Notices

Miserable. I cannot stop.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

You just have to power through it.

Every time you drink you delay your healing.

Withdrawals get worse the longer you drink.

Here's a good article about that (kindling)
https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf

Old 06-18-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Like sugarbear said, create a program of recovery and use it like your life depends on it. You can take aspects of any or all programs out there and tailor it to fit what you need; it just needs to keep you sober.

Like Dee always says, please come here before you drink and let us talk you off the ledge. I can guarantee none of us will say it's a good idea.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

17 hours since my last drink! One hour at a time!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:59 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

We are all different but the way I made it through first two weeks was to eat. A lot...like whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. It was my reward for not drinking; it filled me up so I didn't want to drink as much; it gave me something to do. I cooked, I ate, I shopped for food, I ate. I didn't feel bad for eating so much because I knew getting those two weeks under my belt was necessary.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job, PinkButterfly. We're here for you.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:15 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I am glad to hear you're at 17+ hours, butterfly.

Come here and ask for someone to talk you down if you get anxious and start thinking about a drink.

There is literally ZERO reason to pick up a drink. The anxiety is caused by the withdrawal.

Ice cream cures cravings.

Rocky Road? Even better. Insert your own joke here __________________________________.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly20 View Post
17 hours since my last drink! One hour at a time!
Hang in there. Just keep throwing an hour at the withdrawal and your anxiety will settle.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

19 and a half hours! About to eat lunch then take a nap while the kids nap and my husband minds the monitor!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I hope your day is going well with those lovely babies PB. Your ability to connect with them and be present for them 24/7 is surely more difficult if you drink. I am really rooting for you, and I'm certainly not judging you. I lost all of the years that my daughters were tiny and I can never get those back. It damaged them so much. There are wounds that I inflicted on them by being an active alcoholic that will never fully heal. That is something I will have to walk with for the rest of my days, but you can do it differently than me. Wishing you strength and peace and health.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

24 hours! Done! Getting dinner on the table for my family then going to bed early and my husband is going to do the night feedings for the baby tonight so I can hopefully get some sleep. Thank you thank you THANK YOU for the support today!
Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Hi pinkbutterfly

Your situation and story have a lot of similarities.
2 young kids, exhausted, anxious and tired
starting to drink again immediately delivering my baby
unable to stop, drinking to stop the shakes
afraid to tell my husband

I have been sober for 2 years now. I struggled for a long time, trying to quit for good. I would sneak and hide drinks from my husband. I finally quit when my youngest was 3, and my oldest was 5. I can remember my youngest asking my why my hand was shaking. And making promises to myself over and over to quit for my girls. I wish I would have quit earlier... but happy where I am today.

You are on the right track, and going in the right direction. I also told my husband and talked to a doctor. I also posted on here often. All of that helped me tremendously. And I hope it helps you.

Please PM me anytime, I am happy to listen and chat.

Cheering for ya
Bumble
Old 06-19-2020, 01:03 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Hi Pink,
Hope you have a good plan to get through Friday evening and night and check in soon
Old 06-20-2020, 01:11 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bumblebee2 View Post
Hi pinkbutterfly

Your situation and story have a lot of similarities.
2 young kids, exhausted, anxious and tired
starting to drink again immediately delivering my baby
unable to stop, drinking to stop the shakes
afraid to tell my husband

I have been sober for 2 years now. I struggled for a long time, trying to quit for good. I would sneak and hide drinks from my husband. I finally quit when my youngest was 3, and my oldest was 5. I can remember my youngest asking my why my hand was shaking. And making promises to myself over and over to quit for my girls. I wish I would have quit earlier... but happy where I am today.

You are on the right track, and going in the right direction. I also told my husband and talked to a doctor. I also posted on here often. All of that helped me tremendously. And I hope it helps you.

Please PM me anytime, I am happy to listen and chat.

Cheering for ya
Bumble
this was so encouraging Bumble! I feel very understood and this has been my favorite part of coming to SR is how it makes me realize I am not alone in this and others truly do understand this battle!

the hardest part right now is not my desire to quit, I want that...bad. It’s actually powering through the withdrawal and shakes and anxiety and all the shame for doing this drinking all day for the last month. I have believed the lie that alcohol soothes day in and day out pretty much since my son was born, well about a week after that is when I started drinking. I have never battled like this in my life!

thank you for sharing your story with me and offering support!
Old 06-20-2020, 02:29 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I can't remember where! - but I remember when I very first began giving up someone said to me (or I read, I really can't remember!): Notice the times you are not craving and use them to charge your batteries for the difficult periods

I found this really useful. Sleep (or at least in bed) - 7 hours. I wasn't a morning drinker so any thought of alcohol then id dismiss - 5 more hours. Once I'd broken my day down I realised I was craving HARD between 3-7pm, so I began to plan what to do with myself in this time. Guess what...my answer was to EAT lmao. Or I'd post on here. And if I felt I couldn't resist the craving I just went to bed. It felt really selfish, the AV trying to persuade me that getting pissed was the kind thing for my family....but I reasoned it out and one hour in bed for six hours being present made sense in the end. This lasted about ten days.

The rest of the time I tried to allow myself not to think about booze

(That last sentence is a bit about-face but i think it makes sense!)
Old 06-20-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
I can't remember where! - but I remember when I very first began giving up someone said to me (or I read, I really can't remember!): Notice the times you are not craving and use them to charge your batteries for the difficult periods

I found this really useful. Sleep (or at least in bed) - 7 hours. I wasn't a morning drinker so any thought of alcohol then id dismiss - 5 more hours. Once I'd broken my day down I realised I was craving HARD between 3-7pm, so I began to plan what to do with myself in this time. Guess what...my answer was to EAT lmao. Or I'd post on here. And if I felt I couldn't resist the craving I just went to bed. It felt really selfish, the AV trying to persuade me that getting pissed was the kind thing for my family....but I reasoned it out and one hour in bed for six hours being present made sense in the end. This lasted about ten days.

The rest of the time I tried to allow myself not to think about booze

(That last sentence is a bit about-face but i think it makes sense!)
thansk Be! I am giving myself lots of grace today and thankful it’s Saturday where I can rest and have my husband’s help with the kids! It’s going to be a great sober day!
Old 06-23-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

How are you doing pink butterfly?
Old 06-23-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I've also been thinking of you Pink. Hope you are doing ok and check in soon. We are all here for you.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Agreed, I just checked and you haven't posted for a few days. Come back no matter what is happening. If you drank come back and lets talk about it. If you didn't come back and tell us how many days you have.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:26 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Hi guys, my mom has been in town which has been a blessing with the kids but I have had several glasses of wine with her every night. It’s just what we have always done and I can’t bring myself to admit to her what is going on. I pulled away from here which was not good either and I’ve just been really discouraged. I feel so silly that I can’t kick this. I have never drank like this in my life. I have been drinking nearly every day for 6 weeks and Before now I just drank a few on the weekends with my husband or a glass of wine a few nights a week maybe (in between my pregnancies)...I don’t understand why I can’t stop and why the withdrawals are so bad after just this long when so many others drink for years and don’t withdraw so badly. I’m feeling so down and embarrassed and just like I cannot do this!
Old 06-24-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Please don't be embarrassed to post. Please get some irl help though. Your baby is only a few weeks old and with a toddler too and the last thing you want is for something to happen when thye are in your care. I was lucky nothing happened to my son when he was a baby and I was under the influence. As you say, it only gets worse, not better. You can stop but just need help and tools to do so plus a desire to be sober more than to be drunk.