Notices

Miserable. I cannot stop.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Administrator

why? Alcoholism is progressive.
Many of us find once we pass a point there's never any way to go back.

I think this would be a great time to come clean with your mom and stop those dangerous nightly drinks PB.

D
Old 06-24-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

yeah, butterfly - I would tell Mom I was done with wine for a while. Then just don't drink with her. You don't have to make it a big "thing." Just say No.

Sounds cliche, but that's really all there is to it. If she starts in on you, say, "No, thanks," again.

I don't use any further explanation other than, "I feel better when I don't drink."

I had to do that over and over for years with my family. They continued to offer me drinks long after I'd quit. Doesn't matter what they do. I don't drink.

You can stop, as a matter of fact you can call your last glass your last glass ever. At some point we all did that. You can too.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:36 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Tell your mom. I might be way off base here but maybe your mom has problem drinking too? There has been times that I have rejected a drink from someone thinking it might seem bad only to have them open up that they wish they could do what I just did. Either way, just keep posting here. We are not going to judge, only help.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Surely your mother would understand you not drinking as you have a newborn baby. I hid my drinking from my mother when my son was a baby
Old 06-24-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you drank last night, PinkButterfly. I'm sure you're discouraged, but I'm glad you're back.

One of the hard things in early recovery is making lifestyle changes that you need in order to support your recovery. I found out the hard way that I could not be around alcohol or people drinking at all. I hope you can accept what you have learned through this experience and put the knowledge into your recovery plan.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hey Pink, I’ve been following your thread because I can relate to so much of what you’re going through. I wish I had quit drinking when I was at the same point you’re at, but I didn’t end up quitting until about a year and half ago, with my kids ages ranging 9-20 at the time I quit. It’s not like my life was a constant living hell the whole time I was drinking, but damn, things are so much better now.

You can do this. Your kids are tiny, they never have to know what you’re like drunk. When you crave, it sucks, but you can ride it out, using the strategies posted around this forum. (Personally, I used walking as a distraction from my cravings. And Annie Grace’s books helped a lot, but there are a lot of great suggestions around here.)

As for your mom, I don’t know how open you are able to be with her, but you can tell her as much or as little as you want. You can say you want to avoid alcohol because it messes with your very valuable sleep, say you’ve decided to start a health kick, or that you’ve been getting headaches, whatever. You can tell her you have a problem, or you can keep it to yourself; all that matters is that you set that as a boundary and stick with it.

Anyway, I’m glad you’re posting here. You have the self awareness needed to kick this bad habit before it turns into a bigger problem. And it’s so worth it. I can’t even begin to tell you.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:06 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Made it 2 days! I feel amazing! Cravings have come and gone and I have been riding out the waves. Very tired but so at peace. I told my mom very little just that I really need more sleep than I’m getting and she didn’t question it! Thank you for the support!
Old 06-25-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Yay!
Old 06-25-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Just caught the thread. My support to you PBF.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Congrats pink!!!

How long is your mom with you? Glad she is there to help you out. That is great that you told her you need more sleep (which is really the truth with the little ones!)
Old 06-25-2020, 07:03 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bumblebee2 View Post
Congrats pink!!!

How long is your mom with you? Glad she is there to help you out. That is great that you told her you need more sleep (which is really the truth with the little ones!)
she is leaving tomorrow! Feeling sad about her leaving as she lives pretty far from us and we don’t see her as much as I would like! It has been a relaxing evening and I found tonight I wasn’t even tempted by her drinking wine because I already feel so much better physically I don’t want to go there at all! Hoping for better sleep tonight!
Old 06-25-2020, 08:00 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hi Pinkbutterfly,

I just went through your thread. Sorry to hear what's going on, especially with you being a new mom. Last year my wife was expecting and we lost the baby early in the pregnancy. Her hormones were fluctuating severely, and I can only guess it would be similar after having a baby. Probably even more so. Try not to beat yourself up, feel ashamed. It sounds like you have a specific situational drinking thing going on. Its hard to stop in part because everytime you drink your getting a hit of dopamine, if your feeling depressed and anxious that hit helps but then fades. I guess what I'm saying is a lot of this is simply biological. Good to hear your husband has been supportive. Dont be ashamed to tell your family and close friends your not sleeping, feeling anxious, and even struggling with alcohol. I bet they will understand. My wife looked around online after her miscarriage and found some women to talk to. I bet if you looked, you'd find your not the only new mom dealing with this.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:29 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you again Pinkbutterfly! Glad things are going well and that you are quit again!
Old 06-26-2020, 12:01 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Great news Pink -many congrats on day 2
Old 06-26-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Enjoy those awesome babies on this sober day Pinkbutterfly. I hope you have a great day and a great weekend.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Day 3 starting out with a cup of coffee with my husband and enjoying a little quiet before everyone wakes up. Feeling so grateful to wake up sober and alert and not shaking! Ready for another sober day!
Old 06-26-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

This is so excellent. You're doing really well.

I'd say start thinking about future events that may tempt you. Once I started feeling better I still didn't go to parties or bars where the main reason to be there was to drink. People are going to offer. Be ready!

Well done.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:03 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Pink, join our June quitters thread. All of us have quit within this month and it is a great place. We are all supporting each other and many are at a week or less. I had never really explored those "Class" threads but now realize that is the main place I should be.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:51 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Here's that thread Max mentions above:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html
Old 06-26-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

You are doing great, PB! You will NEVER regret that you’ve stopped drinking while your kids are young.