Notices

Class of April 2020 Part One

Old 04-04-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I was a late member of the March class. I have been on/off the wagon. I finally have 5 days under my belt and today will be day 6, though I'm trying not to focus on consecutive numbers anymore. I think that sets me up for failure. Also, I wonder if being here discussing the not drinking makes me want to drink more, if that makes sense. So, I won't say I'm joining the April class, but I would love to check in from time to time. I'd like to see how everyone is doing and update, as well.
I will say that today I will not drink. I made a calendar and am rewarding myself with a star for the days I don't drink. This seems to give me some sort of incentive to stay with it, because I want to wake up feeling good and add another star to my calendar each morning after a night of not drinking. Since I started 15 days ago, I have not had a drink 11 out of those 15 days. 11/4. I hope to fill April up with a star every single day. That's sorta my goal, though I'm not going to look that far ahead. I will say that today I plan to wake up in the morning and add another star to my calendar. One star/day at a time. Today I will not drink.

I'm wishing all of you another day of sobriety and that we all wake up tomorrow morning feeling great! One day at a time.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:28 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey teetotaler
Congrats on 5 days

Also, I wonder if being here discussing the not drinking makes me want to drink more, if that makes sense.
Or your addiction would love you to think that maybe?
It hates when you find and use support.

wanting to drink more IMO is active alcoholism, not because we're talking about it.

If you post less on SR what will your recovery action plan look like?
D
Old 04-04-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Ahhhh, you may be right about that, Dee. Any thoughts of drinking are definitely my beast talking...so I know you're are right. Perhaps I should check in more often.

Forgive me while I ramble a bit.

One is never enough, I've tried and know the results of it. Waking up thirsting for water, feeling like hello for the rest of the day. I don't want to put myself through it anymore. So when I want to drink (just one), I'm trying to focus on how I'll feel the next morning. The regret is overwhelming.

On the days I haven't given in, but had strong cravings, I often poured some juice in a wine glass and sip slowly. It's a mind game that helps me get through.

I sometimes pick up my Rational Recovery book and read some of my favorite sections.

Most often I say to myself, "I will not have a drink for the next hour/fifteen minutes; the time limit according to how strong the urge is. Usually after the time has passed, the craving is gone. The cravings definitely come in waves. I'm practicing riding them out.

I am going to make April a month of sobriety, but I have to think of it in terms of "I will not drink today...I will not drink in the next hour...the next fifteen minutes." Anything more than that is a bit too much to think about. I can't think about the long term of a whole month... so just for today, I will not drink.

I'm sure you're right that it's my AV whispering in my ear, lying to me, as usual. So I will be checking in throughout the month. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:11 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

JustTony / I'm so sorry to hear this // it is such a terrible virus and it seems to affect everyone differently... it doesn't discriminate against age, ethnicity, healthy or not healthy...

Take care of yourself. I can imagine just how hard this is at a time like this.

Stay safe.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:15 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hey Citrus (or anyone else that knows)

What are these online SMART meetings? Are they free? What are they like?

I want to know more!
Old 04-04-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi dig, I don't do SMART at all, but I am sure that they are free and lots of peeps love them....do you have a link? I can find it for you if you don't. s xx ❤️
Old 04-04-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Day 4

Friend of a friend died two days ago (I just heard). She was 27 years old with no underlying health conditions. I’ve seen some photographs of her on tribute pages. Beautiful young lady. Tragic to be taken at such a young age by this terrible virus.

As I sit here by candlelight, as my entire house sleeps and reflect on my life and current ‘troubles’ it puts everything into perspective.

#BeKind

JT
I am so very sorry Tony. s
Old 04-04-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teetotaler56 View Post
Ahhhh, you may be right about that, Dee. Any thoughts of drinking are definitely my beast talking...so I know you're are right. Perhaps I should check in more often.

Forgive me while I ramble a bit.

One is never enough, I've tried and know the results of it. Waking up thirsting for water, feeling like hello for the rest of the day. I don't want to put myself through it anymore. So when I want to drink (just one), I'm trying to focus on how I'll feel the next morning. The regret is overwhelming.

On the days I haven't given in, but had strong cravings, I often poured some juice in a wine glass and sip slowly. It's a mind game that helps me get through.

I sometimes pick up my Rational Recovery book and read some of my favorite sections.

Most often I say to myself, "I will not have a drink for the next hour/fifteen minutes; the time limit according to how strong the urge is. Usually after the time has passed, the craving is gone. The cravings definitely come in waves. I'm practicing riding them out.

I am going to make April a month of sobriety, but I have to think of it in terms of "I will not drink today...I will not drink in the next hour...the next fifteen minutes." Anything more than that is a bit too much to think about. I can't think about the long term of a whole month... so just for today, I will not drink.

I'm sure you're right that it's my AV whispering in my ear, lying to me, as usual. So I will be checking in throughout the month. Thank you.
When I got sober in AA a zillion years ago, I really struggled for a while. And my sponsor told me one minute at a time, one hour....whatever I needed....take it in small bites. And call her if I needed her.

Call out if you need us....we are right here. s
Sending you huge hugs....so wonderful to see you. xxx ❤️
Old 04-04-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the support, Venus.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:02 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Hi dig, I don't do SMART at all, but I am sure that they are free and lots of peeps love them....do you have a link? I can find it for you if you don't. s xx ❤️
That might be helpful. I looked around and found a bunch. Not sure which is the "real" thing. It sounds like something I would actually do. I'm not into the going out to a meeting thing. But I could find a quiet room in the house to do online meetings.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

What country are you in dear dig? I just saw the UK link in another thread....not sure where you are though. xx
Old 04-04-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teetotaler56 View Post
Thank you so much for the support, Venus.
With you all every step.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:12 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for their condolences but as I said in my post the poor young lady was a friend of a friend - I didn’t know her personally. It just struck me as being so tragic. I know every death is terrible but it hits home just a little bit harder when the very young die far before their time.

JT
Old 04-04-2020, 08:12 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
What country are you in dear dig? I just saw the UK link in another thread....not sure where you are though. xx
Canada
Old 04-04-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

This should help I hope. xx

...nope bad link....

maybe this one.....

https://www.smartrecovery.org/smart-...covery-online/
Old 04-04-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Teetotaler -- so agree about the conflict of counting and checking in and needing to obsess more about this process. The AV loves this drama.

I'm due for my weekly shopping and that's probably my biggest trigger right now. Fortunately there is one local store that is "safe" for me. My regular shop feels waaaaay too tempting.

Today I'm remembering this line about the downside of not drinking: "The worst that can happen is a feeling." It's really true. Which makes me think of this other meme I love: "So far you've survived 100% of your worst days. You are doing great."
Old 04-04-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silversky View Post
Teetotaler -- so agree about the conflict of counting and checking in and needing to obsess more about this process. The AV loves this drama.

I'm due for my weekly shopping and that's probably my biggest trigger right now. Fortunately there is one local store that is "safe" for me. My regular shop feels waaaaay too tempting.

Today I'm remembering this line about the downside of not drinking: "The worst that can happen is a feeling." It's really true. Which makes me think of this other meme I love: "So far you've survived 100% of your worst days. You are doing great."
Thank you for understanding that sometimes it's best to back off from it all.

I'm having a bit of a struggle today, where I've been feeling pretty confident the past few days. I had glass in hand a couple hours ago and decided to wait for an hour. I got past it, but still having a bit of a struggle.

I love both the quotes, especially "The worst that can happen is a feeling." I'm going to write that on my chalkboard near the fridge. Thank you for that.

Stay strong and visit the "safe" store. We can do this.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Posting these awesome links for everyone. s xx

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (Urge Surfing)
Old 04-04-2020, 11:54 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Thank you, Venus! Going there now. You are awesome!
Old 04-04-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dig12 View Post
Hey Citrus (or anyone else that knows)

What are these online SMART meetings? Are they free? What are they like?

I want to know more!
Hi Dig. Here is a link to the meeting list. Totally free! And there are a lot more online meetings going on now than normal.

https://www.smartrecovery.org/commun...y=2020-4-4&c=6