decision is often based on whether not replacing a specific part may lead to a breakdown or damage to other components.

Good job, Willow and nice to see you soberclover.

Kaily, its good to see you posting as usual again. I love seeing the pictures of your and Alfie’s walks. You are privileged to live close to such beautiful retreats. Sorry to hear of your inconsiderate neighbors the other day.

Good luck to all those that are dealing with sugar cravings. I’m one of them and have been overindulging in lemon cream biscuits and things like jelly beans.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Thanks Captain and Kaily. Mags, feel free to come do some throwing-out at my place. Papers. They multiply, right? I'm glad for the online billing and paying these days. No more mail and accumulation of paper.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:11 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

bim - I would just replace the fronts. do the backs if/when they need it.

I've had things flagged up on MoT's (government-mandated annual inspection) that I haven't got fixed, & then there was no mention of them the next year, so go figure.

120k miles on a Forester is barely run-in

Old 09-22-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Thanks, andyh. Where have you been hiding? Nice to see you.

I'm strongly leaning in that direction and I'm so glad I brought it up here. You guys have eased my mind a lot.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think it's the default advice to do all 4 of anything anywhere near the wheels when you are dealing with an all-wheel drive vehicle. For some things I can see why, especially on a newer car, but other things, not as much. I have been told so many times that I should do all 4 of something on my CR-V by one mechanic, and then told it was not necessary by another. Like brakes. I have not had all four of my brakes done at once yet. I think struts are in that same category - I would not think it's necessary to do them all at once.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
Hello, Weekenders - Coming here to SR out of habit when I'm feeling in a funk. I think I've narrowed it down to a change happening here in the weather in the deep south. It's been vicious hot and now much cooler. For some reason I'm really tuned in to weather changes and it is a drinking trigger when weather gets cooler. I think it is from years of living in Vermont and hunkering down for the winter. Plus I'm as all, beyond sick of the limitations due to the restrictions. I miss my family so much because I can't travel. My father had a heart attack and a pacemaker put in and my son got married and I wasn't able to be there. Blah blah blah. I'm done whining. I'll eat ice cream and head to bed with my book, and I'll wake up with a much more positive attitude.
Good to have you with us, soberclover. COVID has made a mess out of so much. I am sorry that it has interfered in such important ways for you.

Stick around Weekenders; here for you.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Bim, I found a good article on struts. Hope it helps.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qScNIHZsQntPBP