Notices

Coronavirus (Covid 19) Part 4

Old 04-26-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Re: Coronavirus (Covid 19) Part 4

Originally Posted by TimeNeedsTime View Post
Im hearing here, western europe, that anyone coming into the country will have to isolate for two weeks. This therefore must mean that holidays this year are cancelled.Pubs bars and clubs will not reopen until a vaccine is found. School class sizes will have to be halved as will actual schooling time until a vaccine is found.
No mass gatherings at all either so basically people we are in this for the long haul. Nevermind all this nonsense about easing restrictions, its all being said to keep everyone hopeful.
I do wonder how the catering and entertainment industries are going to continue at all. Even if they're all opened later this year, surely everyone in the vulnerable categories aren't going to want to go out in crowded places for very long (and that's a massive amount of people)? I'm not even in a vulnerable category but I can't see myself wanting to be anywhere very busy for years...
Old 04-26-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
In Norway they are slowly opening up again. Kindergartens were opened last week, classes 1-4 are going back to school tomorrow. Restaurants, hairdressers and some stores are opening tomorrow as well. We have flattened the curve, now it is time to get to that herd immunity.
I'm guessing that here in the UK we might see some easing on what can and can't be open. I'm hoping that a hairdressers (or barbers as they are known here for men's haircuts) can open soon. I was going to get my haircut on the very day the UK Government ordered then shut. I hate it when it gets long as it makes my scalp itchy.

I think the last to re-open will be pubs and sporting stadiums. There was a report in the newspapers a few days ago that pubs could be closed until next year. That's tens of thousands of jobs in the hospitality sector that have gone. Claims for unemployment benefits here have rocketed and the Government have a scheme whereby they have agreed to pay 80% of wages to staff who have been "furloughed" (laid off) up to a maximum of £2,500 a month. The scheme is due to end in June but by then the country could be bankrupt and with no exit strategy in place.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:05 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeaceManic View Post
I do wonder how the catering and entertainment industries are going to continue at all. Even if they're all opened later this year, surely everyone in the vulnerable categories aren't going to want to go out in crowded places for very long (and that's a massive amount of people)? I'm not even in a vulnerable category but I can't see myself wanting to be anywhere very busy for years...

Why for years? I personally would be very comfortable living my normal life once there is a reasonably well-characterized vaccine and some treatments, much like for other infectious diseases.
I don't know about catering, but am pretty sure the entertainment industry (and many other services) will regain a great deal of its consumers by early next year if things open up, unless something yet unpredictable happens. People are very hungry for those things already, often beyond safety and common sense.
Plus, there are already tons of developments to move a lot of entertainment into the virtual world (which is new new at all, more just expanded now) and it will only get better as the technologies improve. I attend lots of online educational events, conferences, discussion and recreational groups online and many are getting increasingly popular/successful, especially among the middle aged and younger generations. They do not replace the physical world counterparts of these events of course, but people flock to them because that's what we can have now. And there is room for much more creativity. Even the beauty and exercise industry is getting online a lot. The businesses that involve eating and drinking, I really don't know, other than via deliveries... but I am pretty sure people will start going to those places within a few weeks when they open. Humanity will not stop striving on pleasure, often at the expense of security and long-term considerations, just like ever before. And we'll not stop being a social species either, long-term.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Mera, sounds like you live in a beautiful place. Love to visit some day. Sorry to hear what you and others' in your community are going through. Must be tough to live in such a beautiful place and not be able to enjoy it. IMHO, money should have nothing to do with having access to all the things your area has to offer. Hope things improve for you and your community soon. John
Old 04-26-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Mera - I think Italy got the worst of this first. I am in the US. I think where I am might open up in the next few months,
2muchpain - like your posts- maybe a more optimistic name? You see like you are doing really well.
A2 - I like your posts but sometimes it seems like a wall of text - condense??
Old 04-26-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nathan57 View Post
A2 - I like your posts but sometimes it seems like a wall of text - condense??

Thanks, you are absolutely right and I know I should work on that. Feedback much appreciated!
Old 04-26-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

in the US, if some states open, but their neighboring states are still under stay at home order - which are done let's remember for public health safety - then what is to prevent an overload of cross-state travel and thus continue community spread and continued RE-infection? this isn't a Georgia epidemic, or Rhode Island - this a global pandemic where cases continue to increase across ALL countries around the world.
Singapore, once held up as the MODEL of how to do this, is now seeing a consistent spike in new cases since loosening restrictions. On March 15 the total case count was 226 - due to strict border control and stay at home measures and contact tracing.
the resurgence in cases comes primarily from migrant (foreign) workers allowed to cross borders and then packed tightly into housing.
Singapore today, April 26, has over 13,000 cases with with 931 reported just today. 226 to 13,264.
the virus will not stop until WE stop it. by staying home, by staying safe, by protecting ourselves, our families, our loved and others. the virus does not recognize borders, or state lines, and could not care less if you are home and an antsy and need a haircut.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Where I am, If MD opens, VA, DC are also going to have to open If noting else, because of the train system. I suspect in early May. Probably second week. I think everyone is nervous about opening It up but once the weather gets warm, it's going to be out of their control. People will just roll the dice and go out.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Old 04-26-2020, 01:11 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
it's a bit ironic....for addiction there is exactly ONE proven treatment methodology that will stop the relentless attack of the disease in it's tracks. STOP DRINKING/USING. pretty simple eh?
Not sure how this relates to opening the Country, but, where I live, if one State opens, everybody opens. There is just no way around it.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never know what day it is without looking at my phone or computer. Each day seems the same as the one before it.

I don't know when Ohio will reopen but I'll be skittish about going out in crowds for a long time.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Not sure how this relates to opening the Country, but, where I live, if one State opens, everybody opens. There is just no way around it.
sorry, i was gonna go on a theme...and then chose against it, trying to delete the post starter.
but since you asked....my point was going to be that just as "simple" as the Don't Drink and When won't get Drunk "solution" is....so is the Stay Home, Stay Safe solution to how to battle the current "disease" plaguing our planet. note i quoted simple (assuming the SR glitches let the quotes show up) because there IS a big difference between Simple and Easy.
(today's death count for the US = 685. Total deaths 205,929 beautiful living breathing humans lost. and every one of those lost souls contracted the virus from someone else. i don't wanna BE that person).
Old 04-26-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys I've been taken to task lately for being too stringent with the politics rule by some, and then not stringent enough by others.

If the mod team agrees your post contains a political element against this rule, you can expect it to be removed.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
We're a recovery site.
Take it to Twitter FB or Reddit..please.
D
Old 04-27-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I never know what day it is without looking at my phone or computer. Each day seems the same as the one before it.

I don't know when Ohio will reopen but I'll be skittish about going out in crowds for a long time.

Agreed. People can do what they want, but as for me, I expect to follow the stay at home order even when it ends. Better safe than sorry. I'm lucky though cause I don't have to work to get by. I can understand why people are willing to take their chances and go to work or open up their businesses. I just hope it goes well. And I don't have kids or a significant other driving me nuts. Everybody's situation is different and I can respect that. Sure could use a haircut though. Beginning to look like Einstein. Take care. John
Old 04-27-2020, 09:38 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I wish the newfound habit of keeping 6 feet distance in public places would last forever in NYC! Not primarily because of infections but it makes my introverted soul happy. Unfortunately, I think that will remain wishful thinking...
Old 04-28-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Plus we wouldn't have to worry about having a shower before going out ever again!

The figures are going down so hopefully this is the beginning of the end.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I've got a dilemma - when can we safely go out to public, really?
Because my sickness is still not gone - it's been more than a freakin' month now, had a break from it last week, but many of the symptoms have been back again since last weekend and it's getting worse again. I see all over it's very typical of COVID for many people to experience symptoms on/off even 2 months after it had started. I feel somewhat better right now as I have taken medicine this morning. OTC cold/flu meds help most of my symptoms except the headache, I hear that's also typical of COVID... I have had killer headaches on and I don't usually experience bad headaches with anything, didn't even get very severe ones often with hangovers. Whatever it is, definitely does not feel like my immune system is getting rid of it steadily.
Now some local Urgent Care clinics offer both swab and antibody testing for anyone, but I am not sure which would be appropriate for me if I decided to go and spend copay money on it. The hospital where I work would not do swab test on me now but also say antibody testing is only offered to those who had a formal prior diagnosis during active illness - so what? The dilemma: I was planning to do both grocery shopping and laundry today (I got into the habit of doing both biweekly) but now am not sure... is it a good idea when I have symptoms again? Of course I would wear a mask and gloves, but who the heck knows anymore.
Sorry about not structuring this post better, the forum software still does not allow proper editing. I only get the options of using Carbon-type and WOL skins on my account and this is with WOL.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I believe you need to be tested Aellyce. Is your Pcp able to order a test for you?
As far as safety: I think mask, gloves, bring a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and wipes. That's what I do. But being that you might be a spreader, I'm not sure. Don't touch anything you don't plan to buy I guess. But really, you need to know, right?
I seem to wake up each day feeling good. Then by the end of the day I don't feel well. I'm pretty darn sure my anxiety is really messing with me. Having workers in my house and being inundated with Covid information pretty much makes me ill. Lol. And not sleeping....although I did last night. I've been doing yoga like a maniac, which is good, until its not. My shoulders are so tight that I am now getting tension migraines....so no yoga. I'm just whining. I guess what I'm saying is, anxiety alone can cause weird symptoms for me. I know Covid can hang on for some time, even reemerge I guess, or so they think. I was wondering if maybe anxiety is getting to you a bit?
Blah, this is all too much. I'm going to clean my garage. Chop wood, carry water. Lol
That's weird my post didn't break up the way I wanted it too. Just a wall of text. I don't think I want to post anymore
Old 04-28-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

And there are 21 cases at my parents home. That's awesome.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I know we humans have our timetables, beliefs, and desires, but I just don't think that Covid got the memo.
I have also read of lingering symptoms and possible reinfection Aellyce. I would avoid going out and mixing as much as possible until we know more. I also did a supply run yesterday with mask and gloves to places that I cannot get curbside service from. I suggest you keep up the vigilance for the immediate future and presumably beyond.
It isn't even certain as far as I understand that antibodies mean immunity to reinfection. Some reports suggest if you've had once you can get it again. So since I have the ability to continue to social distance my plan is to keep it up at least until we have some kind of reliable testing.
I also believe I have had it already as I had very nasty and strange lung infection about 2.5 months ago-- in fact my sense of taste and smell still hasn't returned--but I cannot justify putting other people at possible risk in case I can be reinfected or am initially infected if I haven't had it yet.
Unlike many, I have a job and can still work from home. I don't believe we are anywhere nearly done with this, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, just the most basic research into the Spanish Influenza deserves consideration.
They had no tests (like most of us) and did a form of isolation which did suppress the curve (though they didn't understand it the way we do now) so they thought they had it beat.
If you look at San Francisco in particular, that city was absolutely hammered by a second wave the following Autumn, because they officially ended the isolation / mask-wearing as cases began to decline, and people went back out thinking it was over.
If you pit Nature against Politics, Nature will get the win every time.I am very worried we are about to repeat a historical lesson we apparently didn't yet learn.