Notices

Class of April 2020 Part One

Old 04-05-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Looking forward to this group

Hi there,
I am on day 4 and really looking forward to connecting with others on the same path!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:38 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome newhope3

D
Old 04-05-2020, 07:41 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bwca View Post
Day 8 anybody have any suggestions on dealing with the anxiety and impending doom. Seems to come on all of a sudden later every day today it didn't start till 6 and then eased off I found saying the rosary helps quite a bit
Bwca / I'm clinically diagnosed also with anxiety/panic/depression - and it did take me awhile to find something that worked for me when it came to spikes in anxiety like you describe. I recall those feelings of impending doom and they can be so debilitating. Have you talked to or have access to a fam doc? or a psychiatrist? rapid access addictions medicine clinic, etc. Since you're working hard here maybe you can get to work on this too?

As for me, I was taught breathing techniques to calm myself and they actually work. There are so many techniques to use.

I also distract my anxiety/panic by playing what I call the "ABC Game" to direct my mind somewhere else. Example: Starting at the letter A, name a city in the world. Athens! Okay now B. Barcelona! And so on... the nice thing about this is I change topics all the time and usually I never get through A to Z before my anxiety/panic spike has dissapated!

Having said all this, I really believe it's all about finding what's right for you. There's so much out there! It took me awhile to find little tricks here and there. And I'm still adjusting here and there to give myself the best toolbox possible.

If you need to chat. We're all here for you.

Take care
Old 04-05-2020, 07:42 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

welcome newhope3!!!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Day 8 anybody have any suggestions on dealing with the anxiety and impending doom. Seems to come on all of a sudden later every day today it didn't start till 6 and then eased off I found saying the rosary helps quite a bit
I don’t really suffer from this too much, other than at night sometimes when everyone else is sleeping and I’m trying to get to sleep as well and the mind just turns in on itself. I can start to feel a sense of panic for no reason - like I might just stop breathing or that I’m in danger. It happens very rarely (and only when I’m sober) but when it does it’s horrible.

As Dig says ‘distraction techniques’ are very helpful. In fact for me it is the only thing that works. I have to get up. Go to another room. Switch on the lights and do something. Watch YouTube, read a book, write some emails, look at photos.... anything. I just have to halt the process of my mind turning in on itself further and get out of that feeling of panic via the technique of ‘distraction’.

JT
Old 04-05-2020, 08:30 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Administrator

bwca

I have to make sure I get enough exercise (whether actual exercise or projects or chores) to feel tired at night

I also make sure I check the news only to the point I think I can stand. Somedays are fine...somedays I only want to get morning headlines and some days I skip news entirely.

I have old favourites in TV shows, movies, music and books and I'm engaging a lot with those right now.

I stay in touch with friends and family online.

This is not for everyone of course, but I also pray - not for myself so much as the world in general - that helps centre me too.

D
Old 04-05-2020, 09:05 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Day 6

I still feel pretty awful from stomach cramping and limited food intake but I’m hoping I can feel the first modicum of recovery?

Despite this I did get a few things done yesterday:

I did get Mrs JT to shave my head with clippers all over. I was beginning to look a state because all the barbers are on shutdown in the UK so it’s back to the very short ‘army cut’ all over. It looks ok even on my old head.

I forced myself to walk 7.25 miles yesterday (3.75 in the morning + 3.5 in the afternoon). We’re only supposed to go out once a day in the UK but to be honest I live in the middle of nowhere and see absolutely no one 99% of the time (and if I do we keep well apart around here - like 5 meters at least). There are only a few houses in my village and after that no other villages for miles and miles around. Just fields. I wake today with swollen feet, a blister on my left heel and sore ankles. But I’m pleased I did it as I need to get back my fitness.

Gyms are closed here too so I raided the garage for all my old equipment. I have resistance exercise bands, four 10kg barbell plates with holes to grip them (without a bar), a heavy kettle bell, heavy bag, speedball and a very very light set of dumbbells. I’m pretty sure I can design a full body workout with these and intend to have a 60 minute session today with them. It will be kind of fun to set it all up in the garden and on the patio during a break from my work (I’m working from my office at home at the moment).

Other than that I feel pretty Zen. I can’t change what is going on the World - I can only adapt. I cannot drink again unless I want to die as last time was the worst ever (by far) and it gets worse everytime. Next time would be hospitalisation as an absolute minimum and I can’t stand that both physically, emotionally or mentally.

Stay safe everyone. Stay sober.

Best Regards,

JT
Old 04-05-2020, 09:23 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

I get the same anxiety/doom after a binge. It usually takes a week or so to dissipate completely. Brain chemistry needs time to adjust after being being soaked in alcohol. Until then, I am anxious because I can't remember what I did during my bender and all my money is gone.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Morning everyone,

I hope you are all well, and coping okay with the corona lockdowns around the world.

I have been on and off these forums over the years- the last time I tried to get sober was in 2018.

I only sought therapy very recently, and was diagnosed with BPD. Alcohol has always been an enormous problem throughout my life, and now it becomes more apparent why. I am facing up to the reality of who I am, and what alcohol does to me, and I want to save the remnants of the life I have.

I suppose I always thought I could manage the alcohol, but then there is always an enormous, destructive binge somewhere on the horizon, where I do so much damage that I completely ruin everything I have worked for for so long.

I'm pretty much on my last chance in the relationship Im currently in, and she is really a special person. Losing her would be an enormous loss. I'm tired of the status quo- I want to change.

Day 4 today. Feeling pretty down, but also strong in my desire to achieve sobriety. I hope to be here in many days to come.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:30 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Welcome ee1979. I also received a late in life diagnosis for a mental disorder. I was 35 when I finally received confirmation I have ADHD. Alcohol was a coping mechanism and way to self-medicate. Unfortunately, I already lost everything and still am a chronic relapser. 43 now, my life is just as bad sober, but I never stop trying!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:30 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back ee

D
Old 04-06-2020, 02:33 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Good morning April's
I've just popped in from the April 2018 class to share with you all that I have 2 years sober today. I'm in a very different place in my head to where I was this time 2 years ago and it's a much better place too. I just want you all to know that staying sober isn't easy, especially in these early days but I can promise you all that the longer you stick with it, the easier it gets and that's the truth. Staying sober is the best thing that I've ever done for myself..... and my family.
Just focus on today, take care of yourself as best you can, listen to what your body is telling you, eat as healthily as you can, drink as much water as possible to re-hydrate, rest when you need to and try and fit some exercise in, even if it's only a walk round the block ( at a socially safe distance of course!). When you do get the urge drink, please come and post first.
Gratitude has played a huge part in my sobriety, there is always, always something to be grateful for and if you can't think of anything, just be grateful you woke up this morning.

Much love to all of you.

Stay safe and don't forget to wash your hands. xxxxxx
Old 04-06-2020, 03:32 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome newhope3

D
thank you!
Old 04-06-2020, 03:40 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Welcome ee1979. I also received a late in life diagnosis for a mental disorder. I was 35 when I finally received confirmation I have ADHD. Alcohol was a coping mechanism and way to self-medicate. Unfortunately, I already lost everything and still am a chronic relapser. 43 now, my life is just as bad sober, but I never stop trying!
I completely identify with the self-medicating with regards to alcohol. Thanks for reply. I hope you are doing okay now.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:41 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post
Good morning April's
I've just popped in from the April 2018 class to share with you all that I have 2 years sober today. I'm in a very different place in my head to where I was this time 2 years ago and it's a much better place too. I just want you all to know that staying sober isn't easy, especially in these early days but I can promise you all that the longer you stick with it, the easier it gets and that's the truth. Staying sober is the best thing that I've ever done for myself..... and my family.
Just focus on today, take care of yourself as best you can, listen to what your body is telling you, eat as healthily as you can, drink as much water as possible to re-hydrate, rest when you need to and try and fit some exercise in, even if it's only a walk round the block ( at a socially safe distance of course!). When you do get the urge drink, please come and post first.
Gratitude has played a huge part in my sobriety, there is always, always something to be grateful for and if you can't think of anything, just be grateful you woke up this morning.

Much love to all of you.

Stay safe and don't forget to wash your hands. xxxxxx
congratulations on 2 years sober- that's an inspiration.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

I'm in! Today is my day one.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Welcome dear shammy!!! s xx ❤️
Old 04-06-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

JT / great job on getting moving with walking and working out! Keep going!!! You're doing awesome!

ee1979 / welcome aboard! happy to have you here in our April 2020 group. keep in touch often

Daisybelle / thank you for stopping in to say hello and give us inspiration... 2 years is very impressive, keep going, be strong

shammy / very warm welcome! you're in a good place here on SR

TTYL
Old 04-06-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

And good morning dear dig and ee and everyone. xx ❤️
Old 04-06-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Welcome ee1979, shammy, et al. Thank you Daisy for stopping by with your encouraging words and presence! I want to get there too, and live in peace and light.

Well, it's time to fire up the lawnmower, string trimmer, blower, etc. I much prefer growing vegetables to mowing the lawn (yawn...), but now I hear there's a run on vegetable seeds and seedlings. Geez, we haven't got past the tp thing yet. Still lots of canned tomatoes from last year, but it's time for fresh greens! Spring salads! Victory gardens are back in the news, as well. A bit of good news I guess.

Stay close, stay secure!