Notices

Baby Steps 18 - 21 September 2020 - WEEKENDERS

Old 09-19-2020, 12:12 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Dear Weekenders,

Thanks Mags for the thread. Baby steps have got me as far as I have come and I am most grateful.

It has been my Birthday week this week and I was sent on a business trip on my own for the first time in the new job. I had to visit an important customer and diagnose and fix their multi-million pound computer system. This all went fine and there were congratulations all round. This being SR though you can guess what my real concern was... How would I cope on my own in a hotel in a strange city. Would I have thoughts of drinking?

In the end it was fine. After work I went for a beautiful sunset stroll around the harbour. I stocked up with sandwiches and soft drinks and returned to my hotel room for an early night. I wasn't even tempted by thoughts of drinking. The hotel gave me a big cooked breakfast in the morning and I worked for a bit and got the train home.

In other major news my medical assessment by my employer has gone through OK, despite the mention of my past drinking. This is a huge relief as it opens up many more opportunities for my future with the company. All of this was only possible and only possible given sobriety. I cannot stress enough to everyone reading that long term sobriety really is the gift that keeps on giving!

Nice to see almost all of the gang here this week. Hi Bekind and Patcha - good to have you here. Warm wishes to all as always. Forwards.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:10 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday and congrats Forwards

D
Old 09-19-2020, 03:38 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Magsie

Patcha, oh sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick. Glad you worked through and kept sober.

Kaily, must be difficult for you with your dad. Sounds like you know how to react well to him though. Have you been for a drive in your car with Alfie again? On the 24 thread Kenton was saying she went to Black Park and they were filming new the Jurassic Park film. She didn’t see any dinosaurs though. It would be a surprise if you saw a T.Rex’s head through the forest.

Forwards Happy Birthday , and congratulations on your medical assessment..

Willow, say hi to Jonathan on the beach if you see him.

going to try to back up my mobile now. I need a new battery for it. I’m booked in on Wednesday morning. The life is only 3-5 years I read on internet. Our internet speed is doing baby steps!

See you later. xx
Old 09-19-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I thought my battery had died too, Mags. I had been playing on the internet on my phone and I think something was still running in the background, though I had deleted the info from the browser.

I turned off the phone over-night for two nights in a row and it is fine now. Yeah, they say 500 cycles. My iPhone is 6 years old.

If I saw a TRex's head popping out on a walk I'd never walk again. Can you imagine?

Sober Saturday morning never gets old. Forwards, really well done on your work trip and staying on the sober side. You too, Patcha and Kaily with your parent challenges. They can be testy. Now that I'm getting old I understand the struggle. It's scary thinking every little ache or pain could be it.

It rained, ya'll. The air quality is back in the green. Thank you, I do not mind one bit wearing a rain jacket and taking an umbrella on my walk today. Prayers for all affected by the fires in the western half of the U.S.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:15 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Well I have had lovely day. Alfie and I took our respective hip medications and headed of for Invinghoe Beacon in the Chiltern Hills, about an hours drive from home. I had forgotten how beautiful it is and the weather was perfect although very windy at the top!

I didn't want to come home.

It was just exhilarating.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Alfie thinks so, too! A walk in the countryside makes all of life a thousand percent better. Awesome pics.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks Bim. The only thing missing was some human company. Where were you?
Old 09-19-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Thanks Bim. The only thing missing was some human company. Where were you?
I wish I could go with you. Truly. I was sleeping...it's 6:30AM here.

Maybe I'll take a picture today.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Ah, rain sweet rain. And the gift of a clear, clean breath.

Kaily, some days I feel as though I am living vicariously through Alfie. I just love his ‘point of view’.

Have a great day, all.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Samantha

Trying to stay sober but I'm so frustrated and stressed, its hard.
I feel like dancing off the stress but i only dance after a few drinks. Bleh.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:17 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

(((anxiousrock))) . How about an energizing walk? Might be fun to imagine yourself dancing as you go. Let your mind be released.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

That looks like a beautiful place for a walk kaily
Old 09-19-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Forwards, I stay in hotels while working sometimes and used to take full advantage of it as an opportunity to get royally wasted. Now I would rather just drive home if less than two hours, or just get takeout and read.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:50 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Sorry Forwards, I forgot to wish you Happy Birthday, so excited was I about my day out. You're a shining example of what can be achieved with sobriety, your posts are so positive and reflective. Very inspiring.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

, Forwards!
Old 09-19-2020, 01:38 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Forwards! Well done on staying sober during the work trip. As Cityboy said, I’ve used work trips as an excuse to get plastered in the past. No more . I don’t have that job anymore either, and don’t go on work trips anymore.

Kaily that looks glorious! I’m so glad you and Alfie had such a lovely day.

Anxiousrock, can you maybe get a dance routine for when you’re sober? Like a dance workout kind of thing? Just an idea. It seems like there are a few fun fitness dance options. And maybe if it’s a bit different to your usual style of dance, you could make a new sober dance habit that will give you some stress relief?

Sober Sunday morning here and I need to get moving. Catch you later weekenders
Old 09-19-2020, 01:39 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
A walk in the countryside makes all of life a thousand percent better.
Yes!
Old 09-19-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

A belated Happy Birthday Fowards!
Old 09-19-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy Birthday Forwards! Well done on your successful business trip. I suspect the Covid restrictions and lack of city "buzz" actually reduces the lure of drinking a little.

Sorry you're feeling grumpy Patcha but congratulations on 12 days, that's worth protecting and extending.

You too anxiousrock. You're right, it is hard but if you hang in there long enough it will get easier.

enjoyed your photos Kaily, it was a fine day in London. Sorry about your dad, that sounds really annoying.

I never really noticed it before but that slug DOES look like it is posing. It is the Kendal Jenner of the gastropod world.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, Forwards.