Notices

Coronavirus (Covid 19) Part 4

Old 04-25-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Re: Coronavirus (Covid 19) Part 4

Morning all, just popped in to say hi.Hopefully everyone is well.My anxiety etc. is through the roof, just doing my best to try and keep plodding along. Big hugs from me xxx
Old 04-25-2020, 05:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really good to hear from you Petals

D
Old 04-25-2020, 06:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Rutgers University in the US is apparently working on a saliva test that will make it easier and faster to get test results. I think a large increase in testing is the only way folks will feel more comfortable resuming any kind of pre virus normal life.

This virus is insidious. Folks are dying from blood clots and strokes in their 30's and 40's and didn't even know they were carrying the virus.

My wife is pretty adamant about not going on our annual summer beach vacation, even if things are reopened at that point. We have already paid for the week, but the money is not the object. If we can't feel comfortable, there is no enjoyment to be had.

Son looks as though he will be part of a drive by graduation from high school. I am not certain how that is going to play out. Like everything else with this virus, we are figuring it out one day at a time.

Be safe all!
Old 04-25-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Beautiful day here in NYC. Just came back from a long walk and will spend the rest of the day in a virtual conference I really look forward to. It is related to mental health, which is my professional area, but a new direction for me that I am just getting into work-wise.
Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
My wife is pretty adamant about not going on our annual summer beach vacation, even if things are reopened at that point. We have already paid for the week, but the money is not the object. If we can't feel comfortable, there is no enjoyment to be had.
I also made some big vacation plans for this year that I am definitely cancelling (luckily no booking yet). Instead, I am thinking perhaps I will finally make one of my solo road trips real... I did one of those a few years ago in Arizona/Utah/Nevada. Just had a car and kept everything quite minimalistic except all the beautiful nature and cultural explorations, and it turned out one of my best trips ever. That still required air travel to get to the starting point and back, but I'm thinking perhaps this year I'll opt something that can be done by driving only - there are definitely still plenty of places I would love to see within that distance. Regarding managing anxiety - one thing I always find very useful is to keep my chosen engagements and activities focused on interests, things and people that I find reasonably positive and inspiring, both online and offline. I definitely didn't do this well when I was drinking and for a good while in early sobriety, a lot of my choices were still pretty obsessive, my engagements compulsive, and I used a lot of all that to distract myself from what would have been much more important, constructive, and nourishing. That's one area of my life that I have changed quite dramatically in the past 2-3 years. There are already so many things we all have to deal with on a daily basis because they are linked to stuff we value but do not necessarily enjoy or find helpful, so better not to make similar deliberate choices on top. I also personally don't like dwelling on and talking about my momentary feelings (including anxiety) too much unless they carry important information and value beyond the moment as well. I know this is controversial and many people suggest getting in touch with emotions more, but IMO that is also one of those things useful in a reasonable dose, selectively, and in the appropriate and helpful context. Anxiety is definitely the most dominant negative emotion for me generally, and sometimes it is very good to pay attention because it tells me something important, but I would say >50% of the time momentary anxiety is just random, ever-changing physiological noise and better to ignore/shift focus. Anger/irritation can be similar for me, although much less problematic than anxiety, and I kinda prefer it because anger can be a great source of motivation and change of channeled correctly. Unfortunately, the virus is not going to go away for a good while, so it is important to develop both practical and emotional strategies to deal with it in ways that's the most protective and helpful for the individual and community. I think this takes a while and some tinkering for all of us.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Has anyone else taken up afternoon napping? Or is that just me? Also my weight has increased. My two dogs are now frightened when they see the walking leads coming out. They want to be left alone to enjoy some of this napping business. Im bloody sick of walking aimlessly as well. I dont blame them, lol, not one bit.
Im thinking of investing in a Zorb ball to take this social distancing to a whole new level. Maybe soon we will all be Zorb balling around, doing our thang.
rant over, sighs..........
Old 04-25-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimeNeedsTime View Post
Has anyone else taken up afternoon napping? Or is that just me? Also my weight has increased. My two dogs are now frightened when they see the walking leads coming out. They want to be left alone to enjoy some of this napping business. Im bloody sick of walking aimlessly as well. I dont blame them, lol, not one bit.
Im thinking of investing in a Zorb ball to take this social distancing to a whole new level. Maybe soon we will all be Zorb balling around, doing our thang.
rant over, sighs..........

A little bit re napping. Mostly when I was sick (with what may have been COVID) but occasionally also when I just want to press the refresh button a little. I am really a morning person (have been for many years), meaning that I normally start my days around 5-6am every day, so a noon or early pm nap can be nice sometimes. Haha on Zorb balling - I think we are already doing that in imagination On walking aimlessly: are there areas in your neighborhood that are actually interesting to explore? I always vary my walking. Also make them richer and more productive by listening to podcasts, audiobooks, or just music quite often. Not sure how well that would work with dogs though as I walk solo, but maybe try that and leave the dogs at home sometimes. Or take photos with your phone and do some art project with them at home if you are into that sort of thing.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, I've been napping a lot, just to escape. Waking up to realize the nightmare we're all in is not a fun way to wake up.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Been taking more naps myself. Finally got enough courage to go outside for a walk. Washed my hands as soon as I got home. Got a call a few days ago to see if I had any questions. My regular doctor wants to talk with me about something. Little concerned about that. Anyway, it's gonna be a virtual meeting on Monday. That's a first. My health insurance company also wanted for me to set up a call with one of their doctor's on Tuesday. Two doctor's appointments and I don't even have to leave my apartment. Now that's just wierd. I'm doing great so don't understand the concern, but I really appreciate that there are people out there thinking about me. Sitting alone in my apartment is a real bummer, so I'll take concerns from anybody a blessing. The nice thing is that if things go south, I'll know who to contact. John
Old 04-25-2020, 04:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the calls will be just routine John
D
Old 04-25-2020, 04:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Napping check, gained 10 lbs check. Lost 4lbs. now that I 'm back to work one week.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope the calls will be just routine John
D

Haven't had any tests done in a long time so it must have to do with what's going on right now. Besides, my knees are giving me a lot of trouble lately. Lots of pain, probably due to not doing any cardio for a month. Gives me a chance to run that by them. John
Old 04-25-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

could be

D
Old 04-25-2020, 05:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've been napping, too. I have so many things I want to do, but am just exhausted a lot of the time. I'm glad I'm not working right now, I don't know how I would manage that. I hope your doctor's virtual visits go well, John. I know what you mean about enjoying their concern. I never knew I was so alone in the world until this happened. That's probably true for a lot of people in the world now.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm hoping my weight has peaked and I'm on the down side of the curve. I'm trying to flatten my curve and my stomach's curve.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:01 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is the Pacific evading coronavirus, or is it running a few weeks behind Australia on the infection curve?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...id-19/12174024
Warning: in the article, there's a [totally unnecessary] shot of a couple enjoying a beachside beverage if that kind of thing triggers you.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
A little bit re napping. Mostly when I was sick (with what may have been COVID) but occasionally also when I just want to press the refresh button a little. I am really a morning person (have been for many years), meaning that I normally start my days around 5-6am every day, so a noon or early pm nap can be nice sometimes. Haha on Zorb balling - I think we are already doing that in imagination On walking aimlessly: are there areas in your neighborhood that are actually interesting to explore? I always vary my walking. Also make them richer and more productive by listening to podcasts, audiobooks, or just music quite often. Not sure how well that would work with dogs though as I walk solo, but maybe try that and leave the dogs at home sometimes. Or take photos with your phone and do some art project with them at home if you are into that sort of thing.
Thanks for the reply.Oh im lucky with the exploring while walking scene. Outside the front door I have all the poison the city has to offer, and out the back its rolling feilds forests etc...... Its just the monotiny of it all. Also I dare not go out without the dogs through fear of the police trying to feel my collar lol.TV and news is dire, im withered from netflixing and chilling, herself will tell you this as well. On the plus side of everything my daughter has restarted school. Okay its only virtually but it is better than nothing. She must log into the school system at 9am sharp so that is good. My eldest has become amazons number one shopper. The amount of shoes and clothes being delivered is insane. She is now eyeing up a pair of louis vitton running shoes for the eye watering price of over 600 euros. I hope her boyfriend is going to pay it, because I most certainly am not.
This is my life on lockdown today. The same as yesterday and the same again tomorrow.
Oh well im off for another nap, lol.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
I'm hoping my weight has peaked and I'm on the down side of the curve. I'm trying to flatten my curve and my stomach's curve.
Bravo! Top top post there Abraham. Take a bow.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:51 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday everyone. Is that what day it is? Who even knows anymore!So from everything I can gather on the news we will move into "phase 2" here in Italy on May 4th. The problem is, no one, including the politicians, really know what that means. They say they are looking at it now, but one thing that will stop is the constant police and military stops asking why you are out. It seems like (but still isn't really clear) we will be able to go out for walks, runs or bike rides within our own town. Some important manufacturing businesses will open up also. Other than that it is still being decided what this all means. For sure no restaurants open of hair salons, other gatherings. I live in a seaside town and we depend a lot on summer tourism which will of course take a nose dive this year. Another really upsetting thing is the "free beaches" will be closed all summer. We have hundreds of beach clubs lining the seaside here. Families and friends rent an umbrella for the season and it is super nice, you have your own little area with sun beds, chairs a table and then a storage closet/changing room- some with personal showers. There are tho showers available at the club, some have pools, most have activities for children, playgrounds, beach tennis, etc. All have a restaurant and a bar where you can get food and drink throughout the day. They have said that the spacing between umbrellas will need to increase, thus limiting the number of families they can take and increasing prices. All activities for children and adults- playgrounds, beach tennis, etc, will be off limits. The free beaches are where you can go and just lay a towel down in the sand. There is no establishment, restroom, restaurant, whatever. You just go and can enjoy the beach without paying. But now those areas will be closed because they can't enforce the social distance needed. So going to the beach this summer will be reserved for those with money. Very upsetting for may people!
Old 04-26-2020, 08:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I live in the North-East United States. I can tell you right now, once it hits 70 degrees everyone will be everywhere. There will probably be a second wave of the virus. We have a really good Gov. but people will get cabin fever and start throwing caution to the wind and, my prediction, it will spread again. Only hope is the heat knocks it out.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

In Norway they are slowly opening up again. Kindergartens were opened last week, classes 1-4 are going back to school tomorrow. Restaurants, hairdressers and some stores are opening tomorrow as well. We have flattened the curve, now it is time to get to that herd immunity.