Notices

Baby Steps 18 - 21 September 2020 - WEEKENDERS

Old 09-18-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Beautiful wildlife photos; thanks. I think that I see the ‘expert at camouflage’ Adder, Sao, or some of it.

Love the tomatoes, too, Vinny.

Good to see you, Kaily!

Love to all.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks for drawing me in on the diving talk Mags, you know I cannot resist it!!

when I first learned I was all about the fish and marine life, loved it! Then after a few years got the chance to do some reef research data in the Seychelles but it was all about coral. I’d never really took much notice of coral and spent most of my time chasing the fishes. But coral captivated me, so intricate and so beautiful. I could spend most of my dive upside down just investigating a meter square and the wonderful things I saw...missed the sharks and bump head parrot fish circling round me as I was fixated on the tiny coral.

The blue hole in Belize is a dream to dive as is the blue hole in Dahab Egypt! As long as the dive operator is safe then you’ll have a great time. x

Old 09-18-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I also did my qualifications in the ocean in Egypt, no pool classes and straight in the sea. It was scary but can say it’s the best thing I have done in the past 20 years. I have often thought of going to Placencia in Belize for a few weeks just to dive. It has some of the best diving in the world x
Old 09-18-2020, 08:20 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Manta, what fantastic and beautiful experiences you have had. So wonderful.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi MantaLady, wow, it sounds like a good plan to go diving again. Sounds like you’ve seen a wonder of the sea world. Good to see you.

Hi Leigh hope you’re well.

Snoozy asked me to post her picture, Gorgeous as they are, they don’t do it justice. It’s absolutely stunning.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

^^^^^. Gorgeous, indeed!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Freedomfries, MantaLady and SnoozyQ.

Yes my Adder pic is only some of him/her - I would say it was over a metre/yard long, big for this country.

For Willow and anyone else who couldn't see it here is bim's slug pic.

Attached Images
Old 09-18-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

The slug looks like it's almost posing for the picture...
Old 09-18-2020, 12:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

There was a dog bitten by an Adder a few weeks ago at one of the places I walk Alfie. He did recover but it was touch and go for a while. There seems to be a lot of them about this year.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the slug pic Sao, what a cute slug!

Bim I’m not sure where the spoiler section is, I tried clicking on the words spoiler in your post but it didn’t do anything. I’ll look around the forum later, I don’t know much of what’s out there except newcomers and the daily support threads. I haven’t really ventured very far, I get caught up where I am and run out of time

Great to see you Manta

Kaily and Sao for some reason I didn’t think there were snakes in the UK. Like NZ. I learn so much here!

Gotta dash because I’m working this morning. I’ll be back later.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Willow - apparently there are three species of snake native to the UK: adder, grass snake and smooth snake. Only the adder is venomous though the last person to die from a snakebite in the UK was as long ago as 1975

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/shoul...sh-snakes.html
Old 09-18-2020, 05:43 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Slugs and snakes.....sounds like the title of a children's book.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:27 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I am sober but grumpy and out of sorts.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:30 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Magsie

Patcha, hope your day gets better. I have times when I’m out of sorts and don’t have a reason for it.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Only the adder is venomous though the last person to die from a snakebite in the UK was as long ago as 1975
Maybe we are due for another.

Every cloud - I guess if we are back in lockdown we won't get bitten by a snake!

Impressive amount of tomatoes, Vinny, careful you don't overdose on potassium. Mine were very poor this year, I don't know why.

Well done on getting that pic Mags, I know how shy those **** are.

Those Kookaburra are handsome birds Willow.

Since my Dad has been ill I have been doing his washing for him. This week he accused me of losing some of his underwear. He is adamant it is me that has lost them. Nothing like being grateful! I obviously haven't, but there is no telling him. He actually said " its okay I'm not cross". It is very hurtful, he never says thanks. Even gets me to buy alcohol for him irrespective of my battle with alcoholism.

I need some space, he triggers me...

Anyway I think we are going to have another sunny day so I will go somewhere nice with my little buddy.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Patcha, hope your day gets better. I have times when I’m out of sorts and don’t have a reason for it.
Oh I know why I'm out of sorts! It's because it's day 12 and I am not going to have a drink!

I stomped crankily to the store and purchased snacks and some groceries for a friend I'm visiting tomorrow. Then I stomped crankily home and ate some chicken.

*grumble grumble*
Old 09-18-2020, 11:00 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Since my Dad has been ill I have been doing his washing for him. This week he accused me of losing some of his underwear. He is adamant it is me that has lost them. Nothing like being grateful! I obviously haven't, but there is no telling him. He actually said " its okay I'm not cross". It is very hurtful, he never says thanks. Even gets me to buy alcohol for him irrespective of my battle with alcoholism.
I hear you. Dealing with ageing or ill parents is hard. My dad has dementia and my mother isn't much better some days but still functioning under her own steam. I bought her a house so she could live next to my brother (dad is in a nursing home) and my brother spent six months renovating it for her, and her thanks was "you kids will be glad when I'm dead and you don't have to worry about me any more." It's crazy making. No wonder I want to drink!
Old 09-18-2020, 11:01 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I had to scroll up to find the slug and I must say they are a fine looking slug indeed!
Old 09-18-2020, 11:06 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks Patcha. Sorry you are struggling today. Don't give in, it will pass. Hopefully you will have a nice time with your friend tomorrow.

If I was drinking I would be avoiding my Dad like the plague as I would be just too vulnerable to cope. So at least sober I am trying to do the right thing, difficult as it can be.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:57 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thanks Robbie, I had no idea. I really thought the UK was snake free.

Patcha and Kaily I really feel for you both. You’re both doing a wonderful job caring for your parents ❤️

It’s Sat arvo here and I’m feeling rather grumpy too. Perhaps I’ll go for a walk, I haven’t been doing much exercise lately.
In fact I’m going to go right now!
Seeya later weekenders